Builds 78 Mustard Yellow FJ40 #Tiger40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No cracks
@iptman it’s machine work in the casting from factory

IMG_4936.jpeg

Last edited:
No cracks
@iptman it’s machine work in the casting from factory

View attachment 3561102

I love that you're sticking with the thermal reactor manifold. I wish I could have with my California spec 77. I still have it sitting on the shelf if I ever find a welder willing and able to handle cast iron.

I love that you're sticking with the thermal reactor manifold. I wish I could have with my California spec 77. I still have it sitting on the shelf if I ever find a welder willing and able to handle cast iron.
I was hesitant at first and wanted carb legal Downey headers, but I am digging the oem spec vibe now. It will look better put together this way 👍🏼

Cast iron welding seems to be a lot more common than it used to. You might find someone willing to take it on!

I know a guy that will do it. He did the manifold on my tractor last year. He's out in Hume.

I knew the most time consuming deal of this project would be detailing all the parts as best as possible. The manifolds are looking good and now it’s time to get everything else nice and clean!

The air pump hoses are basically unobtanium and had this brown tinge I couldn’t clean off. So I opted to wire wheel the crud off and use a skim coat of SEM trim black. This stuff is almost like dye if you spray it just right.

IMG_5039.jpeg

IMG_5040.jpeg

IMG_5041.jpeg

Then I wire wheeled as much corrosion as I could off any zinc plated parts and sprayed them with corrosionx.

IMG_5046.jpeg

Last thing to tackle was wire wheeling the hose clamps and painting them silver to match the new oem clamps in the engine bay. I’ll likely replace the clamps down the road, but I don’t want to spend money on new ones until the smog system has passed the test.

IMG_5044.jpeg

All done! I will probably spray another coat on the zinc plated parts tomorrow.

IMG_5043.jpeg

I got (purloined from my son) a rock tumbler that I clean small parts like nuts, bolts, washers brackets, hose clamps etc in with mineral spirits. I then douse all that jazz after a quick rinse and dry with Corrosion X (magic sauce) in a paper towel and leave to do its magic sauce thing.

Works a treat and gets into the crannies wire wheels/brushes can’t.

Your build is inspiring.

I got (purloined from my son) a rock tumbler that I clean small parts like nuts, bolts, washers brackets, hose clamps etc in with mineral spirits. I then douse all that jazz after a quick rinse and dry with Corrosion X (magic sauce) in a paper towel and leave to do its magic sauce thing.

Works a treat and gets into the crannies wire wheels/brushes can’t.

Your build is inspiring.
Thank you! This is my first time using this stuff. I’m already impressed by the results in just a short while. Can’t wait to see how it looks tomorrow morning.

Thank you! This is my first time using this stuff. I’m already impressed by the results in just a short while. Can’t wait to see how it looks tomorrow morning.
It’s also the best penetrant I’ve ever used.
It really is amazing and the stuff in the blue can is thick as snot and hangs out forever.

Great job. Cool to see parts that some PO pulled from my rig in Idaho years ago, that I carted to New England and stuffed away for years now end up nice and shiny in California.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom