Builds The Trail Snail Build | Above Average Overlandish (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@SmokingRocks

Hot damn that's cool!

Thanks, I did the same thing with my 89 Bmer and it made it feel modern and sweet. And the way I did it is so subtle and is exactly the same way new luxury cars are doing it so it doesn't feel gimiky or ricey, Also my custom gauges are all red back lit and I've converted my entire center stack to be red so it works really well together.

Last edited:
Replaced the motor in my driver-side door lock today, and dynomatted the door.

IMG_9656.jpeg

IMG_9657.jpeg

Ok red interior accent lighting is complete. Pictures don't do it justice, it's either too dark or too bright, but in person, it's very subtle, just barely enough light to highlight the areas.

I turned my exposure way up on this one to exaggerate the effect so you can see all the accents, it's not really like this in person,
IMG_3392 (2).jpg

In actuality, it is more like this, if not even dimmer. It's very hard to capture the effect in a photo, it kinda looks ricery to me seeing it like this, but that is not how it is in person, I'm very happy with it.
IMG_3396.jpg

Got some bike maintenance done, and accidentally stumbled into another KE175, that is more complete and has a title.
IMG_9826.jpeg

IMG_9828.jpeg
IMG_9848.jpeg

So my dirt bike decided to smash my back window last weekend... Fortunatly I had bought a replacement hatch years ago from a buddy who was stripping an 80, my hatch had some bad dents in it from the PO so my intent was to always change it out. Although I had planned on waiting until winter so I could put the rig out of service for a while to perform the complete repaint & trim... Guess that's happening sooner now..

IMG_0273.jpeg

IMG_0289.jpeg

As I said, this is forcing my hand to get going on the repaint & trim replacement, so I took a shot of whiskey and pulled the trigger on my cart full of belt moldings, rear slider window seals + runs as well as various clips and things.

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 1.51.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 1.50.47 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 1.50.34 PM.png

Well a friend of mine wanted to do a harder trail so I took him on Spring Creek
IMG_0469.jpg

which was a lot of fun, the trail has about a 250-300 yard long boulder field that has lines for 33" tires all the way to 40" tires. Well I went full ham on the 37-40" tire lines with my rig on 35's 😬
IMG_0441.jpeg
IMG_0453.jpeg
IMG_0457.jpeg

IMG_2426.jpeg

Last edited:
Annnnnd this is what happens when you full send a rig on 35's down the extreme line:

• Broken Aisin hub
  • Exploded Birfield
  • Grenaded rear differential
  • Bent lower control arm
  • smashed front camera
IMG_0480 2.jpeg
IMG_0481 2.jpeg
IMG_0486.jpeg
IMG_0487.jpeg
IMG_0488.jpeg

Spring Creek is the only trail in Colorado that I’ve done multiple times and each time broke something.

Diffs out and in its cradle.
IMG_0505.jpeg

IMG_0506.jpeg

Started a new job this week that pays so much better but does have a 110 mile daily round trip. So i figured it was time to stop deferring my Camrys maintenance if I want it to last another year.

1. Valve cover gaskets
2. Spark plug seals
3. Engine mounts
4. Sway bar bushings
5. Spark plugs
6. Timing belt
7. Power steering flush
8. Coolant flush
9. Passenger side cv replacement (had a ripped boot)

She’s happy to finally have some attention

IMG_0698.jpeg

IMG_0700.jpeg

Setting my pinion depth on my replacement 4.88's

1st try, pinion inner race spaced out 1.28mm, looks a little deep.
IMG_0706.jpeg

IMG_0707.jpeg

2nd try, Inner pinion race shim reduced to 1.18, looks pretty spot on.
IMG_0708.jpeg

IMG_0709.jpeg

IMG_0710.jpeg

Happy with the depth now it's time to set the solid spacer shim pack. I'll start with the full shim pack, fully assemble it then measure the movement and take out that much plus an additional 10 thou from the shim pack and recheck. Pretty done with working on it so that'll probably be a tomorrow job.

Solid spacer started with the full shim stack, 1.82mm, that was just barely too much so I pulled out 5 thou and it was still too much so I backed it down to 1.70mm and that seems to be the ticket. Torqued the nut to 180ft-lb, and got the backlash set to about .006" a bit tight but it was the best I could get. Total preload is a touch heavy at 25-30in-lbs (top spec in the book is ~23) but that should break in just fine. The pattern is totally acceptable.

I've had enough fun doing this so I think that's good enough to get sent back into service.
IMG_0716.jpeg
IMG_0720.jpeg
IMG_0719.jpeg
IMG_0721.jpeg

Well after much frustration and many months, I finally got the e30 touring home from the body shop.
IMG_0933.jpg
IMG_0917.jpg

The camry's been a good steed, however the opportunity arrose to upgrade so that's how this 2007 TL ended up in my possession.

IMG_1180.jpg

More non-land cruiser content, but tbh I use this thread to document all my motor vehicle adventures, IMO they are all linked, so if you don't like it then meh.
I replaced the rotors with cross-drilled units, and semi-organic pads, then I bled the whole system on the TL. Also, I replaced the ancient sat nav, which had a broken Bluetooth module, with a Tesla screen unit. Lastly, I put snow tires on my stock rims and got new summer tires for my new summer rims.
IMG_1220.jpeg

IMG_1247.jpeg
IMG_1190.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom