Builds The Weasel - HDJ80 build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ragnaroek

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi togehter. Since i'm already spamming the what-did-you-do-with-your-80-thread with pictures i came to the conclusion that i should start a build thread.

About me: I'm currently 25, service engineer for agricultual machinery/automated milking and feeding, living in the countryside near Cologne, Germany. So please excuse me If I f*** something up trying to write somehow entertaining in English.

About the Cruiser: A few years ago, before Brexit and import taxes, a good friend of mine bought a rusty, but mechanicaly sound HDJ80 from England. 96 model, 300k miles, lots of rust, triple locked, AC, 3rd row seats, all the gimmicks. Half of them were broken, but that's something for another day... Oh, and did i mention the rust?

Anyways, that car sat in his barn for few years, because it was No. 25 on a long list of projects, collecting dust and more rust, because the stupid barn started flooding one winter.

A few months ago he offered to sell it to me (he's got like 4 or 5 other cruisers and a heap of other cars that want attention...) for about what he payed four years ago, dirt cheap for todays market value in Germany. Of course I said yes immediatly, despite having no space and time whatsoever for another project car.
A few weeks later i was able to get it home.

IMG_20230923_184026_004~3.jpg

So now i owned another wonderful Cruiser with loads of work to do to get it registered and road legal.
One of the main Problems, besides the rust: a weasel (Mustela nivalis) decided to reside inside of this majestic vehicle while it was stored.

IMG_20230925_193941_209.jpg

At least no rats and mice entered the car alive...

IMG_20230925_195207_048.jpg

I ripped out the (mostly broken) power seats, the absolutely disgusting carpet (at least the part of it that wasn't used by the former tenants to build a nest behind the dashboard) and started cleaning. I wanted to get the car into a state that you could at least sit in the drivers seat and breathe properly without getting sick.

I made a to-do-list about every other problem i found, and decided to start the build right now, putting my 90% finished BJ73 on the backburner. ADHD makes you take stupid decisions, but life's more fun that way...

To be continued.

I can appreciate them kind of shenanigans, and that barn, it does something for me. Welcome to the shenanigan zone.

Last edited:
IMG_20231113_220853_041.jpg

Did I mention i strongly dislike rust? At least If it's not usable for making paint or thermite...
Quarter panel chop incoming.

Rear crossmember was also way to crusty for a proper repair, so i'll have to make a new one. At least that gives the opportunity to increase the rear approach angle.

IMG_20231113_221022_509.jpg

Yikes, that rust is painful to look at.

Yikes, that rust is painful to look at.

Sadly that's how half of the cars that age will look in a northern climate with salted roads. I also believe the PO owned a boat and dipped the 80's ass into the sea frequently. The front half of the car is in pretty good shape, but all that was left of the aftermarket trailer hitch was rusty flakes covered by traces of powder coating.

I had to stay at home for the last few days with a nasty flu, so i kept thinking about my plans with the weasel to entertain myself a bit.
I want to keep the nightshadow pearl for now, i'll just touch up the repairs with zinc primer and some rattlecan paint. Plan ist to replace the rusted out rockers with some 120x40x3mm tubing as a base for future bodymounted sliders and add steel bumpers front n back.
Since i really like the colour contrast between the armor and the body on @Broski 's rig, I want to do something similiar. I'm just not sure which colour to choose to go with the dark blue, some kind of light gray maybe?

Last edited:
More effin' rust!

IMG_20231121_193347_158.jpg

While i'm at it, clearancing the rear wheel wells. I'll weld them up, cut out the inside of the broken flares and put them on again.

IMG_20231121_205954_080.jpg

New rocker panels, i'll build them tomorrow. Stil fighting with that stupid flu.

IMG_20231121_210035_058.jpg

that's really bad rust. Make sure to check the inner fender hangers.
The ones in the front? They're fine. Most of the rust stops miraculously in the middle of the truck. As I said, I think the PO owned a boat and sunk the back half of the car regularly.

The ones in the front? They're fine. Most of the rust stops miraculously in the middle of the truck. As I said, I think the PO owned a boat and sunk the back half of the car regularly.
Oh I see. Its just a very common spot and difficult to see which ultimately manifests to a rusty driver's firewall / floorboard.

Can you provide a link to exhaust manufacture? Thanks

Rocker panel replacement on the way. 35mm more clearence, 3x the thickness of the original. Not pretty, but...

IMG_20231123_211113_661.jpg

And I finally regained some structure to weld my new inner guards to. Cut out the rear arches 30mm while I'm at it. Still a lot of rust to get rid of.

IMG_20231123_211312_501.jpg

The build slowed down a bit due to family stuff and working abroad. But i finally built a new rear crossmember and a hitch mount.

1000057066.jpg

Welded some captive nuts to a piece of plate.

1000057071.jpg

Plugwelded them into the crossmember

1000057070.jpg

Not SEMA-ready, but i don't think it's going anywhere...

1000057072.jpg

I did cut a bit more than 4" off the back of the frame for more clearence in the rear.

Lots of small stuff on the weasel eating up time over the last weeks. Drilling out broken bolts, tearing down parts for sandblasting, ordering parts for axles and suspension...

I got a great deal on an ARB for my Hilux though. A vendor in Belgium had one available for nearly half the original price because of "shipping damage" (powder coating on the top bar has some deep scratches...). Yes!!!

IMG_20240128_205646_747.jpg

For the weasel, I want to go with some kind of Iow profile, lightweight bar. Ob the other Hand I also really like the look of the old school ARB bar on an 80...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom