To Build or Not to Build... a conundrum 80 Series Saga (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last Friday I took the day off to travel up North and meet my wife for a NYE party. She had gone up the night prior with our daughter, which left me and the doggo with idle hands and no supervision.
I took the opportunity to jingle the chain of nearly everyone selling a 60 or 80 series or some desirable parts. anywhere between my house and my destination. I really wanted to get in touch with a guy selling a silver 60 about half way between my home and destination, but as luck would have it, its gone from market place and nowhere to be found. Probably a blessing in disguise since I didn't have $7,000 and he probably wouldn't take what I was willing to offer.
I had previously been working my foot in the door with a couple of 80 series being sold locally and privately, literally less than a mile from each other. I spoke to both sellers and one was asking nearly $9,000 but knew it was too much and still hoping to get more than I was willing to pay for his rusty green 1996. The second seller was listing the burgundy? 1996 FZJ80 for $5,000 and was also negotiable. I set a time with the gentleman to come by at 10am the next morning, Friday 12/29. I went to the bank and took out what I was willing to spend on the truck if it turned out to be worth buying.
I showed up to inspect the 80 and the owners were super nice. The true owner was the gentleman's wife. They bought it in 1999 as second owners for $28,000. Everyone in the family drove it, it went to Allegheny College, in PA for four years and all over the east coast. The family truly loved this 80 but it has fallen on sad times. More recently it was put to yard and dump use. Still being used, but neglected between times. They had put nearly $3k in work in over the last 3 years. New exhaust, plugs, wires and misc maintenance until their long time mechanic failed it at inspection for tires and brakes. I started by making some connections with the people since I'm local and also have a kid. I got the people comfortable with me and my landcruiser knowledge, then went in for the negotiation. I started pretty low at $1,200 but didnt want to insult them. They countered and we ultimately settled at a price not much higher than my offer. I was happy.
Theres a good bit of rust underneath and the rockers have seen better days. A little section of the frame looks a little soft but maybe not rotted through. The brakes are super soft, the check engine light is one, the ABS light is on, its sluggish in acceleration on the highway(more than normal), it needs tires, the inside is filthy, the seats are beyond torn, it needs new seat gears, the mirrors shake, the steering wheel is the disgusting and peeling, the hood has big rust holes from the bug deflector, the bumper is orange, the rear hatch is hideous, the wipers are trashed, the antenna is missing, the rear bumper is rusted and damaged, the tailgate handle is missing, there's dents and tree sap all over the body, the rear sliding windows dont latch shut and the tracks are all swollen, the louvres leak, the knuckles are dry and need repacking, axles and everything underneath is surface rusted which means every fastener and clip is frozen in place, so good luck replacing all the bushing and stuff. The suspension functions but needs help, one rear spring isolators is just flopping around between the coils.

Good news is, that is starts, runs and stops. All the lights work, the heat works, there's really nothing missing except the third row seats. I

So naturally , I'm shopping for used tires and wheels, then I'll see if I can correct the brakes, toss on my dealer plate and run the piss out of it this winter.

In the Spring I'll decide if it needs to be parted out or sold as a whole.

1996 80 (2).jpg

1996 80 (3).JPG

1996 80 (1).JPG

Not sure what your asking, sounds like you already have a plan ?

Probably written after 4 stiff scotches. Generically intriguing. 🤣

Not sure what your asking, sounds like you already have a plan ?
My story telling ability has always been lackluster, but I assure you this was written without being on the sauce. I'm trying to add another thread for folks to read. Tuning into the 65th page of a 6 year old thread gets boring eventually. I've always like to read the stories of new vehicle acquisitions. I'm pretty sure we all like to read those threads.
My thread title is based off a highly personal internal debate. kind of like a rhetorical question. The answer is made up, but suggests that the group's input will be taken into consideration if group consensus tells me it certainly should go in one direction or another.

Needs more pics! Inside and under. From where it is from, We can all guess what it looks like???

Cut out the fenders, no lift on 36s, wheel, attempt to keep fluids behind the seals and know that you have a limited time to enjoy before it catastrophically fails. Or part it out, or sell it and break even or maybe profit a little. Those would be my suggestions. It's pretty far gone to try and build to a decent spec IMO.

Yep. Its really rusty. Plan is pretty much what @dirtyboots has said. I have tires ready to go on. Probably wont go as far as cutting the fenders, but run it until she fails completely then part it out.
I'm halfway through replacing the rear caliper and hard line to the LSPV. Once that's done, tires go on and drive it.

Just drive it. Keep fixen’ as necessary. Not all Land Cruisers face the fate of museum specimen. So long as the truck provides safe and effective service, let’s go in the morning.

Yep. Its really rusty. Plan is pretty much what @dirtyboots has said. I have tires ready to go on. Probably wont go as far as cutting the fenders, but run it until she fails completely then part it out.
I'm halfway through replacing the rear caliper and hard line to the LSPV. Once that's done, tires go on and drive it.
With the prices in my area, you could almost get your money back out of the axles. I'd give them a good service and wheel the piss out of it. When it dies, part it and sell the axles to someone SASing a 4Runner.

Quick update:
Winter beater project is seeing success. Its snowing and I've been driving this rust bucket around for the last week or so. This keeps my first gen sequoia from seeing some of the worst salt when the weather is bad.
Did I baseline it? not really. Oil change? no. Tune up? whats that? Add coolant? nope. Safety inspection? none. Registration? What you mean?
Dealer Plate and go.

So anyways. I fixed those brakes, got the lines holding in fluid, replaced a caliper and the pads, threw on some new tires and center caps and reupholstered the steering wheel.
Runs and drives pretty smooth given how neglected it had been. Got it good and stuck on a big snow pile this weekend. That was fun and dumb.
IMG_8718.jpeg
13C81C59-81B3-4B7D-A388-2A716E660981.jpeg
IMG_8621.jpeg

Did I baseline it? not really. Oil change? no. Tune up? whats that? Add coolant? nope. Safety inspection? none. Registration? What you mean?
Dealer Plate and go.
I do appreciate updates from the non-OCD contingent. Don't get me wrong, I love that some of the folks on here make their rigs look nicer than they did in the showroom, but I'm just not that guy.

I do appreciate updates from the non-OCD contingent. Don't get me wrong, I love that some of the folks on here make their rigs look nicer than they did in the showroom, but I'm just not that guy.
I go all OCD on mine just to go beat it up in the rocks:rofl:

Last edited:
This one is going to be used in the name of science. I flat out love seeing how much neglect and abuse these vehicle can take without complaining. just start it up everyday and Business as usual. The knuckles are drier than the desert and I'm sure whatever is lubricating the transfer case and diffs is not adequate if present at all. Despite that is runs and does everything required of it, this one would likely never pass any safety inspection ever again, its likely it will never get registered again. Once I'm done with it or it fails, it will be parted out.
I also checked the codes since the CEL is on
Getting a P0125 for Knock sensor
P0135 for closed loop cooling something... yes heat isnt good but always comes up to temp on dash?
Also getting all the usual O2 sensor codes.. they are deleted.

Please, for the love of all that is good, at least change the oil... :) Yer killin' me.

MrMacdugal, Looking at the photo of the aftermath of you changing those rear brake pads makes me realize how much i HATE RUST! That object laying on the ground that looks like a dirt clod, in another life use to be a brake caliper, I don't even want to try and imagine how much rust your going to have to deal with every time you go to remove something on your truck, I predict lots of broken bolts, and swear words in your future​

I sure hope you went OEM on those new center caps! :rofl:

Id just cut the fenders and rockers, adding clearance and removing rust at the same time, put bigger tires on it, change all the fluids and wheel it!

Your right @Rifleman , I hate rust too. But its just a part of life up here in new england. No rust means you have much money or a sweet garage. Surprisingly, most of these bolts are coming out pretty easily given how swollen the heads are. As usual, all the bolts holding on the bumpers broke during removal. To be expected.
Got the whole set of center caps for like $40 bucks. Couldnt beat that. Really sets it off!
I'm probly not gonna cut any fenders, no need. The tires are new, so not going bigger, but definitely drive and wheel it till she dies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom