‘95 FZJ80 for Younger Drivers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DustyFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi everyone,

I recently picked up a ‘95 FZJ80 that has been owned by a couple long time ‘mud members. I was looking for something for my teen daughters to drive. Mostly to work and school.

The truck has a few quirks for sure. But I am hoping we can make this work!

My vehicle search criteria:
  • Affordability
  • Must have airbags
  • 4wd a plus
  • Ability to tow a plus
  • Seating for 4 or 5
  • Drivable
IMG_3072.jpeg

IMG_0031.jpeg

IMG_3174.jpeg

IMG_3173.jpeg

Last edited:
A few issues known:
  • Steering shimmy fixed with new tires
  • Service engine light
  • No rear bumper
  • Heat blows cold climate control is backwards. Blue is heat. More investigation later
  • Rust holes in rear of truck patch panels installed(not show quality)
  • Driver/passenger seats don’t move forward or backward - gamiviti gears installed on driver side
  • After a few min of driving the O/D off light blinks

Last edited:
I should back up that my daughters had an unfortunate accident with their daily driver that left us in a bind to find something quick. Everyone was ok, but very scary! They had worked the last two summers on the family farm to buy their first car(with some help from dad).

Since we live “in the country” they don’t have the option of working a regular job to save up. There is no practice way to get around out here without a car.
IMG_0019.jpeg

Honda Civic for the win. Spend a little more on your daughter and get a certified used one.
Parts are cheap, maintenance is easy, and it'll run forever. Both my kids drive them.
My daughter drove my old 91 FJ80 in high school, but the gas mileage sucked and she couldn't afford it. I never had to worry about speeding tickets though.

My wife and i took the truck on a short shakedown ride. From Maryland to Vermont to ski. We got about two hours from home and blew a passenger rear tire at about 70 mph on the Jersey turnpike. We were able to get safely to the side of the road, but our ski plans were in jeopardy for sure.
We were able to get the tire changed and limp to mavis in mt laurel. They were able to get a set of Toyo open country AT3s 315 75 r16s the next day. Maybe not the brand/type I’d have chosen if I had the time. But that got us back on the road and we only lost a day. I noticed they put steel weights on the outside of an aluminum rim? Looks weird to me, especially with rims painted black. They offered to redo them it we had already been there all day and we’re hoping to get closer to VT before it got too late.

In other news, my wife skied her first blue trail! Good times.

IMG_0171.jpeg
IMG_3141.jpeg
IMG_3142.jpeg

Next issue, my older daughter is too short to reach the pedals. And I’m too tall to comfortably drive with the seat in its current position. At the advice of the PO I ordered the seat gears from gamiviti.

I did not raise the seat to maximum height before pulling it. I ended up having to carry the seat back to the car to plug it in and raise it up. Other than that, no issues. Driver seat moves like new.
IMG_0265.jpeg
IMG_0266.jpeg

Last edited:
Made a few quick and dirty patch plates for the holes in the rear floor. Just sheet metal, tap screws, and caulk. I’m hoping to get some carpet over them once the tire is out of the back. Should keep the exhaust out for now.

IMG_0088.jpeg

As I was scrolling down, I caught this picture with the bottom cut off so I couldn't see hands on thighs... all I could think is, "Why did he include this picture of someone about to get whacked?"

Anyway... I'm not sure I'd pick a lifted rig for a younger driver, but you could do worse. Better for a daughter than a son, at least it's less likely to roll over whipping cookies in someone's field! My perspective might be polluted by the fact that I was a total savage at that age.

My wife and i took the truck on a short shakedown ride. From Maryland to Vermont to ski. We got about two hours from home and blew a passenger rear tire at about 70 mph on the Jersey turnpike. We were able to get safely to the side of the road, but our ski plans were in jeopardy for sure.
We were able to get the tire changed and limp to mavis in mt laurel. They were able to get a set of Toyo open country AT3s 315 75 r16s the next day. Maybe not the brand/type I’d have chosen if I had the time. But that got us back on the road and we only lost a day. I noticed they put steel weights on the outside of an aluminum rim? Looks weird to me, especially with rims painted black. They offered to redo them it we had already been there all day and we’re hoping to get closer to VT before it got too late.

In other news, my wife skied her first blue trail! Good times.

View attachment 3528986View attachment 3528987View attachment 3528988
Those Toyo AT3 tires will serve you well. I run them on my F350.

Anyway... I'm not sure I'd pick a lifted rig for a younger driver, but you could do worse. Better for a daughter than a son, at least it's less likely to roll over whipping cookies in someone's field! My perspective might be polluted by the fact that I was a total savage at that age.
All things being equal I might agree. I was able to horse trade for a lifted 83 60 about 8 years ago when my older son turned 16. They survived and made some good memories. Based on the latest car accident, I was afraid to choose anything without airbags and abs.

IMG_0238.jpeg
IMG_0111.jpeg

Last edited:
not sure I'd pick a lifted rig for a younger driver

As mentioned, you could do worse but the lift is an issue for stated use in my opinion. Lowered back to stock height and tire size with tight steering (no slop/wandering) and it's not ideal but likely fine. Lifted, taller tires with some slop/wandering and it could be easy for a driver to over correct and get into trouble. Watch for wrecked 80s and they almost all have some lift and often extra weight up top.

For a little background, my siblings and I all drove worse as kids and did just fine. My brother rolled a few cars and my sister crashed a few with no permanent damage. Old VW beetles without seatbelts, lifted early 4wds, poor brakes (I drove with only an emergency brake only for a while in one car)... All that said I won't be putting my kids in anything lifted or too worn out as it just doesn't seem worth it...

The PO put a pretty good system in the truck with a sub in the back. I was able to properly introduce the beastie boys to the girls lol. They drove it to school the last couple days with no issue. Much better visibility on the road vs the mini cooper. Not perfect but they seem to be making out ok.

Is homebrew the only option for an affordable rear swing out bumper?

IMG_3161.jpeg

Last edited:
All things being equal I might agree. I was able to horse trade for a lifted 83 60 about 8 years ago when my older son turned 16. They survived and made some good memories. Based on the latest car accident, I was afraid to choose anything without airbags and abs.

View attachment 3529053

Your kids might be more responsible than my friends and I were, though that's not the highest bar. As @jpoole said, I learned to drive in worse! I would have killed for a Landcruiser when I got my license and I probably would have been driving around listening to the Beastie Boys.

They were able to get a set of Toyo open country AT3s 315 75 r16s the next day.
I've been running the AT3s in that size for about a year now on my LX450. I liked the Goodyear Duratrac s better, but they no longer make that size. They're an OK tire for an AT.

I've been running the AT3s in that size for about a year now on my LX450. I liked the Goodyear Duratrac s better, but they no longer make that size. They're an OK tire for an AT.
Glad to hear the endorsement. I was able to get all four installed with an oil change at $1,415 out the door. That’s a good bit cheaper than the bfgoodwrench ATs I was looking at.

The PO put a pretty good system in the truck with a sub in the back. I was able to properly introduce the beasty boys to the girls lol. They drove it to school the last couple days with no issue. Much better visibility on the road vs the mini cooper. Not perfect but they seem to be making out ok.

View attachment 3529070

Define affordable. 4x4 Labs has a DIY bumper for about a grand. Double that if you want swing outs and a tire carrier. That's about as cheap as you're going to find.

This pic from ~2010 sitting four wide in the back of my old fj62 seems to capture everyone’s personality. I later added a third row so everyone could be bucked up individually.
006.jpeg
100_1484.jpeg

What's wrong with letting them drive the 40?
1704842956300.png

After looking at that wadded up piece of bubble gum (what was that anyway?), I wouldn't let my kids near it either!
LOL

I trust she was O.K.

Last edited:

You should just say that you want this 80 for yourself and you're going to let them drive it for now. Kidding aside, as the father of 4 now adult children, I think an 80 is great and two of mine drove ours for a while. However, as others have suggested, I would change the tires and pull the lift. ....and I don't think the girls need a swing out bumper to get to work and/or school. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom