ONSC Chat (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

about everyone make a external gas or electric pack. if you plan on being there for a while i would avoid goodman. they are a builder grade product. the quality just isn't the same. I am not in the A/C business and not current on everything outthere but, there are better options. if your on a budget of maybe trying to get someting in a hurry you generally don't have a issue getting a goodman. i mean it's an A/C unit much like a yugo is a car. alright maybe a little better then a yugo. ping roxx i'm probbablly not to far off mark here.

Unfortunately I am on a budget and am trying to keep my price less than 9 grand for everything.

If you don't need any internal duct work and are just replacing the outside package I don't see why you can't get a trane under 9k. Their really isn't much labor to replace the outside package.

All you need to do is remove the duct transition from the existing unit, disconnect thee electrical, gas supply line and move the old one out of the way. You might have a little bit of sheet metal work for the new unit ( nothing is ever the same size). Then just reattach gas/electric. The hard part is purchasing the unit.

Last edited:
Raf recommended Trane to me and that’s what I went with.

Do shop around.
Do get a few quotes.
You would be surprised how much the quotes will vary.

I was quoted for the “cheapest” unit on the market for one of my rentals a few years ago.
After speaking with Raf. I got two quotes from a trane installer.

I ended up getting a trane for way less than the “cheaper” option.

Anything other than goodman everyone is around 12 grand. That's too much for me . I have not had anyone out here yet because. We'll I do not know. Have talked with 6 folks and waiting on all 6.

I just need it done before it gets to a cold snap. And I figure that's coming within a few weeks.

Sometimes they run financing "deals" with zero percent APR. Just run the numbers to make sure that makes sense for you (if it's even an option, I don't know). Your money isn't going to be worth more than it is right now. Which is less than it was when you started reading this.

I know Goodman got a bad wrap in around 2008ish and I still don't like them. With that said, supposedly their quality has improved since then from what I have heard from SOME HVAC guys. With that said, I couldn't get over my prior bad experiences with them (around 2009) and went with Trane. Trane is also not what it used to be as it got bought by Ingersoll Rand around 2008 (I didn't know this until I was getting quotes). I have newer Tranes now, and while they're nice, they have NOT been trouble free despite annual tune ups/inspections/watever they're called. I would imagine I would have maybe a couple more problems with similar SEER Goodman's? I will say I would definitely pay attention to WHO installs your new units. That could have a LOT to do with it. If you're dead set with Goodman and you want to, DM me with your city and I can see if a guy I trust can make it to you (if he's available) for a quote for a Goodman.

Last edited:
FWIW I had a 2 ton Goodman package installed for our downstairs unit in early 2020 and it’s been great. Admittedly I didn’t do a ton of research on brands. I think it’s a 16 or 18 seer.

From what I understand, a lot of components nowadays are made by the same companies except for a few brands (like most stuff nowadays) and Goodman has had a big improvement in quality. I also got the unit installed for $5,500. You’d be amazed how much some companies will negotiate.. the package I got was advertised at $10k.

Last edited:
Same.

Started at around $12k ended up at around $5.5k when it was all said and done.

12k is to much try/find another company.

what size is your current unit. is it LP or NG or all electric

We have a propane gas pack / combined unit. Everything being outside in one spot minus intake and thermostat. We have had quotes from 7300 to 15000.

with 1600 sq feet recommended is about 64k btu on the heat. goodman makes a 60k (13 seer) and an 80k (15 seer) model depending on what your btu is on the current unit and how warm/cold you house is you could go either way on the size.

you could pretty much purchase one of those and self install at least this give you a kind of price for the goodman use the info for getting the price down.
i don't think trane is going to allow anyone to publish pricing for "open market" sales. i would reach out to roxx and get his opinion.

Last edited:
well, that was an unsettling Saturday morning.
found a stuffed singing bear behind a chair in the house, very unsure of how it got there, and no friends / family have claimed it yet.
We have had very few visitors over, and no one has said they recognize it o_O

Is this still around ???? 2011 time frame for this.

20240106_133421.jpg

Been a long time since I had it. Went out of the country with me.

Anything other than goodman everyone is around 12 grand. That's too much for me . I have not had anyone out here yet because. We'll I do not know. Have talked with 6 folks and waiting on all 6.

I just need it done before it gets to a cold snap. And I figure that's coming within a few weeks.
I know a guy that does AC work on the side. Not sure he would go all the way down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom