LC100/LX470 Part-Time Conversion Discussion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wh

Wow, that transfer case costs more than I paid for my 1998 LX470...

It costs more than I've paid for dozens of Land Cruiser... regardless there is a market for them :D

It costs more than I've paid for dozens of Land Cruiser... regardless there is a market for them :D
Not saying it is t worth it. Of course there is a market for the ready made solution. In fact I’m glad for you there is a market for them.

I Bet shipping one of those way out here to the middle of the pacific is not cheap either.

I have 2 extra used HF2A T-cases, and I’m more hands on, so I guess rebuilding one on the bench with the gears I want to swap in makes more sense to me.

There’s the savings from shipping in small gears and bearings & seals instead of a whole case, plus the satisfaction of doing it yourself...

Last edited:
I spent more than 5K to have a shop rebuild my T Case with 3.12 low range and also the high range reduction gears. Just the gears alone were 2K then I spent another 2K just in the rest of the T case parts to do a complete rebuild. THEN labor to do it all ... another 2K. If Kurt would have offered this just a month or two sooner I would have done it this way and saved a little money. I have spent more than three times what I originally paid for this truck, ON the truck in modifications. That number would be a lot lower if more vendors offered these types of drop-in units. Currently, I am building a 2UZ with some connecting rods out of a 1994 SC400 1UZ and converting it to 4-bolt ARP main caps, ACL bearings, forged pistons, and custom valves and springs. I have seen some of these 2UZ-FE's push 8000 RPMs and 600 horses naturally aspirated. I am looking to supercharge at a wimpy 11 lbs of boost to get 400 at the wheels. If there was a "drop-in" 2UZ for 30K that could do this I would jump on it TODAY. But there isn't so again I will be relying on my onlyfans to come up with enough money to do the swap. Meanwhile, my truck has just turned 100K miles and I could sell this motor for a bit I would guess 3,500. The point is ... there is a market for these drop-ins... especially internationally.

It’s new. Your LX is old. Duh.

True, she is not new, but she runs like a champ, and is the most comfortable vehicle for Offroad missions. Much more comfortable than my stock 80 series I got this year. Love the 80 too though. It just needs a lot more suspension upgrades.

I have been wondering If there is much to gain by gearing down the diffs even lower than needed for the tires, by like about 15% and then using the 10% overdrive high range t-case gears. That way when the t-case is in low range, combined with say 4.88 or lower diffs, the gearing would be even lower.

Then Highway gearing would be minimally affected, and low would be even lower. Just a thought since we are talking about $5000 and up sort of gearing changes.

Last edited:
I spent more than 5K to have a shop rebuild my T Case with 3.12 low range and also the high range reduction gears. Just the gears alone were 2K then I spent another 2K just in the rest of the T case parts to do a complete rebuild. THEN labor to do it all ... another 2K. If Kurt would have offered this just a month or two sooner I would have done it this way and saved a little money. I have spent more than three times what I originally paid for this truck, ON the truck in modifications. That number would be a lot lower if more vendors offered these types of drop-in units. Currently, I am building a 2UZ with some connecting rods out of a 1994 SC400 1UZ and converting it to 4-bolt ARP main caps, ACL bearings, forged pistons, and custom valves and springs. I have seen some of these 2UZ-FE's push 8000 RPMs and 600 horses naturally aspirated. I am looking to supercharge at a wimpy 11 lbs of boost to get 400 at the wheels. If there was a "drop-in" 2UZ for 30K that could do this I would jump on it TODAY. But there isn't so again I will be relying on my onlyfans to come up with enough money to do the swap. Meanwhile, my truck has just turned 100K miles and I could sell this motor for a bit I would guess 3,500. The point is ... there is a market for these drop-ins... especially internationally.
Looks like you really love your rig to drop that much into it. Bet it is awesome, and will be even more incredible with the built 2UZ.

Looks like you really love your rig to drop that much into it. Bet it is awesome, and will be even more incredible with the built 2UZ.
To be honest, I didn’t really know what I was getting into. I just wanted to put lockers in it originally. I’ve had a couple of sets, AR beers and some old Broncos and Jeeps. In my mind, I was thinking it was only gonna be four or five grand to put lockers in the truck, and it was far more than that. I guess I just didn’t really understand how expensive things were. Then, with all the gears and everything, I was sort of too far in at that point and realized I’ll never get a return on what I’ve invested. My wife pretty much told me now I have to keep the truck instead of buying a new vehicle. I have a Toyota Prius as a daily driver ironically, it’s getting up there in miles but hopefully it’ll last me a few more years. And as far as the cruiser goes, by the end of the year, every component of that drive train will be new. The rest of the truck is in pretty good shape as well, so I’m hoping to eventually hand it down to my son.

Part time 4WD kit and 3.1:1 kit paid dividends this weekend!

Noticed a clicking at the beginning Golden Spike that progressively got worse and lost 4WD. We ended up running basically all of GS and GBR in 2WD and a few winch pulls and a tug. Didn't have to pull a tool out just unlocked the hubs, CDL and was on our way. Total time on the trail was under 10 hours. No pictures unfortunately.. this is by far the best thing on my hundred.

incidentally now I need a 4.30 front diff if anyone has one sitting around...

Part time 4WD kit and 3.1:1 kit paid dividends this weekend!

Noticed a clicking at the beginning Golden Spike that progressively got worse and lost 4WD. We ended up running basically all of GS and GBR in 2WD and a few winch pulls and a tug. Didn't have to pull a tool out just unlocked the hubs, CDL and was on our way. Total time on the trail was under 10 hours. No pictures unfortunately.. this is by far the best thing on my hundred.

incidentally now I need a 4.30 front diff if anyone has one sitting around...

Hell yes! Worth the headache alone of pulling CVs, Hub Gears, and/or driveshaft on the trail.

Hell yes! Worth the headache alone of pulling CVs, Hub Gears, and/or driveshaft on the trail.
SOOOO worth it. and driving home with out worry a few hundred miles, continuing about my life in 2WD until I can source the parts and time to dig into it.

Out of curiousity, was that a 4.30 early 2 pinion diff that went out on you? I have been planning to put in a front locker just to have a stronger carrier and prevent the dreaded 2 pinion diff grenading one day out on the trail. .

How can I like this post more than once, truth is spoken here. Turn-key “drop in” engine swaps would be cherry. I would line up immediately to receive an LS swap, LS7 massaged by Brian Tooley is my dream swap.

Out of curiousity, was that a 4.30 early 2 pinion diff that went out on you? I have been planning to put in a front locker just to have a stronger carrier and prevent the dreaded 2 pinion diff grenading one day out on the trail. .
i have a 2000, which is the crossover year, there is a chance it is 2 pinion but i think it is 4.

i have a 2000, which is the crossover year, there is a chance it is 2 pinion but i think it is 4.

I think it's going to be a 4. I'm most curious to find out if your carrier (spider/side gears) failed or if the ring gear has some missin' teeth :D

My 2 pinion fragged the ring gear and one of the spider gears a few years back. Good times. Wish I would have upgraded rather than putting the 2pinion back in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom