The Bacon & Blue Cheese Express ( AKA The Camping Truck) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

An 80 pump will not work. They mount in the FZ block. A 60 series pump will work provided your block has the mounting holes for the bracket. If you're running 33 inch tires, that's about the limit I'd run with a 60 pump. A good upgrade would be a Saginaw pump. They are cheap, readily available and provide more pressure than a stock pump. There are a few aftermarket mounting options for a Saginaw.

Pictures of your setup would help.

So after spending two weeks in isolation as COVID went through the house, the front seal on the power steering pump started leaking on its first trip outfor pizza. Thankfully we were close to home when it was discovered.
I replaced the front seal, and no joy. Previous owner had machined up some brass bushes but they may not be a snug enough fit.

So, what are the options for a 55 power steering pump? Will a fj60 or fj80 pump work? Do I look into an electric pump? I've read about replacement bushes, but the threads are 5 years old and people seemed to replace pumps.

I'm getting fed up with $10 parts taking a dump and sidelining the car.
Oh darn, That is a bummer. And it seems to be a reality of playing with 40+ year old Cruisers.

Are you running just the regular 2F PS pump? Those bushings do wear out, and I have been in those threads about making up replacement bushings b/c you are talking about a $10 bushing vs. a $200 PS pump (USD).

So after spending two weeks in isolation as COVID went through the house, the front seal on the power steering pump started leaking on its first trip outfor pizza. Thankfully we were close to home when it was discovered.
I replaced the front seal, and no joy. Previous owner had machined up some brass bushes but they may not be a snug enough fit.

So, what are the options for a 55 power steering pump? Will a fj60 or fj80 pump work? Do I look into an electric pump? I've read about replacement bushes, but the threads are 5 years old and people seemed to replace pumps.

I'm getting fed up with $10 parts taking a dump and sidelining the car.
I just skimmed the thread for pics under da hood, b/c I could not remember if you are running 2F or not. No love...
Anyway, yes, you can run replacement bushings, LMK if you need help find the ones that I found, or I know you can get 60 series PS pumps - City Racer has some.
Last thought, your trials and tribulations remind me of a t-shirt I saw (maybe will make you smile): "I like my women like I like my Cruisers - 40 years old and leaking fluids!"
Just some wisdom for the day...

This is what I’m working with. At this point I’m inclined to go a new pump.

22E8D42D-08AE-41BF-8313-D431C5F54529.jpeg

B8DED25E-64F8-421F-8AE7-BD43B1300AEC.jpeg

I haven't had a chance to price one up locally, and still trying to determine exactly what will work/what to order.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these:

Can anyone point me in the direction of the viscous fan and water pump part numbers? I thought I'd saved them or the build I saw them but can't find it. My son was asking me to "turn the engine down, its too loud".

Sorted out the power steering pump and Pig has been put back into service doing Pig things.

Thought I'd share something.

One of my earliest childhood memories was following our dog down a dirt track in a 55 that belonged to my Dads boss. We were heading to a forest park on the outskirts of Brisbane, not far from home. That experience introduced me to the "old Toyota smell" , something I've never forgotten. Its a mix of burnt oil, old grease, bulldust and petrol, and is even more potent on a stinking hot day. Today, I relived that memory with my son who is a little older than I was when I made the memory in 1982. The park is the site of a few unsuccessful gold mines and has been cleaned up and made easier to access, but its always a fun place to visit. Next time I'll go after some heavier rain to make the water crossing more fun, only a puddle today.

IMG_5973.JPG
IMG_5976.JPG

Yeah I was getting my back x rayed ( completely un related to leaf spring cruisers!)
Rough to Tough actually did the work in February, but I dropped in to see them last week and it must have jogged their memory!

I spotted this the other week in the car park at Woolies, such a nice looking 55. I saw a post on Rough to Tough Cruisers Insta that you had your new springs installed.
WarrenView attachment 3091877
Are these rear leaves parabolic or just unclamped? Looks neat!

Sorted out the power steering pump and Pig has been put back into service doing Pig things.

Thought I'd share something.

One of my earliest childhood memories was following our dog down a dirt track in a 55 that belonged to my Dads boss. We were heading to a forest park on the outskirts of Brisbane, not far from home. That experience introduced me to the "old Toyota smell" , something I've never forgotten. Its a mix of burnt oil, old grease, bulldust and petrol, and is even more potent on a stinking hot day. Today, I relived that memory with my son who is a little older than I was when I made the memory in 1982. The park is the site of a few unsuccessful gold mines and has been cleaned up and made easier to access, but its always a fun place to visit. Next time I'll go after some heavier rain to make the water crossing more fun, only a puddle today.

View attachment 3090018View attachment 3090020
Great memories! Wonder what your little guy will remember when he gets to be our age?

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

Took Junior for an impromptu overnight stay at D'Agular National Park which is about an hour from home. The drive consisted of about an hour of bitumen that winded up the hills and then what was supposed to be a half hour of rocky trails. But I took the wrong road and it turned into an hour.

Was a good oppurtunity to extend the range in the pig and finally put it in to 4wd. Nothing too taxing, rocky roads, few little steps and bumps. Only used low 4 once going uphill for something different and see what the engine temps did.

I may have gone over a bump too fast at one point on the return ( only half hour but steeper grade) and snapped two exhaust mounts. No biggy, gives me the reason to reroute it now the spare isn't under the back.

The 55 was given the seal of approval by the convoy of Park Rangers I passed who were doing fire load assessments.

Had to stop a VW golf Gti before he went over that concrete culvert, don't know where he thought he was going, and I did wonder if it was his car.

Panicked lady at the front door.

"Hello, your Jeep is rolling down the hill!"

Turns out that the 55 (that was in reverse with the park brake on) had crept forward and into the back of her Hyundai during the night and when she moved her car, the 55 decided to go exploring.

Luckily there was no damage to either car and she wasn't upset. I think I'll offer to wash her car ( she wants to sell it) as a way of apology though.

Wowsers I’ve been out of it for a while, sorry I haven’t kept up with the build! Rig is looking good though, love the wheels and tyres.

Sorry my pump rebuild didn’t work, I think it was a cheap Chinese seal kit. If you still have the pump I’d be happy to tear it back down and have another look at it. I have a full machine shop now with much better tooling and materials. I can even get proper bearing materials like sintered bronze etc.

Throw back to when I first found this piggy.
5444DD8B-C459-4E35-902C-C91C639D93CC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom