The Bacon & Blue Cheese Express ( AKA The Camping Truck) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, that's pretty strange to forget the valve stem holes.

Question... Is the white color the same on both body and wheels? I like that a lot and have been thinking about doing mine.

No valve stem holes? That’s kind of important. I’d be sure to let them know. Maybe they’ll comp you a set of hubcaps.
I called them straight away and they've asked for photo's. Not expecting more than an apology, I already have the caps.
Yeah, that's pretty strange to forget the valve stem holes.

Question... Is the white color the same on both body and wheels? I like that a lot and have been thinking about doing mine.
I asked the paint guys to do them in Cygnus white T012. I wanted to do something a little different, and have a bit of fun with the way it looks.

This weekend marked a year since my brother and I dragged the pig home. When I look at this pic it makes me realise how far its come. Granted I started with pretty good framework, but theres been a few head scratching moments.

IMG_4064.JPG

I'm waiting on a few parts to roll in from overseas, the front seat back from my parents, but its getting close to being back on the road. Still a few things I want to do with it like stereo, electronic ignition and springs, but there's some supply issues with a few of those things right now.
IMG_E5347.JPG

The 45 has gone to its new home so that's freed up some space. I'll miss it, but can't keep them all, and it wasn't conducive to family adventures. Maybe the 55 is a sign of getting old.
DZTO3972.JPG

Been slowly chipping away at the Express.

Front seat is in, exhaust has been made, cargo windows are in, tailgate now has new window runners and window seal.
IMG_5475.JPG

Also dropped what looks like the original spare tyre. I think its been a nest for something at some stage but long gone now.

IMG_5468.JPG
IMG_5470.JPG

Unfortunately the new wheel and tyre combo will rub the shackle bolt, even when they get moved with the new springs so I'm going to fab up a mount for in the cargo area.

Next on the list is to re finish the front right guard and try to get it registered. Spring supplier says early to mid November for the the springs to arrive, so the lift may not go on this year.

Time for a bit of an update.

Springs should be shipping out the week of the 17th of Jan. Car is booked in to have them fitted, rear perch moved and ready for its Road worthy certificate.

Found a tyre carrier on Marketplace, bit of cutting, bit of welding its in. It cost me $50 and I couldn't have got the materials for that. Its bolted through the floor with a couple of rubber feet, but I may swap them for slightly lower ones. The eyelet is for the dog lead.

IMG_5558.JPG
251106899_4402020969834439_5672416220044924567_n.jpg

I also mounted some 6x9 speakers in the rear, openning up the previous holes and mounting some frames with Marshall amp fabric to them, they need a clean.
Speakers are mounted to the body. Head unit is a mechless bluetooth one, so not as deep, and I used an DIN cubby in the original radio spot. Stereo has a remote. There's a pair of 3.5 speakers to go in under the dash as well.

While I was fooling around in the dash I discovered that the blower fan had a seized bearing, which meant it didn't work on the low setting. I happened to have the rear aircon unit from a Prado with a very familiar fan. I opened the mount holes on the fan by two millimetres and it bolted straight it. Wiring plugged straight it in , and it works really well. Love an easy solution!

IMG_5561.JPG
IMG_5559.JPG

Threw the hubcaps on and have had a rattle can of the brown mixed up to give the guard and a couple of areas a touch up

IMG_5552.JPG

IMG_5556.JPG

Ticking a few things off the list. I had a spray can of the olive mixed up by the local parts place. It was not as nice as the name suggested according to the young guy mixing it. It should be ok with some clear on it, or not.
IMG_5652.JPG

Also finished up the speaker install. Theres signs of speakers having been fitted here previously, so I found some 4 inch housings ( from Eastern Europe of all places) and mounted the speakers inside. I covered the plastic face plate with some more Marshall amp fabric to match the rear ones.

IMG_5653.JPG

In other news, the springs are stuck on a train, somewhere between Perth and Adelaide after the railway was damaged by a 1 in a 100/200 year storm. So who knows when they'll turn up. As frustrated as I am, I have to remember that the rail line is used to carry essential goods as well, and theres people worse off than me.

So the revised plan is to get the carb rebuilt ( it was pumping fuel straight down the throat of the car), get it on the road and sort out suspension asap.

Monday: Pig went to Carby shop
Wednesday : it started to rain.
Friday : No word from the Carby shop, not answering phone.
Saturday : Found pig parked on road, not sure if its been under water or not. No answer from shop and they have the only set of keys.....
IMG_5685.JPG

Sunday: Carby shop moved pig to hight ground.
Monday : Morning
IMG_5696.JPG

IMG_5699.JPG

Afternoon: I went and checked on the car and it looks like the water went over the back tyre on Sunday Night.

We had 741mm ( just on 29 inches) of rain from 9 am Thursday to 9am Monday , which is 73% of our annual rainfall. I've spent the last two days cleaning stinky, thick silty mud out of a riverside house, and I didn't see any of the same in the Pig on Monday so I think its good!

Moral of the story: Always have a second set of keys. :bang:

And the springs finally showed up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom