Dealer Disappointment (mini-rant on maintenance) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That went the way of gas station attendants checking your oil, washing your windows and asking if you wanted them to pump ethyl or regular. :hillbilly:
Just because they don’t wanna or because they don’t feel like it or what? Is it not “preventative” anymore on batteries that can be checked? My truck has only been serviced at dealer, yet when I checked mine the other day, it was 2 cups low. Seems like an easy check that could possibly ward off much bigger issues.

Not sure on that one. My OEM was a Pansonic battery with unscrew caps to check the fluid. And the replacement one I just put in has pop off caps. Maybe you're not suppose to check the fluid but just throw them away whenever and get a new one?? Not sure how its done nowadays. I still check them. But the dealers and shops that sell batteries just says buy a new one when it starts to fade. But my thinking is that if one checks the water and its low, and not unusually old and working still ok, why not put the fluid back to where the side marker indicator reads? Mine had something like "Low" and "Full" on the side for the fluid level.

I'm thinking they put those markings there for a reason.

Not sure on that one. My OEM was a Pansonic battery with unscrew caps to check the fluid. And the replacement one I just put in has pop off caps. Maybe you're not suppose to check the fluid but just throw them away whenever and get a new one?? Not sure how its done nowadays. I still check them. But the dealers and shops that sell batteries just says buy a new one when it starts to fade. But my thinking is that if one checks the water and its low, and not unusually old and working still ok, why not put the fluid back to where the side marker indicator reads? Mine had something like "Low" and "Full" on the side for the fluid level.

I'm going to have to look at mine as I still have the OEM panasonic there. I didn't think the little caps were removeable and the battery was sealed!

There are snug for sure. But unscrew. Mine was marked on the front of the battery I think with like, Low or Full or similar. I took this for the battery shop but not the side where the marking were.

IMG_2104.JPG

I’m going to have to add that to maintenance checks right after I check the driver floormat!

What did you use to unscrew? Brute hand strength? Or a special tool?

No special tools. But, because of the grooved ridges, I used a rag to save on the skin. They were right but not terrible. I did use channel lock to tighten though.

Probably beating a dead horse or climbing on some level of horse but I can't help myself. DO NOT trust dealers to do anything, most cannot even perform a basic oil change without issues. Service departments no longer exist to KEEP your vehicle running but exist to make you hesitant about it's fitness for purpose and to URGE you to sell/trade for a new vehicle. They are simply an arm of the sales department at face value and are required to make $$ for the dealership. RANT

Probably beating a dead horse or climbing on some level of horse but I can't help myself. DO NOT trust dealers to do anything, most cannot even perform a basic oil change without issues. Service departments no longer exist to KEEP your vehicle running but exist to make you hesitant about it's fitness for purpose and to URGE you to sell/trade for a new vehicle. They are simply an arm of the sales department at face value and are required to make $$ for the dealership. RANT
Not my experience at all with my local dealer. Great experience over the last few decades and across vehicle brands. Your mileage may vary.

Not my experience at all with my local dealer. Great experience over the last few decades and across vehicle brands. Your mileage may vary.
Man, I wish I lived where you do. Camelback??

You can buy a hygrometer from Amazon for about $10 which will tell you the specific gravity so you’ll know if the cells are still good or not. Adding distilled water is fine if they are low but if a cell is low acid it won’t help

I worked at auto part stores for about 4-5 years over the last decade and we were always told that the batteries we sold were maintenance free and not to be opened.

My Genuine Toyota battery (but not original Panasonic) is about 20 months and 20k miles old, I only thought to check fluid level the other day with an oil change. Each of the 6 cells was about 60mL low.. which converts to about 12oz of distilled water total. No lead was exposed..

Definitely worth checking periodically. I'll add it to each oil change along with the PS fluid remove/fill. need to get one of those SG testers.

I worked at auto part stores for about 4-5 years over the last decade and we were always told that the batteries we sold were maintenance free and not to be opened.

...which sells more batteries.

Plus they can probably hide behind the "safety" (aka liability protection) of not advocating customers deal with dangerous chemicals.

I wonder how many batteries are thrown away as faulty when all they need is topped up water and maybe some acid..

I also wonder what the corporate lawyers think about motorcycle batteries that still come with a tank of acid that you must add to the battery before charging.. the stuff of nightmares for them?

I live in Flagstaff, but drive down to Earnhardt Lexus in Phoenix and work with Rick Johnson (Service advisor) Jared Marshall ( former master mechanic at Camelback Toyota). Jared has installed all my ARB accessories: Baserack, skid plates, duel compressor with exterior fill ports and baserack light bar.
Quality factory type installation with excellent wire management.
Rick and Jared are both Toyota enthusiasts, so they both appreciate high quality vehicles and do the jobs to everyone's satisfaction.
PM me if you want Rick's contact info

Last edited:
Yeah unfortunately that is a lot like the maintenance free CVTs, transmissions, etc. In this case, it sells more batteries.

Assuming the answer is no, but has anyone heard if Lexus will honor Toyota Care oil changes and whatnot?

Dunno about the batteries, I haven't added water to any of mine in years and years. The way I figure it most of my batteries last 5+ years, which is when I should be replacing them anyways

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom