Fj62 suspension issue. Stiff. Bouncy ride. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thats exactly what’s going on. The PO just installed longer shackles to the original springs to raise up the body.
On a brand new 60 or 62, rolling off the factory floor in Japan back in the 80’s, the front shackles angled forward at least 45° and the rears maybe 35° on fresh springs.

Those look like they might be stock springs but have a lot of arch if so. Either way the packs aren’t super think so should be pretty good.

However those shackles are too long for those springs in my opinion, for fastest/cheapest/easiest I would call Cruiser Outfitters @cruiseroutfit and get a set of either the greaseable stock-replacement or the shortest ARB anti inversion shackles.
Also might be time for a full set of bushings and springs as well (definitely get greaseable for those).

If that is still not up to your standards swap the springs/shocks out for Dobinsons or maybe reevaluate your vehicle choice

I agree, get some greasable shackles and updated bushings on there along with some updated/better shocks and the ride would undoubtely improve.

Something like this would do the trick:

Or we have anti-inversion sets too:

I've never seen stock rear springs that had arch like that. They're all flat at this point.
Was thinking the exact same thing. That rig has a helluva nice (lifted) stance for being stock springs, even with longer shackles....re arched maybe??
His rear springs do still have the oem rubber pads and c-channels on them.

@robd1 I'd say its time to ditch the old and spring :D for a new fresh suspension set up like OME or Dobinson.

I've never seen stock rear springs that had arch like that. They're all flat at this point.

I agree, I think those are worn out lift springs.

Was thinking the exact same thing. That rig has a helluva nice (lifted) stance for being stock springs, even with longer shackles....re arched maybe??
His rear springs do still have the oem rubber pads and c-channels on them.

@robd1 I'd say its time to ditch the old and spring :D for a new fresh suspension set up like OME or Dobinson.
What set up do you recommend. We live in LA and in all honesty. My wife uses this truck around town to pick up the boy from elementary school. I'll ride it around to run errands sometimes. I just want it to ride comfortable and hopefully go on a longer trip up to the mountains. I want to keep the hight since it looks great with 33's.

Stick with one of the well known suspension systems already named, Old Man Emu (OME) or Dobinsons, both Australian in origin and sitting under countless Land Cruisers anywhere in the world. For your uses described, highly recommend a light duty version of these systems and a well paired shock, OME shocks seem to not have the best reviews.
Call Cruiser Outfitters.

You have an old vehicle with leaf springs on all four corners and solid axles, it will never ride like a cushy modern vehicle. You can get it pretty nice though relative to its design...then enjoy its quirks and rugged purpose built design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom