Diff and transfer case fluids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, due for this maintenance, what’s the general consensus on which fluid/brand is optimal for the Lx570. I know there’s a Toyota transfer case fluid that’s pricey, should I pony up for that or is there alternatives. Also front and rear diffs? Thanks as always, bonus points if you know the quantity for this service.

Last edited:
There has been much discussion on whether you should substitute less expensive "non Toyota" oils for the differentials and transfer case. I went with the after market Valvoline gear oil for the differentials as it's only slightly different viscosity and of a formulation that's supposedly OK to use with differentials. But viscosity isn't the only issue with oils. From what I have read here the transfer case oil is a different animal in this regard. As I understand it there are alloys in the transfer case that might be harmed over the long term with after market "non Toyota" oils. There are also supposedly non Toyota differential oils that are more expensive than the big names and are supposedly OK. But I personally have no idea and the price of the oil vs. the potential of a damaged transfer case frankly isn't even on my radar screen

So, even if there's a scintilla of truth to the Toyota branded oil being better/best I decided to go with the following for my transfer case:

Oil: Toyota Transfer Gear Oil LF 75W 08885-81080 (2 liters)
Fill plug: rear diff drain 24mm bolt long with magnet 90341-18040
Drain plug: Lexus transfer case drain plug with magnet 90341-18057
Washers: 90430-A0003 (2 flat aluminum washers)

I will be doing the transfer case for the first time using the Toyota magic 75W as Amsoil doesn't have an equivalent. IIRC Ravenol and Redline both carry a 75W equivalent that others have either used or recommended.

I’d stick with 75w in the case as it very anecdotally seems to reduce the frequency of the flashing CDL issue. As discussed there are multiple suppliers, and the OE stuff is very expensive. I started a thread about that years ago trying to figure out why.. the odd thing to me was the really unique appearance and smell for a virgin oil. Toyota is doing something different with this stuff, and it’s clearly not solely for thinner viscosity and therefore better mileage, as some allege.

All of that said, Toyota does publish specifications, and ravenol and redline both make fluids that claim they meet those specs, even without the odd smell and dark color. I stuck with the LF 75w for a long time as the cost per mile was quite low, but couldn’t find any during Covid so subbed the ravenol stuff for that change and it is working well enough. Plus the bottle and spout is worth buying the stuff for that ease of use feature alone.

For the diffs.. much less picky. I’d stick with synthetic and change it often enough.. you won’t have issues. Millions and millions of differentials on the road without problems using far worse fluids, and Toyota is among the best at building them in the first place.

Last edited:
I've used Ravenol 75W for the transfer case fluid. Ravenol has been around long enough that I really doubt they'd say their 75W meets Toyota specs if it didn't. Their built in nozzle lets you fill the transfer case without spillage.

Hey all, due for this maintenance, what’s the general consensus on which fluid/brand is optimal for the Lx570. I know there’s a Toyota transfer case fluid that’s pricey, should I pony up for that or is there alternatives. Also front and rear diffs? Thanks as always, bonus points if you know the quantity for this service.

This is from my '17 LC Owners Manual. The info is the same for the LX. If you don't have an Owner's Manual for your LX, you can download one from the Lexus owner's web site.

Diffs
Oil capacityFront2.01 qt. (1.90 L, 1.67 Imp.qt.)
Rear4.44 qt. (4.20 L, 3.70 Imp.qt.)
Oil type and viscosityToyota Genuine Differential gear oil LT 75W-85 GL-5 or equivalent

Transfer case
Oil capacity1.53 qt. (1.45 L, 1.28 Imp.qt.)
Oil type*Toyota Genuine Transfer Gear oil LF or equivalent
Recommended oil viscositySAE 75W

I am 1000 miles from 75K and will be doing the front and rear diff and transfer case. I plan on just taking mine to Cedar Park Toyota. I figure Toyota cost for this is just insurance to keep the 100K warranty intact. At 150K I might do it all my self and use off shelf stuff. I am replacing fluids at 75K due to regular towing. At 100K I will deal with transmission. Good Luck with what ever fluid you end up picking.

Watch your rear end and/or the bill. Both Toyota/Lexus and Toyota dealers use the same oil for both the diff's and the transfer case. Another reason why it's a fast and easy diy.

I am 1000 miles from 75K and will be doing the front and rear diff and transfer case. I plan on just taking mine to Cedar Park Toyota. I figure Toyota cost for this is just insurance to keep the 100K warranty intact. At 150K I might do it all my self and use off shelf stuff. I am replacing fluids at 75K due to regular towing. At 100K I will deal with transmission. Good Luck with what ever fluid you end up picking.
I'd ask them to show you the fluid they will put in the transfer case before agreeing to the service.

And lock your glove box and keep the key blade!

Not a gear oil expert, but will pass along directions given to me by folks we all respect. .

When I re-geared at Slee…the only time I was told it *didn’t matter* much was ONLY during the post-gear-swap (after the immediate swap just post a few hundred miles), take-home, break-in period…during which, I knew full that only 2-3000 miles later, I’d be dumping fluids (and checking for metal flecks) again.
—And THEN…I was to use **the good stuff** since it would be in there long term.

In other words… unless you’re planning REALLY frequent diff fluid dumps…use the best.

Don't buy crappy gear oil in general, but there's nothing particularly demanding about the gear oil in our diffs. Check the requirements that Toyota lays out (I think they spec GL5 gear oil) and make sure whatever you're shopping for meets that spec. I used Mobil 1 in mine, but I'd be comfortable with any name brand (including Ravenol) in my diffs.

I used the Ravenol 75W in my transfer case. No complaints.

I just replaced oil in my diffs and TC on my Tundra recently. Amsoil 75w90 in the diffs, and Ravenol 75w in the TC.

I will probably do the same thing in my LX; just need to see what kind of gaskets or crush washers Lexus was using that year.

So many things to order. These trucks are tanks, but I want to get ahead with lots of preventative maintenance.

Front diff drain gasket (copper) (1) 90430-24003
Rear diff drain/fill, front diff fill (rolled steel) (3) 12157-10010
TC fill/drain (aluminum) (2) 90430-18008

You might consider having the Lexus IS diff drain plug to install in the drain of your front diff, it is harder to strip than the pretty poorly designed stock plug with a 10mm internal hex
Lexus IS drain plug: 90341-24016

I usually order things like axle drain gaskets with extras to have on the shelf.. both so I have spares if I mess something up, and so I don't need to go to the parts counter or online order a 40 cent part in the future.

Front diff drain gasket (copper) (1) 90430-24003
Rear diff drain/fill, front diff fill (rolled steel) (3) 12157-10010
TC fill/drain (aluminum) (2) 90430-18008

You might consider having the Lexus IS diff drain plug to install in the drain of your front diff, it is harder to strip than the pretty poorly designed stock plug with a 10mm internal hex
Lexus IS drain plug: 90341-24016

I usually order things like axle drain gaskets with extras to have on the shelf.. both so I have spares if I mess something up, and so I don't need to go to the parts counter or online order a 40 cent part in the future.
Thanks a ton! Saved me a bunch of searching.

Thanks a ton! Saved me a bunch of searching.
Any time.

Many more part numbers are available in the maintenance log spreadsheet I built over the years, then started a discussion about ideas for improving it and what others are doing. Might be worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom