How much does differential and transfer case fluid change usually cost? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2014 LX 570. I like to get some idea of how much it'll cost to change both rear and front plus transfer case fluid change. I tried to get a quote from a Lexus dealership in Maplewood, MN but they're REALLY bad at responding for a quote. I tried a local auto service and they're charging around $615. I was watching some Youtube video on doing these three services and I'm pretty sure I can change the rear differential fluid but the front and transfer case fluid is bit more involve for DIY at home.

Check out the FAQ stickied post at the start of this forum. I can't help on price, but this thread is GOLD.

The Toyota 75WLF transfer case fluid is expensive (like $80/liter), but if you use a more affordable gear oil in the transfer case (like Ravenol 75W) then it's not too bad.

Shop should only charge an hour or two of labor. In reality they should be able to swap all 3 in an hour, and you'd buy 7 quarts of gear oil for the diffs (they need 6.something) and 2 quarts for the transfer case (which holds 1.something IIRC). If you use Ravenol in the TC I'd guess $250?

Rear differential change is probably the easiest DIY fluid change on the LX570, even easier than changing your oil.

Transfer case is probably equally as involved as changing your oil. The only extra step is removing a cover.

Front differential change isn't hard, provided the drain bolt for your front diff isn't seized. (See the thread referenced above) Recommend ordering the optional front diff plug to swap it out. REPLACE THE FRONT DIFF DRAIN PLUG w/ Improved Lexus Part: 90341-24016

Yes, you're exactly right...removing the cover of the transfer case is what makes me think I should let the pro do it instead of me.

Thank you for all the responses. I'll take a look at the linked thread above.

Yes, you're exactly right...removing the cover of the transfer case is what makes me think I should let the pro do it instead of me.
It's really pretty easy, a lot of bolts and a connector, I think, but it's nothing you'd need a "pro" for. Plenty of YT videos showing how to do it.

Thank you for all the responses. I'll take a look at the linked thread above.

Start with this stubborn drain plug (well maybe check all 3 fill plugs first). If it comes out, you should be able to handle the rest. If it doesn't budge and you don't feel comfortable messing with it..take it in.

I paid $400 in labor to have both diffs and the t-case fluids changed, I provided the fluids. That's probably a bit steep but they topped off all other fluids and greased the drive shafts and UCA's as well. I dropped it off and picked it up same day and I didn't have to get dirty or dispose of the fluids so it worked for me. I do my own oil changes though and plan to every 7K miles going forward. Once I hit 100K miles I'll likely do the OCI's every 5K miles.

Good how-to thread:

Also, Getting the truck up on a set of 4 Rhino ramps really improves the time underneath because there is so much more clearance.

Good how-to thread:

Also, Getting the truck up on a set of 4 Rhino ramps really improves the time underneath because there is so much more clearance.
Agreed. 4 ramps from Harbor Freight & AHC High Mode make all the difference.

2022-04-07 18.32.27.jpg

If you live in Wisconsin and are getting quotes from the Lexus dealer in Maplewood, I suspect we don’t live too far apart. I’ve done the whole job myself before, maybe even twice. If you decide to tackle it, I can be your backup with tools or in person advice. I might even have a full set of fluid and gaskets on hand if you have an accidental spill. I used the Ravenol 75w fluid. Loctite (maybe?) on two bolts in the transfer case area is the only minor wrinkle I can think of. Everything else is straight forward. Plan on greasing the drive shaft while you‘re under there too. Crack open the FILL plugs before draining anything. It’s not a difficult job and if you DIY, you’ll know it was done right.

@KenB, thanks for the offer. I appreciated very much! My planned trip is around June 15 and if we're taking my LX, I may want to have it done before then. I will give Maplewood dealer a chance to respond back to me. If not, I may try to tackle it myself...at least for the differentials. I will keep you posted. Again, thank you for the offer.

Good how-to thread:

Thanks, I'll check out the video.

I already have two ramps...if I'm going to do this, I may need to purchase another set. I was wonder if I can simply stack up some wood underneath the rear tires to prop it up.
I’m in your boat. I’m debating on trying to tackle this with one set of ramps.

I already have two ramps...if I'm going to do this, I may need to purchase another set. I was wonder if I can simply stack up some wood underneath the rear tires to prop it up.
Do NOT just stack up some wood underneath the tires.

You are going to be under the vehicle. Do it properly. Level ground, four ramps or jack stands, all PROPERLY rated for the loads.

I had a friend that chose to slide under a car for just a minute and had it on a floor jack.

That was his last minute. The floor jack collapsed enough that the transmission pan sat on his chest and he couldn't breathe or scream.

Don't shortcut safety.

The Toyota 75WLF transfer case fluid is expensive (like $80/liter), but if you use a more affordable gear oil in the transfer case (like Ravenol 75W) then it's not too bad.

Shop should only charge an hour or two of labor. In reality they should be able to swap all 3 in an hour, and you'd buy 7 quarts of gear oil for the diffs (they need 6.something) and 2 quarts for the transfer case (which holds 1.something IIRC). If you use Ravenol in the TC I'd guess $250?
I assumed diff. and transfer case uses the same fluid?

I assumed diff. and transfer case uses the same fluid?
nope. diffs use 75W-85 or 75W-90, which is cheap.

transfer case uses 75W LF, which is $$$. There are some non-Toyota options now which are cheaper. You probably can run 75W-90 but it's not the spec fluid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom