OEM Mirrors won't stay in position (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My originals would move no matter what fix I tried. Bought new OEM and they have not moved aside from when my other half bumped them.

skip the CCOT mirror assemblies;

they are inexpensive, but they are cheap plastic and don't last.
if you don't drive your 40 much, they look good and thats about it.

the 'plastic' attachment to the door is the weakest link

the metal arms might be the only thing useful

Quick cheap and easy fix for mine was to loosen the 2 screws then dribble a little bit of CA glue (super glue) down through the gap then continue to rotate the mirror for a minute while the glue sets up. If you keep it moving a little, it wont stick in place but it will fill the gap. Then tighten the screws down and your good.

I have a set of SOR reproduction Euro mirrors. They still move in the wind. The arm pivots. I can't figure out how to tighten it.

anyone have any tips or tricks to keep the OEM mirrors locked in position?
Im ready to pay the piper for the Racer Euro Mirrors:

But while I wait for more to show up, any tips on keeping these in position for longer than 15 minutes?

View attachment 1918632
I have the euro mirrors on my ‘79, and have the same issue with the passenger side mirror. I used some thread tape and zip ties to help. I will send a picture tomorrow. Unfortunately, it’s something we have to live with, unless we pay $1200 for the ICON mirrors.

I was never impressed with these mirrors and will look into replacing them. The are very easy to break.

I have a set of SOR reproduction Euro mirrors. They still move in the wind. The arm pivots. I can't figure out how to tighten it.
Hi all

Am aware that this is an older thread but I’m facing the same issue with reproduction Euro mirrors.
The whole arm has a tendency to pivot at highway speeds.
Anybody know if the originals are any better/ have a way to tighten that arm to fix it in position vs. the reproduction ones?
Any other solutions since this thread was started?

Thanks!!

Hi all

Am aware that this is an older thread but I’m facing the same issue with reproduction Euro mirrors.
The whole arm has a tendency to pivot at highway speeds.
Anybody know if the originals are any better/ have a way to tighten that arm to fix it in position vs. the reproduction ones?
Any other solutions since this thread was started?

Thanks!!
I have the oem mirrors and once tightened they don't move at speed. My only issue is walking by the car and bumping the passenger mirror . Sucks trying to adjust it when driving.

I have the oem mirrors and once tightened they don't move at speed. My only issue is walking by the car and bumping the passenger mirror . Sucks trying to adjust it when driving.
When my Dad had his last Scout he was always having my Brother or I adjust the passenger side mirror for him.

The when he had his F350 Mom was about 5'-1" and had a little too much to drink and found the passenger side mirror.

You can get convex metal mirrors from the dealer to replace the plastic ones. Much cheaper than the Euro ones and they’ll fit your current arm with slight modification. Good visibility too. View attachment 1919635

Do you have the part number for these mirrors?

I realize I'm about 2 years late replying to this, sorry. Part number is 87901-55011

Lots of good mirror tech in this thread:

FWIW, and to be taken with a grain of salt, or sugar, or pepper, or garlic, or whatever spice of your choosing...

With one of these in between the ball and mirror socket: View attachment 1919999

I can do this:
View attachment 1920001

And these have never been adjusted; well except for that one time.......
View attachment 1920002

.....all better!
View attachment 1920003

But there are many different solutions to this problem......just say'n
Replaced the mirrors on my Saudi Troopy and they are really wiggly at any speed. I think the issue is exacerbated by the chrome mirror arms. Not to be overly pedantic but any idea what size washer worked best for you? I assume pretty small, like maybe 1/4" OD?

Replaced the mirrors on my Saudi Troopy and they are really wiggly at any speed. I think the issue is exacerbated by the chrome mirror arms. Not to be overly pedantic but any idea what size washer worked best for you? I assume pretty small, like maybe 1/4" OD?
To answer my own question, I bought several sizes from 1/4" down and used the 1/4" ones. They worked perfect on a test drive. Eyeballing things, I think 5/16" and maybe even 3/8" would also work. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 1/4" though.

To answer my own question, I bought several sizes from 1/4" down and used the 1/4" ones. They worked perfect on a test drive. Eyeballing things, I think 5/16" and maybe even 3/8" would also work. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 1/4" though.
.....(albeit late to the party)....I do believe it was the 1/4" washer I used. Crazy thing, I've driven my rig over 25K miles with these side mirrors, and they are still holding solid at 80MPH plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom