1970 Front License plate position??? (Generic bumper actually) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In Ohio you have to buy the 25 year valid “antique” plate and keep it in your vehicle. You can then get a plate that is from your year as long as it is color correct and run that one. Ohio no longer has a front plate requirement. I was lucky and got some year/color correct plates. But unlucky as my 72 plate says A74F. And everyone thinks it’s a 74. Wish I was a better tig welder and I would rearrange and correct some plates to be just what I wanted

In Arizona not sure why anything matters. You look on the state DMV website they are all kinds of specialty plates. Guessing if enough FJ40 owners want a special plate we could get one just.formFJ40s. There is a law against having any type of cover over you plate. It is also against the law for any license surround to cover Arizona. Yet see both regularly. Some yellowed covers and some tinted.

Getting back to Bumpers, I think we’ve hijacked Scota4570 post long enough. And I think Scota4570 has decided on filling in the holes on his new FJ40 bumper and I agree, that’s probably the best path forward if he’s looking for clean look, uninsured with extra holes. And I can ‘feel his pain’ not getting what he thought he was ordering. However, dealing with 50 year old hardware you gotta make the best of what you got….and add it to the STORY!

Be Good, Be Safe….Keep the shinny side up!

In Ohio you have to buy the 25 year valid “antique” plate and keep it in your vehicle. You can then get a plate that is from your year as long as it is color correct and run that one. Ohio no longer has a front plate requirement. I was lucky and got some year/color correct plates. But unlucky as my 72 plate says A74F. And everyone thinks it’s a 74. Wish I was a better tig welder and I would rearrange and correct some plates to be just what I wanted

That's somewhat correct. In Ohio you have to run a state issued, unaltered plate with the correct yr of the vehicle. I opted to just buy regular tags, so i didn't have to deal with the Historical plate restrictions. I plan to drive my 40 daily if I want too.

My '70 was bought by my father in 1971 from a friend of his for $1800. Shortly there after the head cracked. It was repaired. Repeat several times. In about 1980 a Chevy 296 was poorly installed. The work was badly done by a hack. For 30 years it was used for deer hunting, every year. Modifications were made, parts were deleted. Things were broken. Body parts were damaged. Repairs were done by shade tree hacks on a shoestring budget. The top was off for 40 years. When I inherited it it was in sad shape. In the last years of my father's life he hired another hack who took two years to do a cosmetic freshing up which included mostly rattle can spray paint and cheap body work. Prep work was minimal, gloss black spray paint wen right over grease and dirt. Knowing I would inherit the truck soon, The tub was done in single phase at my insistence behind my father back. I bought the paint and gave it to the guy. He intended to use non factory color in clear coat. He did terrible prep work leaving lots of nibs and dirt under the paint. The "work" took two years, he refused to answer phone calls, and it was clear he was trying to wait for my father to die and steal the vehicle. His work was terrible.

My father cherished the truck. Unfortunately he was not mechanically inclined. He was taken advantage of. I think he would be proud of what I have done to bring his rig back.

So, I inherited a non road worthy truck that had been worked on my a conga line of incompetent's and crooks. My ownership is a new chapter in it's history. I am fortunate that it is nearly rust free. My goal it to make it attractive looking and practical to drive. That includes repair of mechanical defects, damage and aesthetic problems. I want to preserve it so it will be around as long as possible. So far I have repaired the fiberglass top, top metal, headliner, all electrical and mechanical systems to work properly, including windshield wipers, heater, windshield washer, backup lights, all new rubber, etc. I have done all the paint work in single phase factory color. I am undoing the damage done over the years. As long as I am doing it I prefer that I make everything as close to factory appearance as practical. How far I will take it I am not sure yet. I am not interested in a 100 point concourse restoration. But a beat up ranch truck has no interest to me either.
I really applaud your effort to restore your father's 40. Given the desire to have it back to original, what are you going to do about the engine? Do you still have the original block with the cracked head?

I found someplace that would stamp out plates with whatever number.
I thought I had bookmarked it, but can't find it
I was kicking around getting a replica 1976 Minnesota plate with my registration number on it.

Legal? No.
Do I care? Also no. 😆

I don't think too many police would give a crap anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom