Rear back up light stays lit when switch is running or in the on position (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 73 FJ. Why doesthe backup light stay on when running / in the on position??
CloseDriveRear.jpeg

Power goes to the switch on the transmission top any time the switch is on. First place I would look is that switch. Possibly suck with the plunger pushed in.

Not a purest so a nice lighted LED switch water proof switch is like $10 for a pair on Amoron could be wired in about 5 minutes.
Amazon product ASIN B0B1X1G7WM
Not worth $100 to me even if they had one.

Stick switch on transmission. Happned to me, too. Look for a wire running up to the rear of the top plate.

Wow, that must be one of those "NASA" back up lights, I guess you need a six million dollar wench to install it. 😍

I have a 73 FJ. Why doesthe backup light stay on when running / in the on position??View attachment 3500170
Check the wiring at the switch isn't shorted and the switch is tight in the hole, and then next thing id try is gently tapping the switch body with a wrench (while not in reverse) to see if you can free it off.
Might just pop back out.

Living in the Past and TxFj40 better hide the goods, like driving around with a gold brick bolted to the back of their 40’s…..

While the 73 is a one year only reverse light the opening in the tub is the same as the 68-72 model FJ40. I have since removed that reverse light in fear it could possibly get broken in the crowded garage. If I had to park a 73 where it was visible like a driveway would install a 68-72 reverse light and keep the 73 light in a safe place.

Thanks everyone. I can't find the "button" off the shifter - where the shifter joins to floor. Fotrgot to mention its a 3 speed. I might just take the bulb out lol

RearInsideClose.JPG

Not on the floor--on the rear of the top plate of the tranny which you should be able to reach from underneath with some contortions. Look for a wire running up to the top of the tranny.

The switch is under the black rubber boot. You can see the red/blue wires trailing off towards the passenger side frame rail.
Unplug the red/blue wires, and if the light goes out, the switch is stuck "in reverse" or there is a short in the two wires going from the bullets to the switch. If the light doesn't go out, there is a short in the two wires leading to the passenger side frame rail.

1702082630357.png

Yes, the backup light defines the 73 FJ40.
View attachment 3502007
Also ( since so many are missing the light) first year with the fuel filler door and last with the round taillights.

I have one light for sale if anyone is interested.😉

Also ( since so many are missing the light) first year with the fuel filler door and last with the round taillights.

I have one light for sale if anyone is interested.😉

It was also the first year for a radio opening in the dash and the last year for a functioning vent in the cowl. First year for the new knob design on the dash and last year the rear heater has it's own switch. Only year fan switch was marked front and rear. Wish I would have realized how unique the 73 was when I bought mine. It was still possible to find them in wrecking yards. I did notice the heater switch even though mine were gone and located those. Only part I still searching for is the knob/rod for the cowl vent. One year one in the US since all our 40s has a front heater standard.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the 73 model has a smaller opening in the floor tunnel cover than the 9/73+ with a three speed. It's hard to get at the reverse light switch. Should be able to get to the bullet connectors from the bottom to use to verify it the switch is the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom