69 fj55 rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

im starting my fj55 rebuild project and would love any suggestions what worked and what didnt work. I want something that is going to be dependable and that I can take hunting/exploring in NV. Im going to put in a new engine and any other modern amenities I can. Any help with engine suggestions, tire sizes, lift height im open to ideas. Thanks for the help!!!

View attachment 2906106

View attachment 2906107
Somehow I missed this thread and Pig build!
Congratulations on your 2 Pigs - awesome!!!

Where in NV are you? I am in Las Vegas and just completed the restomod of my 1969 FJ55. Here is what I did to mine over the last year:
- frame on restomod including media blast down to bare metal
- rust/metal repair followed by paint
- replaced 1F with a 1985 2F from a FJ60
- new H55F 5-soeed
- 1987 rebuilt split transfer case
- disc brakes on all four corners
- power steering from a FJ60
- Vintage Air for AC and heat
- Tires BFG K02 33x10.5x15
- I did not do a lift

I am about 125 miles into my shakeout test drives. I can now do 85mph which is better than the 50mph max I was doing with the 1F and 3-speed.
So cool!
We have some common themes running between our Pigs - no lift, 60 series PS, replace 1F (mine didn't come with the engine) w/ 3FE, 33x10.5 BFG AT, and I want to add H55F.

Can you post a photo of the SOR glovebox reproduction? In looking at their website it appears they sell a reproduction glovebox pad and also a reproduction glovebox door? Don't see any photos though.
SOR has a picture of the glove box cover. You have to click the drawing and then it takes you to the detail with price and picture.

Thanks for helping me pull trigger on new dash. Now I have to find little time to go back down and pick up the dash from body shop and send off. Doesn't make sense to do all this and leave a crappy dash. I too would be interested in seeing the glovebox cover.

I got mine from SLOCruisers. If John is out and he was for quite a while, I found someone on MUD who bought some from Steele Rubber. Required four seals to be pieced together for the correct side.

4E62993F-3D09-4EED-B60B-2B3EE9E623E9.jpeg

he is out of them. i found these in Australia but who knows what you get?
1647485736392.png

does anyone know anyone who has put a r2.8 cummins in their fj55? I would love to pick their mind.

Only a 60 series but without the pipe hooked up it still sounded good. Checked in with the guy who did it and he loves the 2.8. However reviews not so good overseas, I guess important to where they are manufactured.

does anyone know anyone who has put a r2.8 cummins in their fj55? I would love to pick their mind.
Dan,

Go check out the Scout at Infinite Velocity Motorsports in Sparks. They are doing r2.8 conversion and it’s legit. Next week should have it wrapped up.

-Steve

Ok folks even though I have not posted lately things are progressing. Life gets in way, elk hunts, antelope hunts, family trips and of course the stupid VID. Im very thankful for all the help and support I have received so far. I could not does this by myself.

I have stripped down the PIG and started the rebuild. I decided to go with the cummins R2.8 with the tremec 4050 5 speed trans. Im getting ready to make the motor mounts and trans mount. Then im going to have it sandblasted before it goes to the body shop for a makeover. Anyone have color options im still looking?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom