2nd row removal and SRS fix (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice! How hard was it to remove the 40% seat?
The 40% seat isn't too bad. I won't do the 60% one by myself anymore, is just too darned heavy and awkward. Last time I did, I put a huge gouge in the speaker grille on the door.

The 40% seat isn't too bad. I won't do the 60% one by myself anymore, is just too darned heavy and awkward. Last time I did, I put a huge gouge in the speaker grille on the door.
Oh my… yeah, that thing looks really heavy.
Might have to call my buddy before I attempt to do it.

Toyota uses a special connector that closes the circuit formed by the leads to the airbag to avoid static electricity possibly deploying them, which should keep things safe. But, they are explicit in the FSM that the battery should be disconnected. This may also be to avoid damaging a module if it somehow still has power when the plug is pulled.

Then again they say that about lots of stuff you can accomplish without doing so.

Collect information (above, including Markuson’s experience) and make your decisions.

Ya, I guess I should just report my experience…

Pretty sure Toyota’s lawyers insisted on that little instruction out of massive caution rather than causation…but who knows. Never heard of a deployment from static disconnection…

Oh my… yeah, that thing looks really heavy.
Might have to call my buddy before I attempt to do it.
It is even heavier than it looks.. probably because of the awkward positioning and lack of a really good way to get ahold of it. I just manage each time.. but every one I'm glad I spend so much time each week lifting weights. My seats have been spending more and more time sitting in the house instead of getting reinstalled between trips because of the difficulty of R&R and risk of damaging things as @KLF noted.

Reviving an old thread.

Is the consensus still that it won't cause any issues removing the second row seat and not using the resistor fix other than having the light? IOW, does all the resistor do is make the light go away?

Getting ready to go on a trip and removed one of the second row seats. It will go back in when I get home.

Reviving an old thread.

Is the consensus still that it won't cause any issues removing the second row seat and not using the resistor fix other than having the light? IOW, does all the resistor do is make the light go away?

Getting ready to go on a trip and removed one of the second row seats. It will go back in when I get home.
You’re fine

Reviving an old thread.

I'm not sure if it's been determined that all the other remaining bags will still deploy if the light is on, and there is an event that should trigger them.

For the cost and convenience of the plug-in options, I'd just eliminate all doubt and do the resistor mod.

That said, being a safety system I'd be surprised if a fault in one bag disabled the rest of the system. Then again they are designed to work as a system.. so maybe it would alter the deployment strategy for that seating location? Lots of "maybe's" and conjecture.. best bet is to just get the resistor.

My bypass parts from Brads Hacks have been working great for tens of thousands of miles now. If you don't have time for that trimming basic resistors will also work well.. I still have mine in a drawer.

For the cost and convenience of the plug-in options, I'd just eliminate all doubt and do the resistor mod.

That said, being a safety system I'd be surprised if a fault in one bag disabled the rest of the system. Then again they are designed to work as a system.. so maybe it would alter the deployment strategy for that seating location? Lots of "maybe's" and conjecture.. best bet is to just get the resistor.

My bypass parts from Brads Hacks have been working great for tens of thousands of miles now. If you don't have time for that trimming basic resistors will also work well.. I still have mine in a drawer.

Yes I agree. Getting ready to leave on a trip so time crunched. I went ahead and ordered this one and will install this weekend. The seat will go back in after the trip.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Amazon product ASIN B007Z7LG8G

Reviving an old thread.

Zero functional issue with or without the resistor. The only side effect the resistor eliminates is the red seatbelt light on the dash. The seat’s absence has no effect of ant kind on the rest of the system. I confirmed this some tears back with Totota.

Their lawyers would never allow one seat’s disconnection hamper other seat systems/airbags firing.

I confirmed this some tears back with Totota.

Their lawyers would never allow one seat’s disconnection hamper other seat systems/airbags firing.

You asked Toyota and they confirmed disconnecting the seat would not adversely affect the other airbags? Surprised Toyota would provide this type of info to a consumer.

If that is the case, I would imagine that disconnecting the front driver's seat airbag connection to install an aftermarket seat would be the same situation.

If that is the case, I would imagine that disconnecting the front driver's seat airbag connection to install an aftermarket seat would be the same situation.

Allowing deployment doesn’t mean the others will work correctly to protect an occupant in that seat in an accident.

You asked Toyota and they confirmed disconnecting the seat would not adversely affect the other airbags? Surprised Toyota would provide this type of info to a consumer.

I don’t think its weird at all.
I didn’t ask if they liked it.
I simply asked if people who need to remove second row seats should worry that their installed-seat airbags would fail.
Their answer was no.
**They also mentioned that they are well aware that LC users all over the world remove rear seats for various reasons…including military, safari, etc.
So… 👍🏼

PS. This also came up at a routine service at my local Toyota. The service manager mentioned that his tech noted an airbag warning light…but that he pointed out to his tech that one of the 2nd row seats was removed, so no worries. 👍🏼x2

A non-verification side thought—
-Just imagine if the reverse were true(!!). -That would mean that any inadvertent disconnection or faulty wire on ANY seat at any time…would put all lives in air-bag failure jeopardy. Pretty sure we’d be hearing about this industry-wide if it worked that way, and lawsuits would be huge. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Odd circumstance here: I’m getting a persistent airbag light after removing and re-installing the rear seats (broke the drivers side connector). Repaired the connector/connection and airbag light still illuminated. Logic tells me that this mod would now double the resistance in the system given that the rear bag is now once again present. Any ideas on troubleshooting here? Every fuse in the truck is good, no codes, might need to dig into the module I suppose?

Odd circumstance here: I’m getting a persistent airbag light after removing and re-installing the rear seats (broke the drivers side connector). Repaired the connector/connection and airbag light still illuminated. Logic tells me that this mod would now double the resistance in the system given that the rear bag is now once again present. Any ideas on troubleshooting here? Every fuse in the truck is good, no codes, might need to dig into the module I suppose?

Wait.. so why would the resistance be double? Did you hard-wire in the resistor? Most of us have a bypass in place that would need to be removed to plug the airbag back in

Wait.. so why would the resistance be double? Did you hard-wire in the resistor? Most of us have a bypass in place that would need to be removed to plug the airbag back in
No, for now I’ve just repaired to connector, so it’s back to as-factory. But I still have the airbag light, so I feel like I tripped something, and I’m debating just seeing if the fix in this thread would kick something back into gear. Kind of leaning toward just leaving it for now, truly no rear seat passengers so risk-exposure by leaving it as is is very low in my case.

No, for now I’ve just repaired to connector, so it’s back to as-factory. But I still have the airbag light, so I feel like I tripped something, and I’m debating just seeing if the fix in this thread would kick something back into gear. Kind of leaning toward just leaving it for now, truly no rear seat passengers so risk-exposure by leaving it as is is very low in my case.
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for awhile?

Reading the error codes?

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for awhile?

Reading the error codes?
I have. Battery sat disconnected for ~25 minutes, and no codes. I must be missing something, maybe an unplug-plug-back-in.. sorry for hijacking the thread, closest I could find. Will keep working at it once I’m not 1000mi from home

I have. Battery sat disconnected for ~25 minutes, and no codes. I must be missing something, maybe an unplug-plug-back-in.. sorry for hijacking the thread, closest I could find. Will keep working at it once I’m not 1000mi from home
Any time the airbag light is on there should be a code at that point. What are you using to read them? Techstream obviously will pull them, I've read/reset SRS codes with my Carista before, but some readers may not get into those parts of the toyota canbus system to pull SRS.

I still don't understand the logic around doubling resistance.

You messed up a connector, so you repaired that, then plugged the seat back in, and now still get a light?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom