2nd row removal and SRS fix (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I believe You mentioned the SLEE shop truck (LX570) has a 2nd row seat removed for a fridge and they just roll with the SRS light on with the understanding that it shouldn't effect the operation of the others. You mentioned it in my build thread and said it came up in a conversation you had with them.

I do remember that, but I can't remember which convo someone chimed in with verification. When I was at Slee in August, they were just ignoring the light on the dash at that point... I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth...but it may have been in conversation there. Really not sure. For me, I'm confident enough of it to do this mod without further worry, but we all have our different comfort levels. This is a VERY common mod in Australia.

I do remember that, but I can't remember which convo someone chimed in with verification. When I was at Slee in August, they were just ignoring the light on the dash at that point... I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth...but it may have been in conversation there. Really not sure. For me, I'm confident enough of it to do this mod without further worry, but we all have our different comfort levels. This is a VERY common mod in Australia.

Yes, and very common in the tuner community when they replace the stock seats with racing buckets.

So my 200's SRS light is on and I've traced it back to a fault with the sensor in the rear passenger seat. From what I can see its impossible or very very difficult to access this system in the seat to locate the fault and repair it, assuming that its repairable. Toyota wants something like $4k for the whole seat because they don't sell just the harness and wiring for this sensor.

I'd like to bypass the sensor and have it in a mode where it believes the seat is occupied. That way if there is someone riding back there and the rig rolls the airbags would still deploy. My understanding is that the mod in this thread tricks the SRS system into believing the seat is unoccupied.

Thoughts?

So my 200's SRS light is on and I've traced it back to a fault with the sensor in the rear passenger seat. From what I can see its impossible or very very difficult to access this system in the seat to locate the fault and repair it, assuming that its repairable. Toyota wants something like $4k for the whole seat because they don't sell just the harness and wiring for this sensor.

I'd like to bypass the sensor and have it in a mode where it believes the seat is occupied. That way if there is someone riding back there and the rig rolls the airbags would still deploy. My understanding is that the mod in this thread tricks the SRS system into believing the seat is unoccupied.

Thoughts?

It'll be dangerous for your second row occupants but yes, the yellow connector is near the front outboard seat bolts on either side. Pull the cover off and you'll see it.

Yea I forgot that the airbag is in the damned seat. I was thinking it was a sensor to deactivate portions of the curtain

may have to look at what it takes to open these damn seats up.

not sure if this helps but it looks like the harness does exist

88e4200a5dae19b50cdb349290fdb386.png

thanks. Good news though, I noticed that the wires at the connector were really tight. With the battery disconnected I was able to get some more slack in the line and plug the connectors back together. So far the light has stayed off.

Nice to have the full schematic though thanks!

Bump, just did this mod and worked exactly as described. I didn’t even bother disconnecting the battery and the airbag light turned off. Thx for the info

Sorry that I'm in an old thread, but I wanted to clarify the comment made by 'ibbest'. You were able to disconnect the airbag connection and replace it with the resistor fix while the battery was still connected? I'm thinking of doing the second row removal but was concerned about disconnecting the battery of a 2020 LC. I was worried that it would screw up the power doors or starting the truck like I've read in some forums. Thank you.

Sorry that I'm in an old thread, but I wanted to clarify the comment made by 'ibbest'. You were able to disconnect the airbag connection and replace it with the resistor fix while the battery was still connected? I'm thinking of doing the second row removal but was concerned about disconnecting the battery of a 2020 LC. I was worried that it would screw up the power doors or starting the truck like I've read in some forums. Thank you.

No need to remove battery. In fact...if you don’t mind the little red light on your dash, the absence of the seat or resistor has zero impact on anything except that little red light. All other belts, bags, etc remain 100% unphased.

No need to remove battery.

I can't agree with this. Maybe I'm paranoid, but every time I touch anything to do with the air bags, it's with the battery disconnected (and waiting a few minutes). This is what is in all the FSM instructions, so I go by it. I don't know if it's possible, but it would really SUCK to do something that would pop an airbag inadvertently, especially inside a seat.

I've never had any ill effects from disconnecting the battery. The first time I get in the truck after re-connecting, I put the truck in ACC mode (one push on the Start button, but no foot on the brake), then wait while it says "Loading..." on the screen. Once it's happy, then foot on brake, start it up. It will start and immediately die. This is standard behavior. Just start it again, it will settle into it's usual idle and be fine.

I can't agree with this. Maybe I'm paranoid, but every time I touch anything to do with the air bags, it's with the battery disconnected (and waiting a few minutes). This is what is in all the FSM instructions, so I go by it. I don't know if it's possible, but it would really SUCK to do something that would pop an airbag inadvertently, especially inside a seat.

I've never had any ill effects from disconnecting the battery. The first time I get in the truck after re-connecting, I put the truck in ACC mode (one push on the Start button, but no foot on the brake), then wait while it says "Loading..." on the screen. Once it's happy, then foot on brake, start it up. It will start and immediately die. This is standard behavior. Just start it again, it will settle into it's usual idle and be fine.

It’s ok if you disagree...and skepticism is my middle name...
...but I’ve disconnected or reconnected my 2nd row seats *at least* 30 times or more without battery disconnect...and in this particular case? I can personally testify that it makes no difference...& causes no errors...on a 2008, US spec LC.
:hillbilly: <But skepticism is wise, so all good!

It’s ok if you disagree...and skepticism is my middle name...
...but I’ve disconnected or reconnected my 2nd row seats *at least* 30 times or more without battery disconnect...and in this particular case? I can personally testify that it makes no difference...& causes no errors...on a 2008, US spec LC.
:hillbilly: <But skepticism is wise, so all good!

Understood. I'm putting mine back in tomorrow (removing the resisters), and it will be with the battery disconnected. I guess it only takes one tiny spark of static electricity to fire whatever magic is in those things. At least that's what I've read, so I'm not gonna chance it.

Understood. I'm putting mine back in tomorrow (removing the resisters), and it will be with the battery disconnected. I guess it only takes one tiny spark of static electricity to fire whatever magic is in those things. At least that's what I've read, so I'm not gonna chance it.

Totally understand the caution.

Just for sake of thinkin... I have a feeling if they were truly that sensitive...?...thinkin toyota would make them more difficult to disconnect, since inadvertent airbag blasts would mean lawsuits when someone yanks their second row out. ;)

But meh...

Last edited:
Nah it's all good. I'm just paranoid, those things scare the crap outta me, I'm terrified I'm gonna set it off. And those yellow connectors are a PITA to take apart sometimes, especially some of the ones under the dash.

:beer::beer:

Nah it's all good. I'm just paranoid, those things scare the crap outta me, I'm terrified I'm gonna set it off. And those yellow connectors are a PITA to take apart sometimes, especially some of the ones under the dash.

:beer::beer:

Ya, with you on that. One of the seat connectors lack an obvious release. Would have been great if they designed some of those things in anticipation of modification...but that’s one of those casualties of electronic “progresszzz” ;)

FWIW I too have disconnected airbags dozens of times on awhile host of vehicles w/out disconnecting the battery. I’ve never had one pop on me. But better safe than sorry if you don’t like taking the gamble.

Ya, with you on that. One of the seat connectors lack an obvious release. Would have been great if they designed some of those things in anticipation of modification...but that’s one of those casualties of electronic “progresszzz” ;)

The connectors are so darned fragile, and the wires are SOOOOO THIN!! I treat them very carefully, headlamp on, go slowly, pry with a very small screwdriver. Haven't broken one yet, but the older they are, the more fragile/brittle they get.

FWIW I too have disconnected airbags dozens of times on awhile host of vehicles w/out disconnecting the battery. I’ve never had one pop on me. But better safe than sorry if you don’t like taking the gamble.

OK, good to know.

I remember going to vehicle accident victim extrication training several years ago when air bags were just becoming standard, and the first thing we were trained to do was cut the main ground wire on the battery with these big pair of cutters. This disabled any more bags from deploying. Maybe they don't do that anymore.

Thank you, all for this discussion. This is exactly what I'd hoped would result from my post. It really helps to get all your views and the procedure for loading once the battery is reconnected is something I didn't know. Thanks again, great forum for guys like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom