Builds Montana 65 FJ45LV "Tin Zen" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I built my first 40 in the back parking lot of my townhome complex in Edwards, Co (vail) and part of that build happened during the winter. I can feel how cold you are just looking at these photos!

Are the snouts/spindles the same throughout the years on all 40 series? Probably could just get a new spindle instead of fussing with the bronze bushing?
What makes you think its cold in there??

20211215_080624.jpg

Looks like good week ahead for working on the LV after today's white shyt moves through!

Took a couple hours last night and cleaned up the front shackles. Re-tapped the threads, removed all the hardened rubber from the pins, and squirted a little paint on them. Ordered all new OEM rubber bushings and grease. Noted an interesting detail, the shackle nuts are tapered on one end and square on the other.

20220115_091042.jpg
20220115_091716.jpg

I built my first 40 in the back parking lot of my townhome complex in Edwards, Co (vail) and part of that build happened during the winter. I can feel how cold you are just looking at these photos!

Are the snouts/spindles the same throughout the years on all 40 series? Probably could just get a new spindle instead of fussing with the bronze bushing?
The bushing I'm referring to is pressed in the axle housing, labeled #4 on the drawing. I belive it acts as the oil seal as well. I have a solid 1/4" play on the driver's side. There's also play in the ball and claw on that side. Trying to get my hands on the low mileage axles out of the same truck I got the F135 out of. Looking good for that, I just have to wait until March for those though.

20220115_132144.jpg

Really been enjoying my time with this project, I haven't used a power tool on this car yet. I've turned every nut, bolt and screw by hand only, then I've re-cut every thread that I've touched. It's all about the journey.

20220116_172748.jpg

Last edited:
Nice find Steve! Where in CA?
Thanks Ken. They're in So. Cal, near Alpine. Making plans for a trip out there in March. I've been wanting to catch the Bakersfield swap meet at the end of April but I'm not waiting that long to get these axles.

Last edited:
Noticed a wee bit of seepage at the lower front seam of the fuel tank. I went ahead and pulled it so I could take it somewhere for repair. Really not even sure how repairable something like this is but I'm about to find out.

20220110_103731.jpg
20220122_152754.jpg
20220122_153608.jpg

Do you know if that fuel tank is stock for your 65 FJ45LV? I have the exact one installed as an auxiliary tank on my FJ45 LPB.

Took mine off to do some cleaning and have the inside sealed/lined.

20220128_125101.jpg

Last edited:
Your tank has the long filler tube just like my LV tank...but mine has a massive dent in it :frown:.

Steve, if I am thinking of the same nice fellow mudder let me know if I can help with bringing them from Junction Tuesday. Truck is open and would be easy for me to drop them at your home or anywhere along the route home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom