TTT -- The Tool Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't. It's a job that needs done so infrequently I just get by with what I have.

Those duckbill ones Jon posted won't work for the snap rings on the turbo compressor housing. I have a pair of those.

You need pin drive, internal bore, large diameter, snap ring pliers, but as you can see below, they're expensive. That's why I haven't bought a set. This is the correct plier for the job though.

KNIPEX Tools - Large Circlip Pliers, Internal, Straight, 4 51/64"-12" Bore Dia. (4410J5)

Amazon product ASIN B003UHUCDA

So I ate my words tonight. I fought and cursed and threw tools at both snap rings on the truck tonight. Gave myself a couple of blood blisters in the making.

Long story short I found a set of pliers that should be big enough for $40 on Amazon. I'll use them and report back @lt1fire .

I hate when tools bite me. And to think that I was the only one to cuss in the garage.

I hate when tools bite me. And to think that I was the only one to cuss in the garage.
Definitely not the only one :lol: Tonight was....frustrating

So I ate my words tonight. I fought and cursed and threw tools at both snap rings on the truck tonight. Gave myself a couple of blood blisters in the making.

Long story short I found a set of pliers that should be big enough for $40 on Amazon. I'll use them and report back @lt1fire .
My blood blisters finally went away last week lol.

@lt1fire these work amazballs. 11/10. Buy a set.

Super cool feature, they lock closed when you have tension on the ring, the pins are tilted to keep the ring on the tips, and they kinda ratchet open when you're releasing tension.

Amazon product ASIN B002GQANGC

PXL_20220106_195612688.jpg

@lt1fire these work amazballs. 11/10. Buy a set.

Super cool feature, they lock closed when you have tension on the ring, the pins are tilted to keep the ring on the tips, and they kinda ratchet open when you're releasing tension.

Amazon product ASIN B002GQANGC

View attachment 2886162
Nice!!! Ordering now. Going to have the 606 out of the benz and on a stand in a few weeks so ill get that damn turbo clocked in the right direction now.

How about a DIY tool?

Made these earlier today. Third hand tools for work holding when doing bench welding tasks. These paid for themselves in an afternoon. They make tacking small parts together a lot less frustrating.

PXL_20220109_225101775.jpg

I was watching a video and this guy had a steel paint mixing stick with a wood handle. Cool! After a good search starting with metal paint mixers, cake decorating knives on Amazon. $11. Large one is perfect for gallon can. Dont understand why they appear serrated in the photo. They are smooth with dull edges

272096689_5208591229171726_122855084120429397_n.jpg

In the late 80s, when I painted my Nissan pickup for the 3rd time, I "repurposed a thin plastic spatula, and two cake decorating knives similar to those from our kitchen.

My mom was not happy Bout that. almost as unhappy as when my parents came back from a long weekend to find the roof of said pickup in our garage(she almost cut her foot on the horribly cut sheet metal), and me and the rest of the truck were at my friends house trying to make our own convertible kit....

Well my cheapo Craftsman 1/2" torque wrench finally decided that 5 years was too long for it to be a part of this world and it broke (shattered) the internal ratchet mechanism. Decided it was a good time to finally upgrade to some half decent torque wrenches, The 1/2" wrench is a monster! These are some nice split beam torque wrenches.

Precision Instruments C3FR250F 1/2"

Precision Instruments PREC2FR100F 3/8"

IMG_9376.jpg

Last edited:
I have about a dozen chisels of various qualities that need sharpening. Since I’m not a woodworker, I’ve never been too obsessed with maintenance or even ‘correct usage’, so it’s time to change that and deal with what I have instead of buying another couple that are sharp enough for the task at hand (my usual MO).

What do you guys do for sharpening? I’m thinking of going to Woodcraft and getting the jig that holds a chisel or plane blade at the correct angle ($9 on sale) and some assorted sandpaper grits to use over a piece of glass. My hands can’t be trusted to hold a consistent angle freehand anymore and all of my stones are too short for use for a chisel. Am I on the right path here?

Yup. Then finish them off with a Japanese wet stone so you can shave with them. I have a few old Stanley’s and a Miller that has received that process. Purdy and sharp.

Edit: I used spray adhesive on the sandpaper on the glass.

I don't have one but have friends that swear by the Work Sharp. Not sure how well it would work for a chisel and they are pretty pricey too... but very cool

I sharpen mine by hand. Drop by and I'll show you how.

I have two Norton natural waterstones - the double sided ones: 220/1000 & 4000/8000

I've had them for literally decades; I have no idea now where I bought them. Probably Klingspor's, when they were still in Charlotte. Norton has made them forever.

Chris Schwarz taught me. I like waterstones because they cut slower than oilstones and you have less of a chance of screwing up your edge. It usually takes about five minutes to get a working edge from the time I pull them out until I put them up.

I have about a dozen chisels of various qualities that need sharpening. Since I’m not a woodworker, I’ve never been too obsessed with maintenance or even ‘correct usage’, so it’s time to change that and deal with what I have instead of buying another couple that are sharp enough for the task at hand (my usual MO).

What do you guys do for sharpening? I’m thinking of going to Woodcraft and getting the jig that holds a chisel or plane blade at the correct angle ($9 on sale) and some assorted sandpaper grits to use over a piece of glass. My hands can’t be trusted to hold a consistent angle freehand anymore and all of my stones are too short for use for a chisel. Am I on the right path here?

You can use my Tormek. It will put a razor edge on anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom