Feel like an idiot in regards to the "slinky" suspension kit (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've seen the "slinky" suspension setup that people have been setting up all over, but I can't seem to find anything across google that matches that.

I know its something to do with the ICON suspension kits, but I can't seem to find any terms or mentions of it anywhere on various site.

I'm an idiot I guess, but does anyone have a link ?

Debating on either the Dobinson or this Slinky 4" long travel setup.

Slinky has a 3" & 2" options...
Millcreekoverland.com is the USA distribution
On ih8mud there is a thread called 80 series compiled suspension thread that has a bunch of spec info.

Curious why you're still doing SLEE 4" with KINGS .

Well first would be a personal preference and the fact that "Slinky" doesn't make a 4" lift kit.

Per other members, if you want to run over a 35" tire the slinky kit will require you to do some trimming.

Slee's heavy spring can accommodate my Slee bumper, full size spare, 24 gallon sub tank, and drawer system I am putting in.

I know slinky has a heavy rear spring set, however it's more expensive than Slee's and I have yet to see some long term reviews or data.

As for the Kings, I wanted a 2.5 remote shock with an adjuster. Both King and Icon have great reviews so again this is just a personal preference.

If my rig was a daily than I would for convenience purposes run a 3" slinky and 35's or smaller.

Slinky has a 3" & 2" options...
Millcreekoverland.com is the USA distribution
On ih8mud there is a thread called 80 series compiled suspension thread that has a bunch of spec info.
You're not talking about this one are you ;P

Well first would be a personal preference and the fact that "Slinky" doesn't make a 4" lift kit.

Per other members, if you want to run over a 35" tire the slinky kit will require you to do some trimming.

Slee's heavy spring can accommodate my Slee bumper, full size spare, 24 gallon sub tank, and drawer system I am putting in.

I know slinky has a heavy rear spring set, however it's more expensive than Slee's and I have yet to see some long term reviews or data.

As for the Kings, I wanted a 2.5 remote shock with an adjuster. Both King and Icon have great reviews so again this is just a personal preference.

If my rig was a daily than I would for convenience purposes run a 3" slinky and 35's or smaller.

Hmm I might take that into account then. I'm planning on running 37's but I'm not too worried in doing a bit of trimming.

I was leaning toward the ICONS/Kings as well simply because I would like the ability to adjust valving as necessary. I've pretty much saved up and willing to spend between $2-3k on a decent setup.

Hmm I might take that into account then. I'm planning on running 37's but I'm not too worried in doing a bit of trimming.

I was leaning toward the ICONS/Kings as well simply because I would like the ability to adjust valving as necessary. I've pretty much saved up and willing to spend between $2-3k on a decent setup.

Well if you do go with Slinky I'd be interested in comparing after they are done, I'm not to far away from you in Folsom. My rig is still in the garage waiting for the heavy springs to arrive from Australia. Here is the set up I will be running below.

37" KM3's on Method 105 Beadlocks (-38mm)
King OEM 3-5" lift w/ Adjusters and stabilizer
King Air Bumps (Only because I found them on sale)
Slee 4" lift kit with front end arm upgrade, HD rear control arms, HD steering kit, and full braided lines

Well if you do go with Slinky I'd be interested in comparing after they are done, I'm not to far away from you in Folsom. My rig is still in the garage waiting for the heavy springs to arrive from Australia. Here is the set up I will be running below.

37" KM3's on Method 105 Beadlocks (-38mm)
King OEM 3-5" lift w/ Adjusters and stabilizer
King Air Bumps (Only because I found them on sale)
Slee 4" lift kit with front end arm upgrade, HD rear control arms, HD steering kit, and full braided lines

Well shoot, I wanna see YOUR setup then before I order mine!

I'll hit you up when I'm all ready to actually place my order in, looking to put my orders in the next month or so, still doing some budgeting and planning.

So I've seen the "slinky" suspension setup that people have been setting up all over, but I can't seem to find anything across google that matches that.
You’re not alone. I couldn't find Mill Creek for awhile. 4xOverland doesn’t currently answer emails.
Mill Creek Overland has spotty communication, but they answer if you keep calling.

Last edited:
Fitting 37s has nothing to do with what size lift you have. It has been prove over & over. The new way to fit them without any triming is moving the front axle forward. See @Box Rocket s build thread.
You can run 37s on a 3" lift with 4" of uptravel.
I highly recomend any tapered dual rate coils Slinky, Dobinson or TourFlex.

Fitting 37s has nothing to do with what size lift you have. It has been prove over & over. The new way to fit them without any triming is moving the front axle forward. See @Box Rocket s build thread.
GW, yeah you’re right. Axle location, offset and bumpstop spacing determine tire fitment more than lift height. You and Adam have that body lift secret sauce though haha! It seems to make sense to me to fit those 37s.

On a heavy touring rig, I’d prefer a little more up travel than 4”. I’m on a 4” Dobi tapered lift with 35s and have 6” up travel and 5” down. If I added 37s I’d swap that travel with a bumpstop spacer. But I don’t need or want 37s with what I’m doing.

We need a suspension anonymous sticky thread here. Could talk about it all day!

I wouldn't say you can fit them "without ANY trimming". I still had some trimming with mine, but was able to still keep things mostly intact with a factory look keeping the flares etc.

GW, yeah you’re right. Axle location, offset and bumpstop spacing determine tire fitment more than lift height. You and Adam have that body lift secret sauce though haha! It seems to make sense to me to fit those 37s.

On a heavy touring rig, I’d prefer a little more up travel than 4”. I’m on a 4” Dobi tapered lift with 35s and have 6” up travel and 5” down. If I added 37s I’d swap that travel with a bumpstop spacer. But I don’t need or want 37s with what I’m doing.

We need a suspension anonymous sticky thread here. Could talk about it all day!
Maintaining the compression travel was my only reason for doing the body lift with the 37's. Compression is generally more useful for the type of stuff I'm doing with the truck these days (faster speed "touring" type offroading). Love the droop too for when we get into the rocks but the compression is useful more often. The timbren bumpstops have been a fairly pleasant upgrade. Won't have the same performance as a high end air bump, but have taken away the harshness of bottoming out the suspension. I've got my bumpstops set with 37's pretty much where I had them with 35's. From my *not 100% precise* measurements I'm still getting a full 12" of travel in the front and just shy of the 12" full travel in the rear with the minor loss of travel a result of the bumpstop adjustment for 37's.

Maintaining the compression travel was my only reason for doing the body lift with the 37's. Compression is generally more useful for the type of stuff I'm doing with the truck these days (faster speed "touring" type offroading). Love the droop too for when we get into the rocks but the compression is useful more often. The timbren bumpstops have been a fairly pleasant upgrade. Won't have the same performance as a high end air bump, but have taken away the harshness of bottoming out the suspension. I've got my bumpstops set with 37's pretty much where I had them with 35's. From my *not 100% precise* measurements I'm still getting a full 12" of travel in the front and just shy of the 12" full travel in the rear with the minor loss of travel a result of the bumpstop adjustment for 37's.
Yeah makes a lot of sense to do that with the 37s. I did the Timbrens on the rear axle and have no more jarring bottom out like on the stock frame bumps. Although the rubber bumper portion on the DS rubs a bit on the coil spring. I may look at getting an adjustable panhard to try to center it. Pretty nice overall though.

the 3" Slinky kit seems to run a bit tall from what many others have reported. They are designed to be the advertised lift height when loaded. Nothing you hate more than to get a lift and have it sag and be lower than you thought you were getting. FWIW, I'm almost 4 years in on my Slinky setup and it hasn't sagged a bit, even as I've added some weight.

I didn't trim a millimeter of anything with the Slinky kit to run 35's. Under totally stuffed compression I'd get a very slight rubbing in certain situations but not enough to damage tires, or any sheetmetal or flares. I jumped up to 37's with my 3" slinky kit. This did require minimal trimming but most of the trimming was needed because I moved my front axle forward. If you're dead set on 4" its NBD to add a small trim packer. I chose to add a 1" body lift recently but that was only because I wanted to reduce the amount of bumpstop I was using to get more compression. Sounds like you're set on the Slee/King setup. Nothing wrong with that and I'm not trying to convince you to change direction, just trying to correct some information that's in this thread for others that are reading.

In terms of ride quality, I'll take the dual rate Slinky springs over the linear Slee springs any day. But everyone's preferences are different and the Slee springs are nice springs.

3" Slinky on 35's at nearly full flex and no rubbing.
IMG_0630 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

3" Slinky on 37's (before the 1" bodylift) still a little more travel available in front but the rear was at full stuff. No rubbing.
IMG_3161 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom