Another HJ61. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It looks like you have more than an inch to spare, so 33's should fit. But maybe too close for comfort...

Yea it's a comfort thing.. I think once these springs settle then 33s vs the garage should be no problem.. the tires on it now are in good shape and relatively new so it's hard to justify the change.

Looking good man!

So my stuff is in pieces now.. started with tie rod ends and now I'm doing a clutch. Got the tranny out today, that is not a fun job by yourself.. once again @CenTXFJ60 thanks for all the tips and help.. I'll go get the flywheel resurfaced monday then get back to work!

20200314_175319.jpg

I did the bread trick for the bearing in the flywheel.. worked great! Almost looks like a cinnamon roll.
20200314_155820.jpg

Not sure if that's the original clutch or not, it is an aisin and has the original Toyota logo. The new one has larger springs compared to the old one that's all I really noticed.
20200314_180323.jpg

20200314_174822.jpg

So my stuff is in pieces now.. started with tie rod ends and now I'm doing a clutch. Got the tranny out today, that is not a fun job by yourself.. once again @CenTXFJ60 thanks for all the tips and help.. I'll go get the flywheel resurfaced monday then get back to work!

View attachment 2238859

I did the bread trick for the bearing in the flywheel.. worked great! Almost looks like a cinnamon roll.
View attachment 2238862

Not sure if that's the original clutch or not, it is an aisin and has the original Toyota logo. The new one has larger springs compared to the old one that's all I really noticed.
View attachment 2238867
View attachment 2238868
Great work Mark. And that new clutch definitely looks beefier than your old one. Wonder if that was a 2F one. Your truck is really clean looking as well.

Welp clutch is installed.. i am not good at the how to's.. my take is, find someone with a lift and maybe have a friend help out. I did this in my garage by myself on my back and it sucked. But still a good learning experience, and probably saved some money as well. still not ready for a test drive yet. Still need to do an alignment , bleed the brakes and do a really good look over everything that I touched.

Anyways a couple pics.
Here is the flywheel after being resurfaced.
20200323_173705.jpg

Flywheel and the pressure plate installed.
20200328_132156.jpg

20200328_135655.jpg

I wanted to torque all the bolts once the tranny was in place using the crossmember. Didn't know that would make it such a pain in the ass.. couple extentions and you can torque the top bolts from the cabin.
20200328_183037.jpg

Finnally had this little fella watching me all day..
20200328_162319.jpg

Welp clutch is installed.. i am not good at the how to's.. my take is, find someone with a lift and maybe have a friend help out. I did this in my garage by myself on my back and it sucked. But still a good learning experience, and probably saved some money as well. still not ready for a test drive yet. Still need to do an alignment , bleed the brakes and do a really good look over everything that I touched.

Anyways a couple pics.
Here is the flywheel after being resurfaced.
View attachment 2252686

Flywheel and the pressure plate installed.
View attachment 2252687
View attachment 2252688

I wanted to torque all the bolts once the tranny was in place using the crossmember. Didn't know that would make it such a pain in the ass.. couple extentions and you can torque the top bolts from the cabin.
View attachment 2252689

Finnally had this little fella watching me all day..
View attachment 2252690
Nice work Mark. I know you’re glad to get this job behind you. After the TRE’s and alignment, what will be next before it’s ready for SAS4? Hopefully just a quick bath and polish :).

Just skimmed through your thread, great truck! Love white rigs, very utilitarian.
What’s the story with the clear turn signal and marker light lenses? Is that aftermarket stuff or is that a HJ61 thing?

Nice work Mark. I know you’re glad to get this job behind you. After the TRE’s and alignment, what will be next before it’s ready for SAS4? Hopefully just a quick bath and polish :).

Hopefully that was the last big ticket item. Just random stuff like fluids. Still planning on some bigger tires, but not sure.
Thanks again for all the help. Im sure more calls are coming!

Just skimmed through your thread, great truck! Love white rigs, very utilitarian.
What’s the story with the clear turn signal and marker light lenses? Is that aftermarket stuff or is that a HJ61 thing?
White was not a color I wanted to begin with, but my choices were pretty limited. The color has grown on me since. I am not sure if the side marker was a HJ61 thing or not that was on there when i got it. The rest of the covers were all OEM colors, so I changed them have the clear look. I think that matches better than the yellow. Wish i still had the picture from the day i got it to show a comparison.

Got new tires on it today.. 285/75-16.. next time I need new tires I will find 15 inch wheels, better selection and normal sizing. These are only an inch or so taller and wider but it fills it in pretty good after the lift. I am maxed out in my garage for this as well. I put my old tires on my tacoma and it got rid of the shakes.. for now anyways.

20200420_132029.jpg

20200420_114817.jpg

20200420_114823.jpg

I finally had the chance to take this out after the new lift and tires.. it rides like a dream off road compared to what it was.. only issue I had was the front wheels rubbed when the tires were getting stuffed into the wheel wells. I figured this would happen with the stance it had after the lift anyways.
20200502_110537.jpg

I took very rough measurements of the height difference between the front and rear which was nearly 1-1/2.
20200427_163323.jpg

20200427_163519.jpg

Talked with @cruiseroutfit and great customer service as always they got me squared away with a very good price since I bought the full kit from them before. I put a new set of u-bolts on the front and that cost more than the leafs.

There is really nothing hard about installing these. Keeping the center pin straight and compressing the springs to get the nut on the center pin was the most difficult part. I just used c-clamps to hold the springs and walked them in towards the center as I installed more leafs.
20200502_110551.jpg

The add a leaf added over an inch more on both sides. If it still rubs might just need to add bigger bump stops. But the "stink bug" stance is gone now. Hopefully the rubbing is gone as well.

20200502_132719.jpg

I finally had the chance to take this out after the new lift and tires.. it rides like a dream off road compared to what it was.. only issue I had was the front wheels rubbed when the tires were getting stuffed into the wheel wells. I figured this would happen with the stance it had after the lift anyways.
View attachment 2292993

I took very rough measurements of the height difference between the front and rear which was nearly 1-1/2.
View attachment 2292995
View attachment 2292998

Talked with @cruiseroutfit and great customer service as always they got me squared away with a very good price since I bought the full kit from them before. I put a new set of u-bolts on the front and that cost more than the leafs.

There is really nothing hard about installing these. Keeping the center pin straight and compressing the springs to get the nut on the center pin was the most difficult part. I just used c-clamps to hold the springs and walked them in towards the center as I installed more leafs.
View attachment 2293007

The add a leaf added over an inch more on both sides. If it still rubs might just need to add bigger bump stops. But the "stink bug" stance is gone now. Hopefully the rubbing is gone as well.

View attachment 2293008

That is exactly the stance I want my HJ61 to have!

Installed the Odd Iron light kit. Its amazing and no need to guess about 24v stuff with LED bulbs. Cargo area is also LED. Probably will go all LED with thier kits as bulbs burn out much easier than sourcing 24v bulbs.
20200516_081245.jpg

20200516_081225.jpg

Some major upgrades are complete.. ARB front bumper, 4x4 labs rear, and white knuckle sliders.

Front bumper and sliders were all pretty straight forward, but for the rear I drove out to TX and had the help of Jimmy @CenTXFJ60 and Casey @POTATO LAUNCHER. That is quite the task and there is no way in hell I could have got this built with out thier help.

20200921_135211.jpg

20200922_171653.jpg

20200925_202225.jpg

20201025_143837.jpg

20201025_143815.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom