HJ61 Starter/Starter Relay Problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have a 1989 HJ61 with starting problems. When trying to start, I get what I think are two clicking sounds. One at the starter and one at the starter relay. I am usually able to the truck to start after several tries. Once started I believe I'm still hearing the starter still turning and when shut off the starter in some instances continues to run which I then have to disconnect the battery.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose problem would be appreciated

Thanks much!
Dan

Starters don’t last forever. 35 years is a good run. Either take it to a shop that can rebuild it or find a refurbished/new/aftermarket starter that will work on your vehicle.

Three things..
  1. I wrote a small guide on "Click. No crank" for the HJ60, its not your specific issue but contains information which you could find useful which you can find here.
  2. I would definitely open up your starter relay to clean up the contacts (see guide)
  3. I would definitely go ahead and rebuild your starter solenoid contacts (see guide), the starter latching on is of concern, verify your relay isn't filthy internally at the same time as you clean the contacts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom