Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got around to polishing. Turned out great and really brought the shine back.

3EC6F01E-043D-45E1-A8DE-80E8C5688DA9.jpeg

E5E349E9-5F17-4FE8-BF70-BC91986ED1A8.jpeg

HIJACK =
..........pretty rust.
Maybe the the first time I've ever seen those two words side by side and used in the same sentence....... = HIJACK over, carry on!

Fricken’ awesome photo Nolen. The span of ages of things in that pic are perfect - old building and business, old-ish truck, later fuel pumps including unleaded, and modern satellite tv dish. If that was a poster it’d be on my shop wall.

I can’t find any UV stability info on penetrol. Looks good in any case.

It’s a penetrating oil so it may not have one, it says it’s for conditioning weathered metal and fiberglass and doesn’t say anything about UV or keeping it out of the sun. Guess we’ll find out together.
Looks great! Is it oily to the touch?

"Patina" is simply negligence multiplied by time.

I agree that it should be respected but on the other hand I think that the efforts of those that strive to preserve original pristine perfection deserve more praise.

"Patina" is simply negligence multiplied by time.

I agree that it should be respected but on the other hand I think that the efforts of those that strive to preserve original pristine perfection deserve more praise.

Sure, none of us actually abused these trucks to GET them like this, nor are we faking them to look like this. We are just trying to preserve a story.

I live in an 1830 log house on the National Historic Register that has AC and a nice roof But I did not slap on metal siding or paint the hand hewn logs to cover them up.

Sure, none of us actually abused these trucks to GET them like this, nor are we faking them to look like this. We are just trying to preserve a story.

I live in an 1830 log house on the National Historic Register that has AC and a nice roof But I did not slap on metal siding or paint the hand hewn logs to cover them up.
The amount of abuse my poor Pickup has been through, and survived, is insane. I doubt it ever had anything more than the oil changed, and the only wash it ever had, was to get the cow :poop: off of it so it didn't stink when he drove it around town. I'm super torn what to do with the bed that was changed at some point, and never painted. Do I leave it, and just focus on the cab? Fake patina can be terrible.. But at the same time, maybe just rattle can it red, so it's a matte color, and put some stripes on it? I still can't decide.
DSC02164.JPG

I think that the efforts of those that strive to preserve original pristine perfection deserve more praise.
I don't do ANY of this for praise. I do it because I enjoy it and could give two turds what others think.

I know PLENTY of people who have concourse restored vehicles in all makes and models. They are beautiful and very appealing to look at, but chances are they will spend more time parked then out on the trails/track like most of the "patina'd" ones do.

Bottom line is seeing a rig like one of wngrog's out on the trails brings a bigger smile to my face than a shiny/concourse restored one ever will......BUT that's just my taste. That's why there are threads showcasing ones like this as well as ones that look better than factory.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom