Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was hoping you guys can help. I tried the oven cleaner and scotch bright and it took the paint off but I’m not seeing the original green?!! What’s weird is that underneath I can see it where it chipped off but not above for some reason. Maybe they stripped the top before painted.
5FA6A5A3-9194-4AEC-BEDD-9879BC11C026.jpeg

C23A5631-4831-43B0-8BF9-7AED4DA21D9C.jpeg

4DBE5B8B-1D88-4688-BE2E-E692E952115D.jpeg

Was hoping you guys can help. I tried the oven cleaner and scotch bright and it took the paint off but I’m not seeing the original green in places ?!! What’s weird is that underneath I can see it where it chipped off but not above for some reason. Maybe they stripped the top before painted?? The front of the hood I can see the green but side I can’t. Was worried I just blew through the paint but don’t think so View attachment 2237452
View attachment 2237453
View attachment 2237454
2E509B02-75CF-4279-9568-ED0D9AA915D6.jpeg

Sure, none of us actually abused these trucks to GET them like this, nor are we faking them to look like this. We are just trying to preserve a story.

I live in an 1830 log house on the National Historic Register that has AC and a nice roof But I did not slap on metal siding or paint the hand hewn logs to cover them up.

The question is do you have indoor plumbing? :hillbilly:

Last edited:
looks like that truck was fully primed then painted a non OEM color. Not sure what you were expecting to did. That’s gotta be painted now.
That’s an odd question... I expected and hoped to see the original color everywhere like I did when I took a layer off of the front of the hood or under the wheel wells. In some places I can get to the original green paint but In others it goes right to metal. Clearly they must have taken it down to metal in places but not others before they painted it. Seems odd you’d do that on the side of the hood but not the front of the hood etc.

That’s an odd question... I expected and hoped to see the original color everywhere like I did when I took a layer off of the front of the hood or under the wheel wells. In some places I can get to the original green paint but In others it goes right to metal. Clearly they must have taken it down to metal in places but not others before they painted it. Seems odd you’d do that on the side of the hood but not the front of the hood etc.

Nothing wrong with raw metal, rub it till you like it.

Hey your kind of local. I’m out in Sweet. If you scan to the mid-20’s pages on my build you’ll see what I’ve encountered with trying to get to the original paint. There were places where the overspray primer was on bare metal and places where it was over original paint. So there was probably a reason they painted your rig, they didn’t want any bare metal or rust. But who knows actually.

What color is it inside the glove box?
Green like the rest
Hey your kind of local. I’m out in Sweet. If you scan to the mid-20’s pages on my build you’ll see what I’ve encountered with trying to get to the original paint. There were places where the overspray primer was on bare metal and places where it was over original paint. So there was probably a reason they painted your rig, they didn’t want any bare metal or rust. But who knows actually.

yes only about an hour away! If you’re ever down here with your rig would love to see it. Ya it’s weird because the bare metal underneath looks good...it’s not like it’s been damaged or anything so can’t figure it out why they would take it down to metal in some places and not others. I’m going to try some citrus stripper tomorrow like you and see how it works. The inside paint is much easier to get off because it was painted on with a brush! This is going to be a lot of work so will see how tomorrow goes then decide if I want to tackle the whole thing. Thank you!

Spent time today after lift install with a Mr clean magic eraser..... driver side old pin striping is good, pass side someone painted over....
magic eraser to rescue!
Also used on roof, wow!
Lots of work ahead but love the old school pin striping, want it back....

02E22080-EB3B-42E2-A1DB-B27F16F192C6.jpeg

773703D4-F1AB-415D-8F1D-D592F3D4400C.jpeg

That pink might be body fill/bondo, which if so is a pita to remove. I had a few large areas that the PO’s took down to bare metal and used bondo to fill/smooth. Heat was the trick, but those areas are bare metal now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom