What the hell is goin on in Jimmy's Barn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You even have the chrome molding around the windshield too. Do your other 60 series have that too or is it just a JDM thing? (Both of my 70 series have it when I got them).
Hey Matt, domestic 60’s came with that as well. This 61 actually has the original windshield in it. Even more of a reason to believe this was a city truck.

So I figured out why the pinion gear was sloppy and one u-joint was coming apart. The spring hats on the rear springs were so f-ed up the rear axle was sliding back and forth. This is the drivers (RHD) side hat and it was missing the rubber insulator. The other side is routed out even more. New yoke, rear diff and a set of OME springs (got rid of the jenky skywalker springs/shackles) and he should ride like a fine 2-stroke in the woods :).
DE4814BF-ABCB-4DC2-8128-4247931A04F9.jpeg

1215F1BB-ECF1-4A42-9141-A075EDF9EB5D.jpeg
75EDE7F4-EBBB-4AA1-A387-3E9B76B9183C.jpeg
before and after with an OME lift. The tires are shot and that will be the next change. Drove it about 45 miles today and runs great. Just shakes like crazy and the current tires are loud. Also put in a set of 61 suspension seats which really completes the truck.

Shakes like crazy in what way? Did you tighten the U-bolts with the weight of the truck on the springs? Otherwise they'll work loose. @CenTXFJ60

Shakes like crazy in what way? Did you tighten the U-bolts with the weight of the truck on the springs? Otherwise they'll work loose. @CenTXFJ60
Hey Matt, I did not tighten them on the ground. Actually have never done that with any of the spring installs I’ve done but it’s a good tip. The shaking is only at certain speeds. Definitely seems like the symptoms of old worn tires that are waffled and dry rotted which these are.

I really need to drive 30 mins to see your amazing refuge.

You’re always welcome to come hang out. Just shoot me a text or call (713-805-3962). Look forward to having you out. Jimmy

Hey Matt, I did not tighten them on the ground. Actually have never done that with any of the spring installs I’ve done but it’s a good tip. The shaking is only at certain speeds. Definitely seems like the symptoms of old worn tires that are waffled and dry rotted which these are.

Oh, yeah, that will do it to :lol:

We just had a local 60 with the worst death wobble I have ever seen, caused solely by front U-bolts that were torqued without the weight on the front springs.

Oh, yeah, that will do it to :lol:

We just had a local 60 with the worst death wobble I have ever seen, caused solely by front U-bolts that were torqued without the weight on the front springs.
I actually had that back when I was daily driving McGuire’s 60. Installed my first set of springs (all hand tools) and did not go back and retorque the bolts after driving a few miles. Front ones came loose and it was the scariest thing one day when I hit the brakes and the front end started vibrating and wobbling violently. I actually lost control of the car and could not steer etc. was very lucky I did not learn that lesson the hard way.

Spent the weekend at the barn helping Jimmy with a few projects. It was also his birthday, and a few of the guys came over for dinner and to talk Cruisers.

The main goal for the weekend was to get one of his 60's running so he could get it titled. This 86 had no engine and hadn't run in a while. We dropped the transmission and T Case (side note: I need a lift it, makes things so much easier).

IMG_0393.jpg

After we bolted up a flywheel and clutch to the new 2F we realized we didn't have the clips that keep the pilot bearing assembly attached to the clutch fork. After searching through the boneyard and his myriad of totes and parts boxes with no luck we decided to fabricate some. They turned out pretty good and kept it in place.

IMG_0408.jpg

The carb that was on the engine was damaged during transportation and leaked badly, so we changed it out with one Jimmy had in the stash. Unfortunately, we hadn't realized that he had previously robbed the choke plate for another carb. So we swapped one on from the old carb and did our best not to drop those tiny screws down the intake.

IMG_0417.jpg

Then after diagnosing a bad fuel pump the hard way and adding to the wall of shame. We got her running like a champ.

InkedIMG_0419_LI.jpg

Another fun and productive weekend. Thanks Jimmy!

Coop (@samc2447) was a godsend. He’s being modest in his above description of what we did this weekend. I could not have accomplished a fraction of what we did if I was working alone. This is a fairly nice 86 model that’s not been on the road since 2006. Got it pretty cheap a few years back less a title and motor. My goal is to have as many running/mobile trucks as possible and any remaining ones rollers that steer and have a parking break at a minimum. Plugging A motor that’s been sitting in the corner of the barn into this truck pitched multiple curve balls. The great thing is we overcame every obstacle. The best one was figuring out none of the many Toyota keys inside the truck did not work with this truck. Coop and the guys were brainstorming and came up with the idea to pull an ignition harness off another steering column, plug it in and use a screwdriver to start the truck (the plastic part at the back of the ignition tumbler).
Now it’s off to get a VIN inspection and bonded title.
And thanks to Kevin and Ryan for cooking some awesome fajitas Saturday night.

And Coops reference to the wall of shame was epic. I’ll tell you that what’s circled in the above pic was a paint mixing cup we used to pour fuel into the carb to get her primed. We definitely are smarter than the outcome we experienced. Was an absolute adrenaline rush :). And a fire extinguisher is on my Home Depot list. I know...you don’t have to tell me how stupid it is that I do not have one in the barn

So a few of you know this barn is coming to an end. We are putting the house on the market and heading to Ft Collins. Before I can list it I have to get right with the HOA rules. Apparently you can’t have any non-running vehicles parked outside. So any cruisers that fit this definition have been buried in the woods and out of sight. Apparently that won’t fly with the realtors :(. So I’ve been getting them ready to move to my neighbors ranch. First I have to cut up the ones not worth me taking to CO. And I had to get a few Vin inspected for bonded titles. Been meaning to do this for years. Since I know the TX laws decided to do it now. Thanks to Coop @samc2447 we got a motor in the above 86 and it even runs and stops on its own. Then I had an 83 tub sitting on tires so I decided to mate it to a rolling chassis I had by the shop. Takes care of two trans issues. Actually doing seam sealer on the roof in a few min to preserve it.
83DF77A7-7C93-4D6F-9A6A-8CE4508BC45D.jpeg
156B8D38-1DA4-4F6B-BEF5-EFE9AE1D3A2F.jpeg
F8A8A13D-48A6-4A89-B416-7866F306F8D8.jpeg
C463B135-D78B-467B-BEE4-9A936DE42D3D.jpeg
F0C6FDEF-C28A-487F-A7C3-F1C435A8047D.jpeg

This has taken up the last two days of my time (plus fighting the flu. Decided to put a front clip on (bought from John @4Cruisers) to-assist with moving/storing the panels. Finally I’ll load the cab to the roof with parts and let the rolling/stopping (I hooked up the parking brake) cruiser be a mobile storage unit. Will do this with all the cruisers to reduce the amount of crap I have to move when the house sells.

Prior to this red 83 had to cut up a rolling HJ61 that was a donor (rusted out) for a 55 conversion I did for a friend. Also had to cut up a junked 80 that was left over after another MUD member did a drivetrain, wire harness, panels and interior swap. Have 2 possibly 3 more to cut up along with one more 60 to get doors on, steer/stop and put in glass. Nothin like a little activity around the barn. I’ll sure miss it but hope to have another one on CO within the next few years.
725DB58F-B65F-4D95-A946-73113996DEB1.jpeg
89BC247F-A74C-42A4-8E9A-13BEEC536D91.jpeg
21CA19EC-0A5E-4E90-BBF0-7AD31DF62673.jpeg

That pile of rust on the floor was all that was left of the 61 once done.

i spy cable locker axle$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom