Audi S4 Recaro Seats Installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted a couple shots in the weekend thread. Some people seemed interested in how this worked, I'm not great at posting "how-to's" since I'm usually on a time crunch and don't pause to take pictures. Also, ALL pictures are taken BEFORE I cleaned anything, again, time crunch, so please excuse the mess.

I also wanted to post a full thread so someone could link this to the compiled Seat Swap Thread.

A little background, ever since I got my Cruiser nearly 10 years ago the seats have been split and the leather hard. Previous (and original) owner had seatcovers over them and they sorta just went to hell under there. I was going to get a recover set, new foams, do that whole investment at some point. Then a few months ago my mother-in-law broke my passenger seat.

I've owned several VW's and Audi's and always loved the Recaros that came in the B6 and B7 chassis S4 and RS4 cars. It's very similar to the Recaro Sport Topline just with a non-integrated removable head rest, and the Recaro Style Topline. Thankfully lots and lots of these Audi's break down for good and get parted out for cheap. I scored this set locally for $100. They are power with heat and lumbar support. It's a very, very comfortable seat. They need a good cleaning, but nothing major. Eventually I'll probably recover them to match the interior better and some of my Audi friends locally have had their S4 seats done with great results.

So, the single most important thing is that this seat is WIDE, it just barely fits in there without rubbing against the B-pillar or door pocket, but you will need to flatten out the "hump" on the transmission tunnel. Most other seat installs note this as well. If you don't do this the seat will kick over almost an inch and a half into the door and be crooked and bad.

Here's how mine looked on the passenger side, it was the same on the driver side:

IMG_2590.jpg

So, I used the brackets from Planted. I checked between theirs and Wedge, and the Planted one was wider and a bit longer than the Wedge units, plus they're local to me and offered free shipping.
Driver's Bracket
Passenger's Bracket

Because the Audi seat already had the seat belt anchor point, I cut off the little seat belt tab that came on the Planted bracket. If I knew I didn't need this I would have asked Planted if they could have not installed the anchor point tab. The great thing about the Audi seats is that the seat belts anchor in the same spot so the length is good and bolts right in. It's a T-40 bolt on the Audi side.

IMG_2595.jpg

Ok, so I should mention the wiring for this, well I can't remember where I came across it, but there's a company in Germany called Kufatec and they manufacture retrofit wiring harnesses for ALL KINDS of European cars and their systems. I'll stop short of doing an ad for them here, but they're great, they use OEM clips and fully wrap their wires, its great, oh and they use Amazon checkout and ship incredibly fast. Ordered on a Monday and got here on Thursday FROM GERMANY!

Kufatec Seat Heating Harness
Kufatec Set Power Harness

I wired the seat power and heater controls to a small fusebox I put under the center console. I had an old power lead running to the cargo area for a subwoofer install that I've since taken out so I used that power cable which made things easier.
IMG_2586.jpg

To control the seat heater I used the rolling switches from a B5.5 chassis VW Passat. VW/Audi guys know the Passat uses a lot of interchangeable parts with the similar chassis Audi so I knew the switches would work. I just had to modify the pigtails to the Kufatec harness points.

s-l1600-1.jpg

Then I put them in the holes for the coin slots in the center console, just had to do some slight Dremel work on one edge to get them in. They're not perfect yet, but I'll mess with it and get them just how I want them, but they work right now and just in time for winter.

IMG_2602.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so lets get to the modification part. I don't weld, I don't know anyone who welds, I didn't want to learn how to weld, so I went with extending the brackets with some bolted in flat stock.

First I cut some stock to length with my Dremel using a cut off wheel (wish I had a normal cut off wheel tool), then drilled out some 10mm holes to use some M-10 sized bolts.
IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2594.jpg

The OEM seats have this steel alignment post I had to go around, but it ended up helping a lot with lining up the seat and keeping things straight. (Upper Left Corner of this shot - you can also see where I cut off the seat belt post from the Planted bracket)
IMG_2597.jpg

I bolted it to the seat rails then put the seat bracket in the car and lined it up, made my marks then drilled and bolted the bracket to the flat stock with M-8 sized bolts and locking washers.
IMG_2514.jpg

Once I got the fitment right I disassembled the whole thing and painted the flat stock black to match it up with the bracket and keep it from rusting.

Lastly, I hooked up the electrical harness leads and bolted the seats in and checked for functionality, it worked great. Super pleased with it overall. I'd say the seat is .5" to .75" higher than the stock seat, but I'm only 5'9" so it doesn't bother me in the least.

IMG_2489.jpg
IMG_2500.jpg

The clearance for the E-Brake is great as well.
IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg
IMG_2608.jpg

For someone who does do writeups, that was a great writeup
Tried my best, thanks!

Most of the info I used can be found elsewhere on here, that's how I got this project rolling, research, research, research (and using the advanced search function).

Oh man! My wife and I had the A4, S4 and RS4 and to be honest the Recaros are awesome...for trips under two hours. They are a killer on long trips which really bummed us out. Excellent work doing the conversion though.

Wow, I wish I could find a deal on seats like that. Even the base model seats in my B6 are really comfy. Looks great!

Looks awesome!

Oh man! My wife and I had the A4, S4 and RS4 and to be honest the Recaros are awesome...for trips under two hours. They are a killer on long trips which really bummed us out. Excellent work doing the conversion though.

I've heard that from some people. I had a 2007 S4 Avant (full leather, no Alcantara) that somehow didn't bother me on longer trips, buddy of mine had an RS4 said he hated his A LOT and sold it, two years later he sat in mine for a trip from Palm Springs to Seattle and loved them again. I think mine were just broken in more? Who knows? The foam on my OEM seats were pretty shot so this is a vast improvement, I could barely do an hour with the original seats.

Great info, particularly on the harness connectors etc. I need to take a look at some for the heater controls for my Jetta seats.

Oh and please add a link or a pic or two to the seat swap thread when you get a minute. :)

@Brodie - you get into LaConner ever?

I’ve been seeing a modded & e-locked blue ‘96 (tan interior, ‘97 got grey) - parked on the main drag over there off & on the last 5-8yrs.

Mine’s the black one (heavy mods), or lately the black bro-trucked Tundra when I’m over there.

Nice seats, I keep a set of old GTI/GLI grey Recaros I keep meaning to swap in, but leather is just so carefree & those Rec’s of mine are insanely nice. Too nice :rolleyes:

@Brodie - you get into LaConner ever?

I’ve been seeing a modded & e-locked blue ‘96 (tan interior, ‘97 got grey) - parked on the main drag over there off & on the last 5-8yrs.

Mine’s the black one (heavy mods), or lately the black bro-trucked Tundra when I’m over there.

Nice seats, I keep a set of old GTI/GLI grey Recaros I keep meaning to swap in, but leather is just so carefree & those Rec’s of mine are insanely nice. Too nice :rolleyes:

Can’t say I’ve been to La Conner in a long time, not since I did a six month rotation out on Whidbey NAS like 15 years ago. I’m usually seen between work in South Downtown (SoDo) Seattle and my home in Renton/Kent.
The Nightshadow Blue Cruisers are pretty rare, only a couple hundred each year in 96 and 97, I’ve seen 4 of them up here, 2 with tan and 2 gray. I’m a little jealous of the tan guys since finding tan leather seats to swap in is a lot easier than gray anything.
Are the Recaros you have the ones form the MKIV’s? They’re comfortable but my those bolsters split on the stitching so easily, my cousin had a 20AE GTI and the driver bolster split inside of 6 months.

Can’t say I’ve been to La Conner in a long time, not since I did a six month rotation out on Whidbey NAS like 15 years ago.....
Are the Recaros you have the ones form the MKIV’s? They’re comfortable but my those bolsters split on the stitching so easily, my cousin had a 20AE GTI and the driver bolster split inside of 6 months.

No, I found a set of the MK2 ones some ~15yrs ago - the grey cloth bolsters with multi-color pinstripes in the back/butt center sections. Circa 1991 seats, still have great bolsters, even the driver LS that always goes first.
They aren’t the powered base ones, the ones that have less bolstering (so really more practical for lifted type vehicles IMO.

Condition is part of why I hate to cut the bases & put in my 80.
But my driver leather 80 seat is finally starting to show wear & a stitch is starting to unravel, so we’ll see if I recover or seat swap.

really bummed us out, thats a fine pun sir.

I posted a couple shots in the weekend thread. Some people seemed interested in how this worked, I'm not great at posting "how-to's" since I'm usually on a time crunch and don't pause to take pictures. Also, ALL pictures are taken BEFORE I cleaned anything, again, time crunch, so please excuse the mess.

I also wanted to post a full thread so someone could link this to the compiled Seat Swap Thread.

A little background, ever since I got my Cruiser nearly 10 years ago the seats have been split and the leather hard. Previous (and original) owner had seatcovers over them and they sorta just went to hell under there. I was going to get a recover set, new foams, do that whole investment at some point. Then a few months ago my mother-in-law broke my passenger seat.

I've owned several VW's and Audi's and always loved the Recaros that came in the B6 and B7 chassis S4 and RS4 cars. It's very similar to the Recaro Sport Topline just with a non-integrated removable head rest, and the Recaro Style Topline. Thankfully lots and lots of these Audi's break down for good and get parted out for cheap. I scored this set locally for $100. They are power with heat and lumbar support. It's a very, very comfortable seat. They need a good cleaning, but nothing major. Eventually I'll probably recover them to match the interior better and some of my Audi friends locally have had their S4 seats done with great results.

So, the single most important thing is that this seat is WIDE, it just barely fits in there without rubbing against the B-pillar or door pocket, but you will need to flatten out the "hump" on the transmission tunnel. Most other seat installs note this as well. If you don't do this the seat will kick over almost an inch and a half into the door and be crooked and bad.

Here's how mine looked on the passenger side, it was the same on the driver side:

View attachment 2113516

So, I used the brackets from Planted. I checked between theirs and Wedge, and the Planted one was wider and a bit longer than the Wedge units, plus they're local to me and offered free shipping.
Driver's Bracket
Passenger's Bracket

Because the Audi seat already had the seat belt anchor point, I cut off the little seat belt tab that came on the Planted bracket. If I knew I didn't need this I would have asked Planted if they could have not installed the anchor point tab. The great thing about the Audi seats is that the seat belts anchor in the same spot so the length is good and bolts right in. It's a T-40 bolt on the Audi side.

View attachment 2113540

Ok, so I should mention the wiring for this, well I can't remember where I came across it, but there's a company in Germany called Kufatec and they manufacture retrofit wiring harnesses for ALL KINDS of European cars and their systems. I'll stop short of doing an ad for them here, but they're great, they use OEM clips and fully wrap their wires, its great, oh and they use Amazon checkout and ship incredibly fast. Ordered on a Monday and got here on Thursday FROM GERMANY!

Kufatec Seat Heating Harness
Kufatec Set Power Harness

I wired the seat power and heater controls to a small fusebox I put under the center console. I had an old power lead running to the cargo area for a subwoofer install that I've since taken out so I used that power cable which made things easier.
View attachment 2113578

To control the seat heater I used the rolling switches from a B5.5 chassis VW Passat. VW/Audi guys know the Passat uses a lot of interchangeable parts with the similar chassis Audi so I knew the switches would work. I just had to modify the pigtails to the Kufatec harness points.

View attachment 2113543

Then I put them in the holes for the coin slots in the center console, just had to do some slight Dremel work on one edge to get them in. They're not perfect yet, but I'll mess with it and get them just how I want them, but they work right now and just in time for winter.

View attachment 2113549
@Brodie I know it is probably listed. But are those OEM seat mounts they look aftermarket. If they are audi did they bolt up? I am a non welder also am very interested in a non welded install of seats. Thanks in advance.

@Brodie I know it is probably listed. But are those OEM seat mounts they look aftermarket. If they are audi did they bolt up? I am a non welder also am very interested in a non welded install of seats. Thanks in advance.

Driver's Bracket
Passenger's Bracket

It’s in the 1st post, but easy to miss.

Planted generally turn out better from internet reading - I’ve seen people post Wedge brackets offset their seats in some seat into 80 applications.
@Brodie or others can comment, I only have had Wedge for Recaro sliders/SRD’s into E30 body brackets.
No issues but Recaro street seats are almost all a 6 bolt pattern if meant to mount to a slider / non-fixed base & back like the Profi or Pole Position styles.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom