Brake Help Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C6H12O6

SILVER Star
Threads
I recently had my booster rebuilt by Booster Dewey. Should be good to go there.

New master cylinder from Mark's Offroad. It's a dual reservoir master, but Mark wouldn't tell me exactly what it was. I have no idea. We were talking about something that would work with drums currently, but could be made to work with discs later. Looks pretty much exactly like the one that came out, only new.

When I bench bled the master, the very first time I went to push the plunger in to bleed it, the plunger didn't want to go all the way in, but with only a little bit of extra pressure, it did, then felt totally normal after that. Master bled great on the bench.

Put the new master on the rebuilt booster, bolted it down, and bled the rear brakes. Went to do the front and it doesn't look like I'm getting any movement of the front circuit at all. Not having ever felt this truck with working brakes, I didn't know if this felt right doing the rear brakes, but it definitely doesn't feel right now that I have some brake pressure in the rear.

Like a couple other threads, it feels like it's hitting something about half-way down the pedal movement. Like metal bumping into other metal. Nothing harsh or scraping, just like it's hitting a stop. I didn't do anything to the piston bolt on the master. Was brand new when I started, and the piston was bleeding the front before I put it on.

Any suggestions? Do I need to pull the MC and adjust something in the booster?

Nope. Pedal seems like it won’t go in far enough to move the fluid in the front. I get enough travel for the rear circuit, then it feels like it hits something.

I now have just about no pedal movement. It looked like the pushrod length was too long for the new master. I measured as best as I could and it looked like about 3mm too long. I screwed the acorn tip in almost as far as it would go and it seems better. Still no pedal movement, even with the front PS bleeder completely removed at the wheel.

I cracked the bleeder on the front circuit of the master and I got some fluid pushed out and the pedal felt normal. I'm thinking I have some frozen brake cylinders. Going to try to clean them out enough to get fluid moving through. If that's what it is, the disc swap my have just moved to the front of the list. No sense spending money and time on the drums if they're coming off sooner than later anyway.

Looks like the soft line immediately downstream of the master is completely blocked. I pulled it out and plugged it directly into the master and it won't pass any fluid at all. When the bleeder tube I made is plugged into the master, it passes fluid just fine and the pedal feels normal. Now, off to see if anywhere in town has these today.

there is no soft line downstream of the master in OEM configuration - should be a hard line

Frame to axle.

Yes, I meant the first soft line downstream from the MC. I have the correct hard line immediately downstream from the MC. The frame-to-axle soft line is the bad one. That was confusing the way I wrote it previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom