22RE Timing chain cover internal coolant leak from front of cover. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have had a slow coolant leak that I have been unable to track down. Occasionally, I top off my coolant reservoir. This morning I checked my oil and it was suddenly a quart high and milky and the coolant bottle was empty. Pulled the valve cover and looked down to make sure the timing chain/guides were intact. Guides look good and no cut marks from the chain. If I squeeze a coolant hose I get a little jet of coolant from the front of the cover (behind the water pump). Bad casting? Could a mechanic who rebuilt the motor have used too long a bolt on the water pump? or just bad luck? I guess I get to replace the cover (which means replacing the HG also in order to do it properly) Time to make a shopping list.

Last edited:
I would check the length of all the water pump bolts first. Plus, I believe some of those water pump bolts are supposed to have Teflon (?) sealant on them for this very reason. I wouldn't get drastic until you do the simple stuff first.

As I start this project, water pump and bolts will be the first thing I check. Hoping it’s that easy.

I would check the length of all the water pump bolts first. Plus, I believe some of those water pump bolts are supposed to have Teflon (?) sealant on them for this very reason. I wouldn't get drastic until you do the simple stuff first.

instead of Teflon its usually black fipg or blue lock tite. personally I would use fipg

If I squeeze a coolant hose I get a little jet of coolant from the front of the cover (behind the water pump).

I watched the video before reading and thought "That's a new one! I've never seen a leak squirt intermittently like that!" :)

I watched the video before reading and thought "That's a new one! I've never seen a leak squirt intermittently like that!" :)
Motor was not running (valve cover was removed) and looking straight down timing chain not in motion should have been obvious. I noticed a drip that turned into a stream when the coolant system was pressurized by squeezing a hose.

On older 22r, the timing chain actually cuts thru the the water pump housing, and causes probs.

On newer 3.0, the pulley out front isn't the water pump, it is set behind timing chain cover....

On older 22r, the timing chain actually cuts thru the the water pump housing, and causes probs.

On newer 3.0, the pulley out front isn't the water pump, it is set behind timing chain cover....
I just updated the thread title to clarify that it is a 22RE. Single row timing chain, plastic guides, no signs of railroad tracks or broken guides. Leak is in timing cover but does not appear to be caused by timing chain cutting through.

I have done this job many many times! I would bet it’s a hairline crack behind the water pump. Pull the water pump off and shine a light and look down on the inside of the cover! If you see light coming through you got a crack! Good luck!

I was waffling about whether I should drop the pan to replace the timing cover or pull the head. The pan is glued on so well that I could not get the timing cover to budge at all. truck is 1994 that is still IFS so dropping the diff ads to the fun of doing it the "easy way". I opted to pull the head, The only part that really sucked was fishing the damn wire harness out of the intake manifold (Yes I disconnected the tranny/O2 sensors and pulled those ends through). Once I was deep into that process I discovered a cracked CV boot so ultimately I will be dropping the dif anyways. ugh. BTW, I had the motor "professionally rebuilt" about 70,000 miles ago. Much to my dismay, I discovered an epoxy patch job inside the timing cover at the water pump that I presume was supposed to seal up some corrosion around the water pump. the epoxy is eaten away and the corrosion has resulted in a pin hole that pumped coolant into the chain despite my annual coolant changes. In the attached photos you can see light shining through the pin hole.

IMG_8086.JPG

IMG_8090.JPG

IMG_8091.JPG

IMG_8092.JPG

Weld it up from the chain side.

Yeah, that is not worth the hassle and risk to weld up. Just get a new one.

Huh. Went to ENGNBLDR.COM, ENGINE PARTS NETWORK to look up their price, I guess the guy has recently retired. No more.

Yup. Makes me wonder about guys like Marlin.

There is a message on the home page that he is retired, the page was just posted a few days ago. He's 74 years old, I think he deserves to retire. All of the product links are gone, although you can still get his cams from a local company.

Times, they are a changin...

I might need to either build a new 22re and put it away for a rainy day or someone needs to hurry up and figure out a way to stuff a 2.8 cummins into a non lifted, non SFA Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom