72 FJ 40, adding disc brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I'm looking to add disc brakes to my 1972 FJ 40. Unfortunately, I do not have the skill-set, the garage or the time to do it myself. What do you feel is a reasonable price to have a shop do the install? The shop would provide all the parts with the job as well. This is a shop that specializes in foreign cars and the Service Manager advises he has worked on older FJ 40's. I'm assuming that 72's did not come with 12.5 x 15" rims, so I don't have that whole issue of having to buy new rims and tires as the stock rims don't allow for the disc brakes to fit. Thanks in advance for your insight.

John

IMO...I'd skip the conversion and source a later front axle, the end result is often much cleaner.

A LC/Toyota shop would be best to do the work, likely have a better idea exactly what they're doing than a general import shop.

Last edited:
'76 and up FJ40s have front disc brakes. Source a used one and install it.

i’m guessing that it’ll take 6-8 hours of work you’ll pay for to rebuild of knuckles. IF the shop know exactly what parts they’ll need it’s just a matter of assembling them with the rebuild. that’s where the landcruiser shop would be helpful. they’ll know. a general import shop may not know what they need and then it’ll take longer because of trial and error to get it to work. that’s going to end up being a couple thousand bucks with parts etc is my guess. it’s not that hard to do. just messy and you need time.

What shop are you considering?

Just because he says he worked on FJ40S before, doesn't mean he'll know the best way to do a conversion.

Most shops just find a kit and slap it on. Not the best solution.

Doing a conversion.

When you say conversion make sure you are clear as to the conversion you want. It can be done with Chevy calipers and disc's or using newer Toyota parts from FJ40's or mini trucks. Be specific or you may end up with something you don't want. Not saying either won't work but it may not be the direction you intended in going.

When you say conversion make sure you are clear as to the conversion you want. It can be done with Chevy calipers and disc's or using newer Toyota parts from FJ40's or mini trucks. Be specific or you may end up with something you don't want. Not saying either won't work but it may not be the direction you intended in going.

it's also nice knowing what is going on your rig so when the pads wear out you can replace them, or rotors or calipers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom