Builds Trail Tailor- Custom Armor Build plus a few things (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

About the same I guess, I can't remember.

You can always buzz that tab off, it's a tab for the oem bumper.

It's not the tab that concerns me. I can dremel that easily enough. But the whole plastic section under the lens is really really close to the bumper.

@TonyP here's a side shot

upload_2018-7-21_15-53-3.png

In your PM you said:

"The installer jacked the bumper up as high as it would go, but there's not much vertical play in the mounting plate. There's about an inch of gap between the bumper and most of the body - I was expecting closer to the 1/2" that ARB recommends, but I can probably hide it with some well-placed weatherstripping."

About an inch on clearance, maybe a tad more is correct for this bumper. Sounds like they jacked it too high trying to meet a statement that has nothing to do with my design. Loosen all the bolts and let it down slightly and that should take care of this. In pic below you can see the tabs are about 1/8"-3/16" above the bumper. You'll be close on bumper to main body of the light as well. maybe the same gap as tabs.

Front Gap.jpg

Your side view looks good.
553823463.jpg

Sensor (from PM)

I'd have to take a swing at it myself. The retainer and sensor have to be perfectly lined up. The sensor snaps into place when installed correctly. You can hear it "click" when engaged. I test this on every bumper before and after powdercoating. A 1/16" rotated the wrong direction and it won't "click" into position. It took me a few tries until I understood the mesh up to get it correct and it still takes me a time or two to get them right especially when you can't see the fit up. The sensor will go in regardless of clocking, but unless it is perfectly lined up it won't "click"

Back to the fish now!

J

To be fair, it didn't come with any instructions, so they were guessing at what the gap should be and using the other vendors as their reference point.

I'll take a look and if it's not raining tomorrow I'll break out the jack and try to shift it. It feels like it almost needs to pull forward by 1/8", as the lens is pretty flat and sliding down doesn't seem like it would open up the gap, but perhaps I'm wrong on the angle and a slight drop will resolve it.

I'll try to fiddle with the sensor - as the grommet fit in the hole seems to small for the sensor portion but I'll try a bunch of adjustments. Again that part is less important to me as I don't really use them anyway. It just seems weird that the grommet only seems to fit into the hole in one way, but the sensor seems to get blocked by the tabs.

I'll let you know how it goes

To be fair, it didn't come with any instructions, so they were guessing at what the gap should be and using the other vendors as their reference point.

I'll take a look and if it's not raining tomorrow I'll break out the jack and try to shift it. It feels like it almost needs to pull forward by 1/8", as the lens is pretty flat and sliding down doesn't seem like it would open up the gap, but perhaps I'm wrong on the angle and a slight drop will resolve it.

I'll try to fiddle with the sensor - as the grommet fit in the hole seems to small for the sensor portion but I'll try a bunch of adjustments. Again that part is less important to me as I don't really use them anyway. It just seems weird that the grommet only seems to fit into the hole in one way, but the sensor seems to get blocked by the tabs.

Fair enough on instructions, I told your installer to let me know if they had any questions. Not a word from them during the install. As the designer/fabricator it's seems pretty simple to line up the bolts/holes to match the factory frame plates and tighten. I take for granted how easy it is for me in my day to day workings some times where others may struggle with the simplest of tasks for me and others. I tried to make these bumpers install as easy as possible since the entire bumper unit is one piece and not multiple puzzle pieces like most other offerings. I install these without the use of jacks, just me for non-winch applications and I borrow my machinist next door to stab a bumper equipped with a winch for less than 5 minutes.

I've installed a few of these now and they've all been within the same consistency on all counts (gen 1 & 2).

Maybe I should only sell to customers that I do the install on moving forward. I'll ponder this idea further.

Even if I had instructions they would be pretty brief.

1) remove bumper per FSM instructions
2) fit bumper by lining up frame mount holes, adjust to your liking side to side and torque to FSM specs
3) replace sonar retainers and sensors making sure they are aligned properly

Winches and lighting install per their instructions.

IMHO, afull inch is better than 0.5.

At speed on rough stuff, there can be a LOT of movement. I believe my TJM T13 has over an inch and I view that as a good thing.

Ask Willy Beamin about body damage from bumper movement & contact. :-0 Not fun to pay for...

IMHO, afull inch is better than 0.5.

At speed on rough stuff, there can be a LOT of movement. I believe my TJM T13 has over an inch and I view that as a good thing.

Ask Willy Beamin about body damage from bumper movement & contact. :-0 Not fun to pay for...
A bigger gap would have benefitted me, that day. Picking a better line would have been tits ha

Fair enough on instructions, I told your installer to let me know if they had any questions. Not a word from them during the install. As the designer/fabricator it's seems pretty simple to line up the bolts/holes to match the factory frame plates and tighten. I take for granted how easy it is for me in my day to day workings some times where others may struggle with the simplest of tasks for me and others. I tried to make these bumpers install as easy as possible since the entire bumper unit is one piece and not multiple puzzle pieces like most other offerings.

I'm not trying to knock the bumper, Jason. It looks awesome and I can tell it's designed to take a beating. The owner who you spoke to was at the FJ Summit this week in Ouray, so one of his guys did the install, which is probably part of his confusion. The questions I got along the way were:
  • How much gap should there be between the bumper and the fender? (Answer is "about an inch")
  • Should I trim and reattach the top lip on the bumper to attach the bottom of the grill? (Yes)
  • Do the parking sensors require trimming? (Answer should be No)
  • Where should the welder reinforce the mounting plate?
Maybe just a one-page FAQ for other installers. To be fair having seen it installed now it makes sense, but I probably would've had the same questions along the way if I did myself, being my first install.

@linuxgod hit me up at LCDC if you want to try making a field adjustment. I have the tools needed to make it happen and you can see mine for comparison.

Cool, thanks, I'll definitely do that.

I love this vid of an armored LC running down corrugated roads in slow mo. Sidebar, but it's no wonder fatigue cracks can develop on the horns of the chassis with huge bumpers.

Yep. I had the shop re-weld the gaps in the bumper horn, add gussets, and reinforce a secondary plate behind it. I’ll post some photos later but if this breaks, ain’t nothin’ gonna hold it

Only thing I’m concerned about it headlight clearance. Moving up and down is fine, it’s would be any flex inward that could cause an issue. Rain might be stopping here so if it holds I’ll see if I can make any tiny adjustments to mine this afternoon.

@reevesci I hope you and yours are safe up there in Redding with that huge fire going on. If you need anything, don't hesitate to reach out - I'm two hours south.

@reevesci feeling a bit anxious....How you doing out there?! Hearing things are getting pretty hairy out there. How you doing? Hope all is going ok

Thanks for the thoughts.

We got all the rigs at the house and shop (8) down to my machinists place another 14 miles south of Redding. Still one at the shop and at the house, but they are my last concern right now as I'm working on about 2 hours of sleep in the past 2 days. The evac line is still holding across 273 and they have evac'd that area, approx. 4-5 blocks away. All the roads headed west of town are now barricaded off. Everybody in our neighborhood has the sprinkler on top of their roofs and are loaded up and backed in and ready to roll out.

We are headed to the Shasta County fairgrounds where the Cal-Fire crews are headquartered to see if we can help with anything there. Hand out water, go get food for the guys, go to the laundry mat or simply talk about anything they need to. I can only imagine fighting something like this to only see 1-4% gains that are taken right back away with a gust of wind.

Andrea and I appreciate the thoughts, but please think about all these guys and their families.

Going to be another long night I'm afraid.

Thanks all,

J

All,

Due to the Carr-Fire here in Redding we are a little slow to answer emails and PM's. Right now we are ok, but the smoke is starting to settle in our area and making air thin and harder to breath.

There are a few MUD guys here in the area that have been evacuated and have left or staying with friends or family. I haven't been able to raise a couple of guys. One which is @reddingcruiser (Dick T.) he is in north Redding and that was one of the evacuated and also most affected areas. Dick, if you read/see this let me know. Hope you and K are ok.

@Kmonty66 started a thread in the vendor forum that he and I have been updating.

TT Evac in Redding from the fires!

Once again thanks for all the support and your thoughts.

Jason and Andrea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom