Choke won't pull out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
My choke cable wont pull on my 86 FJ60. It doesnt budge, though I can turn it. Whats the easiest way to take a look at it? P

Thanks

Pull the air cleaner off and see if the cable is binding on something or kinked.

Was it working previously? If it hasn’t been used in a long while it could be corroded. You could try spraying some penetrating lube at the carb end, just be aware that if you pull too hard on the knob it will break at the switch end.

All else fails they are still available new.

If you can't fix it, buy a new truck.

Brutal! I came here to make a poor taste joke about pulling out but you win. ha

OP, most of us are helpful but I think I see what @dmjay is saying. You're driving a 30 year old FJ60 so you can hopefully work on at least some little projects by yourself, i.e. no shop. We want you to learn, that's why we're here.

Follow the choke cable out of the firewall and take a look where it goes, (it will go to the top of the carburetor on the side of the firewall/steering wheel). Make sure there is no interference, you might have to take the air cleaner off to get good access and visibility.

If you do have the air cleaner off see if you can actuate the choke butterfly (the flap on top of the carb closest to the valve cover). if you can't see something obvious take some photos and post them up here.

Good luck!

Oh and if the choke handle is spinning that just means the set screw to secure it is loose. It's not relevant to the function of the choke cable.

Last edited:
disconnect the choke cable from the back of the carb by advancing the throttle by hand and bending the choke cable. The barrel shaped keeper that holds it in place will come out without tools. Once loose see if you can spray some WD40 down the sleeve at the location where the metal cable comes out of the sleeve. Next grab it with a pair of pliers and try to push it in while someone pulls on the choke switch. If this doesn't free it, remove the entire cable from the truck. Put it in a vice and again try pushing and pulling with pliers to free it, spraying with lube. If this doesn't work just replace it. Regular use of your choke cable will keep it free. Same is true of the emergency brake cable.

Hi, Spray wd40 into cable by carburetor and try working back and forth, don't yank to hard. Mike

I ended up barking the handle off mine trying to get it to move.
If spraying wd40 in it from the carb end, maybe just remove it all together to clean it up.
I hung my up by one end and dripped 3n1 oil down it for 15-20 mins. Came back and hung it up by the other end and repeated dripping oil down that end. The amount of rusty oil that dripped out was amazing. Its still not the smoothest choke cable but works.

PS if the cable does brake, it mostly likely can be soldered back together. It usually brakes where the choke handle meets the actual cable.

Looks like mine prob needs some oil dripped down it too. I know how to disconnect it from the carb (just rebuilt it), how do I disconnect it from the knob in the dash? I tried removing the little fuse panel below it, couldn't see much.

Looks like mine prob needs some oil dripped down it too. I know how to disconnect it from the carb (just rebuilt it), how do I disconnect it from the knob in the dash? I tried removing the little fuse panel below it, couldn't see much.
If you put your head under the dash you'll see theres a nut behind the dash you loosen up.

Wasn't too bad to take off from the dash side. Unscrewed the little "CHOKE" knob, unscrewed the ring thing behind it and it popped right out through the dash and came out under the fuse box. Had to disconnect one electrical connector (I assume it turns the yellow "CHOKE" light on). Put some PB blaster in the carb end and pulled pretty hard and it came free, moved it back and forth until she was as smooth as silk. Actually it wasn't that smooth, but it worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom