1989 FJ62 won't start! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Evening all!

My '89 has been running like a top, no issues whatsoever. And then bam! - today it would not start. Battery seems fine and dash lights come on when I turn the key but on turning it to ignition, just a "click". Tried approx. a half dozen times and same result. I know that's not much data/description to go on but any thoughts? Feels like a potentially bad starter to me.

Any thoughts/counsel is appreciated.

Thanks!
EL

Starter, most likely. Check to be certain the wires at battery and starter are clear of corrosion and snug at fasteners.

@thenative1 - Have a buddy/wife hold the key in the 'crank' position while you smack the starter with a stick (ball bat, 2x2, etc.) and see if the starter engages and cranks. That is a classic starter test/fix from way back.

Clean the terminals and starter connections, charge the battery or jump, and whack the starter a few times in case the brushes are going bad.

But if its associated w/ the cold snap, it's probably the battery/connections

FWIW - it seems the starter was the issue. Swapped in a new/refurbed one this afternoon from Cruiser Corps and now she starts like a champ!

It’s worth noting that it’s approx. a 90 minute tasks and while the job itself is fairly straightforward (disconnect battery, remove electrical clip at the starter, undo one bolt and one nut, install the new starter and then put it all back together), getting to the top nut is a huge PITA! It’s buried just far enough in the engine bay that your leverage is non existent (and I’m tall with long arms) and the location of the nut is such that it’s nearly impossible to reach. I ended up underneath the truck while my daughter looked from above and explained where the ratchet was so I could finally get it locked on without seeing it directly. It was rough.

@thenative1 - Have a buddy/wife hold the key in the 'crank' position while you smack the starter with a stick (ball bat, 2x2, etc.) and see if the starter engages and cranks. That is a classic starter test/fix from way back.
I am witness to the effectiveness of that technique. :happy: Years ago, but son's aluminum little league bat got it going until replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom