Any good ideas for CHOKE handle location/substitute? (swapped to EFI) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
84 FJ60... swapped to EFI, and the mechanic removed my choke handle.

1. I could just buy a new choke handle and stick it in there (would it stay put?)
2. Are there any other good ideas for that hole to the left of the steering wheel?

Get a choke knob and cable and install it for when you get fed up with the EFI and go back to the carburetor. :poof:

you could get a hand throttle from an 80 series, it was used to idle up the truck for winching. you would have to modify your current pedal or see if you could swap an 80 pedal in to make it work if you have a cable linkage

you could get a hand throttle from an 80 series, it was used to idle up the truck for winching. you would have to modify your current pedal or see if you could swap an 80 pedal in to make it work if you have a cable linkage

That's a great idea. that's exactly what I'll do.

Hand throttle will not work in the choke opening. A hole for a hand throttle is present lower right of the steering column and this location presents a straight line for the cable to the accelerator pedal. If you want a hand throttle get one from a FJ62 and plug it in.

Attempting to use the choke hole location would require a longer cable with at least two curves in it, plus routing under the dash where there may be some interference issues with stuff.

You got a preferred model/link? I pretty much only buy from Cruiser Corps and Specter, but I like when guys like y'all are specific.

thats is a 11mm groove HOLE

- many early 60 SERIES in the NON USA used a PULL switch for FOG LAMPS ...

like one of these here ,

- also ,

- your OLD now DORMANT CHOKE lens , can have a NEW EFI Specific Life location ,

- i designed this little guy to be CEL period correct EFI update ,

- don't get talked into a silly sticker ..... :rofl:

- this is a 100% OEM inspired solution for u

1695102949560.png

1695102964375.png

i would professionally recommend this ne , its a 8/80- update logo , perfect fir FOG or AUX in a 60 use

if you feel friskssy ..................?

PM me for the whole ILLUMINATENTED FOG AND AUX tech 411 , u CAN do this there 100% YES !

D3B50592-6D46-4E39-8A5A-9F45B32CED6D - Copy.jpeg

DSCN1231.JPG
DSCN2244.JPG

IMG_90761 - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
To be fair, the dry transfer decal is whats on the other stuff from the factory, like the battery and seatbelt lights, and the wiper and turn signal stalks. That was the whole point of making them that way when we did it a few years back before you were selling those. If you notice the other decals in the cluster and on the dash they are all the same font, size, scaling, and thickness from the surface as the dry transfer decal and it all matches up correctly.

Its also only $10 or so. (edit, they are $12 now and you get 2 decals). I paid the upfront price to have them designed based on my measurements and design so anyone else who wanted them could get them for next to nothing.

The point in the sticker is to make it look like it came that way and there was not any modification done... but i think the speed hut gauges dont look right in the dash either so maybe its just me

Screenshot 2023-09-19 013348.png

Last edited:
I have a scangauge in that spot, i moved my rheostat to the hand throttle location to the right of the steering wheel. (that is not plug and play btw). The scangauge wont work withthe sniper tbi though, but If you moved your rheostat you could cut out some blanks in the metal and put you some factory switches in that area. Just make sure your holes are good and straight. Id go with fj62/80series/early 4runner sized switches since there are many more of them available and they are illuminated. If you go that route, shoot me a pm and i can give you hole dimensions and stuff so your switches will just slide in.

Last edited:
To be fair, the dry transfer decal is whats on the other stuff from the factory, like the battery and seatbelt lights, and the wiper and turn signal stalks. That was the whole point of making them that way when we did it a few years back before you were selling those. If you notice the other decals in the cluster and on the dash they are all the same font, size scaling, and thickness as the dry transfer decal and it all matches up correctly. Its also only $10 or so. The point in the sticker is to make it look like it came that way and there was not any modification done... but i think the speed hut gauges dont look right in the dash either so maybe its just me

View attachment 3434069

well ..........

i guess i will simply say what should be said , and you said well here ...

- my amber CEL lens was few years before the decals revolution .....:rolleyes:

-

the CEL lens there was a professionally creative idea and approach i pipe dreamed up ,

not the 1st time my Artwork has been Poached here on MUD ...

TOYOTA did NOT use a sticker or a " dry transfer decal "

- there screen printed in a BOMB PROOF ink , DTP

Direct To Plastic ....

if they were a sticker or decal. the would need a Binder like ALL the finger nails polish and stuff that requires post step

MANY FJ60 and 62 are in fact pigment applied to a PRE-CAST RELIEFS OR proof ABOVE TOO

-SO MANY FORMS HERE ORIGINALLY , BUT DRY TREANSFERE DECALS ANDS SXTICKERS ARE rare

THe REAR HEATER ICON IS A STICKER PERHAPS BETTER SAId

Last edited:
> "not the 1st time Artwork is Poached here on MUD ..."

So you knowingly took or poached the idea that was being offered as a little to no cost option for mud members, then insult it in your advertisements for it? I dont make any money off those, and Mo does them basically at cost. I dont really sell anything here besides old parts that im not using anymore, and usually always post stuff like this up for free for anyone to use. We dont care you poached the idea, but to be ugly about it is kind of below the belt.

> "- there screen printed in a BOMB PROOF ink , DTP"

Its not really so bomb proof. You can rub it off by licking your thumb and rubbing it off, but iso alcohol works better. The stalks fade with UV exposure. Its ink. The stuff in the cluster doesnt even have a clear coat top layer, its just the ink.

The oem stuff is ink. The dry transfer decals or (stickers as you call them) are ink. There are no reliefs. All of the surfaces are completely flat, with the exception of some of the dash switches. You can literally just rub it all away and be left with a completely bare surface underneath... perfect for applying more ink.

The difference is application, idk how toyota applied it, but nissan uses a similar ink transfer technique too because the idea for this light decal came from an s13. Dry transfers existed back then and they have existed for many other things in japan such as signs and gundam gunpla models. The dry transfers use a layer of ink that is printed onto a carrier film. After the ink is laid down, adhesive is applied to the back of the ink. There is no solvent required for application, and the oem stuff and the dry transfers both need a clear coat uv protection.

Idk what the DTP process you are talking about is, but at the end of the day its both ink laid down. Maybe they did use direct to substrate printing. None of it truly matters at all. Its still just ink.

We dont care you took the idea and decal and font and are selling them, at all. Thats why we havent said anything about it. Insulting what was offered to people ...for cost... out of kindness just isnt a good look.

Like i said with the speedhut gauges, some folks want that newer aftermarket look. Thats totally cool, more power to you for selling them. The dry transfers were made to completely blend in with the dash and be the same as all of the other ink decals that surround it when keeping the stock gauge cluster and everything around it with the same scale on the lettering and the symbol. No one is trying to talk someone into buying a sticker. The idea is you get in the car and not even notice its even been changed. If that is what you are looking for, go with the dry transfer. If you are looking for a more restomod updated look, go with the laser cut new plastic. Its not that deep

Last edited:
I have a scangauge in that spot, i moved my rheostat to the hand throttle location to the right of the steering wheel. (that is not plug and play btw). The scangauge wont work withthe sniper tbi though, but If you moved your rheostat you could cut out some blanks in the metal and put you some factory switches in that area. Just make sure your holes are good and straight. Id go with fj62/80series/early 4runner sized switches since there are many more of them available. If you go that route, shoot me a pm and i can give you hole dimensions and stuff so your switches will just slide in.

FJ60 Choke Knobs

FJ62 3F choke knobs

the FONT Hand Throttle knobs ALL pigment in the Relief in the plastic

no stickers or decals

ALL lighted are pigment in depression grooves

unless you know otherwise ?

FJ60 62 wiper switchs and such pigment too

Rockers can be this or the screened DTP

last image i do use some dry transfer decals

they work when you understand how to work with them for sure !' 🖌️ :cool:

05A02E13-7C63-4DEE-A1CA-1315CF9E50DE - Copy.jpeg
177-24C-U-big.jpg

Last edited:
> "not the 1st time Artwork is Poached here on MUD ..."

So you knowingly took or poached the idea that was being offered as a little to no cost option for mud members, then insult it in your advertisements for it? I dont make any money off those, and Mo does them basically at cost. I dont really sell anything here besides old parts that im not using anymore, and usually always post stuff like this up for free for anyone to use. We dont care you poached the idea, but to be ugly about it is kind of below the belt.

> "- there screen printed in a BOMB PROOF ink , DTP"

Its not really so bomb proof. You can rub it off by licking your thumb and rubbing it off, but iso alcohol works better. The stalks fade with UV exposure. Its ink. The stuff in the cluster doesnt even have a clear coat top layer, its just the ink.

The oem stuff is ink. The dry transfer decals or (stickers as you call them) are ink. There are no reliefs. All of the surfaces are completely flat, with the exception of some of the dash switches. You can literally just rub it all away and be left with a completely bare surface underneath... perfect for applying more ink.

The difference is application, idk how toyota applied it, but nissan uses a similar ink transfer technique too because the idea for this light decal came from an s13. Dry transfers existed back then and they have existed for many other things in japan such as signs and gundam gunpla models. The dry transfers use a layer of ink that is printed onto a carrier film. After the ink is laid down, adhesive is applied to the back of the ink. There is no solvent required for application, and the oem stuff and the dry transfers both need a clear coat uv protection.

Idk what the DTP process you are talking about is, but at the end of the day its both ink laid down. Maybe they did use direct to substrate printing. None of it truly matters at all. Its still just ink.

We dont care you took the idea and decal and font and are selling them, at all. Thats why we havent said anything about it. Insulting what was offered to people ...for cost... out of kindness just isnt a good look.

Like i said with the speedhut gauges, some folks want that newer aftermarket look. Thats totally cool, more power to you for selling them. The dry transfers were made to completely blend in with the dash and be the same as all of the other ink decals that surround it when keeping the stock gauge cluster and everything around it with the same scale on the lettering and the symbol. No one is trying to talk someone into buying a sticker. The idea is you get in the car and not even notice its even been changed. If that is what you are looking for, go with the dry transfer. If you are looking for a more restomod updated look, go with the laser cut new plastic. Its not that deep

what the hell are you actually talking about up there 🤣

i was discussing the Technicolor forms toyota uses to logo and words switches ...

who or what is a MO ?

if thats some new web-abbr. for a insult , then im Dim on that ....

i think this calls for a
HAZARD time out for u ...

2fd2455abc243d122832735082ecdb55.jpg.png

@ToyotaMatt You know who Mo is. Seeing how when you called me for like 2 hrs and spoke to me about the transfer decals years back you knew who he was when i told you I was making these and the cruise and wiper stalk decals. You also know because in the post where i posted the decal that you "poached" the idea from, he is credited. Remember when you were tyring to take my idea for wiper and cruise stalks from the 4runners that i posted for free for everyone to use... to try and sell...

Also I was not talking about the choke pull knobs or switches. That was never discussed. In the image i posted with large red circles there are no pull knobs or switches.

Again... its completely cool you are taking an idea without asking, and selling it for 107% more, that was meant to be something for the members of this forum for little to no cost. Whats not cool is trashing the original in order to try and sell yours. Especially since yours look super out of place on the dash

The text that you are pasting about the decal needs to change because its not EFI specific. That light can be lit up for a myriad of other reasons such as transmission issues, Cylinder Misfire, AC, and ECM issues. Its not period correct, and its not 100% oem. At all... its just a bad look, and im probably not going to be posting anything on here for free anymore for people to use. It sucks that stuff cant just be posted here for peoples benefit without trying to be monetized. Sorry to derail your thread @partchanger

"- your OLD now DORMANT CHOKE lens , can have a NEW EFI Specific Life location ,

- this is a 100% OEM inspired solution for u"

Last edited:
@ToyotaMatt You know who Mo is. Seeing how when you called me for like 2 hrs and spoke to me about the transfer decals years back you knew who he was when i told you I was making these and the cruise and wiper stalk decals. You also know because in the post where i posted the decal that you "poached" the idea from, he is credited. Remember when you were tyring to take my idea for wiper and cruise stalks from the 4runners that i posted for free for everyone to use... to try and sell...

Also I was not talking about the choke pull knobs or switches. That was never discussed. In the image i posted with large red circles there are no pull knobs or switches.

Again... its completely cool you are taking an idea without asking, and selling it for 107% more, that was meant to be something for the members of this forum for little to no cost. Whats not cool is trashing the original in order to try and sell yours.

The text that you are pasting about the decal needs to change because its not EFI specific. That light can be lit up for a myriad of other reasons such as transmission issues, Cylinder Misfire, AC, and ECM issues. Its not period correct, and its not 100% oem. At all... its just a bad look, and im probably not going to be posting anything on here for free anymore for people to use. It sucks that stuff cant just be posted here for peoples benefit without trying to be monetized. Sorry to derail your thread @partchanger

"- your OLD now DORMANT CHOKE lens , can have a NEW EFI Specific Life location ,

- this is a 100% OEM inspired solution for u"

i have to be honest ..

i have no idea what your talking about or who you are ? :meh:

sorry i got in the way of your 1-person Party here last night .....:confused:

Last edited:
I stuck a toggle switch there on mine. For now it's for my electric vacuum pump, but when I go hydroboost I'll use the switch/fuse/relay combo for a pair of lights on the bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom