Dobinsons 3 inch Progressive / Flexi Coil Review Pt.2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Right, I thought about a simple color change. Keep up the good work! :cool:

I like the green. Its a nice change from yellow & red. Definitely stands out. I'm looking for a 2 inch progressive kit. I keep checking amazon with no luck. I really like your Australia site with the build your suspension feature. Any chance of something like that in the states any time soon?
In the Jeep world, color is life. hahaha

They come packaged extremely well, and they're super easy to paint. Just clean them off and spray them whatever color you'd like. With over 30 different 80 series coils, we can't offer multiple colors, plus the skittles green is our "stand out" color from the rest of the market. :D

I like the green. Its a nice change from yellow & red. Definitely stands out. I'm looking for a 2 inch progressive kit. I keep checking amazon with no luck. I really like your Australia site with the build your suspension feature. Any chance of something like that in the states any time soon?
Hey Dalton,

We are working on a better site at the moment. For 2" progressive i would recommend the C59-222V for the front and C59-223V for the rear. We are sold out on those part numbers at the moment but will be getting more 18th of May.

Hey Dalton,

We are working on a better site at the moment. For 2" progressive i would recommend the C59-222V for the front and C59-223V for the rear. We are sold out on those part numbers at the moment but will be getting more 18th of May.
Sounds great. Thank you. Looks like I'll be buying myself a new suspension as my 19 year wedding anniversary present. Thank you self! I'll tell her what she got me with tears of joy in my eyes.

I have used multiple Dobinson Suspension's on my 80s, before I became a Dobinson Distributor and all I can say is that Dobinson has the best line up of coils for the 80 series. There are so many options. I have a full 4" Dobinson suspension with MRR shocks and my 80 handles all the extra weight both on and off road like a champ. Dobinson in AU are well known for their suspensions and @David Otero has brought it stateside!! Excellent product, Excellent company, great people!! Proud to be a Dobinson distributor.

Glad to see others looking outside the box for suspension options @half k cruiser great write up!!

P.S. the color of the coils grow on you!! I didnt find any updated pictures of the reservior mount but the zip ties were temporary.

IMG_4315.JPG
IMG_4316.JPG
IMG_7392.JPG
IMG_7410.JPG

I am not set on any one shock in particular. I know ICON has a good rep. King and RadFlo would also be in the running but I don't see a lot of feedback on them in this forum. Dobinsons is brining an adjustable reservoir sometime this year and it sounds very promising. Right now i'm just doing research.

Hey Half K,

Did you ever finish your shock research?

I am looking at following your lead and getting the C59-612v/613v coils for my HDJ81. This will be my first lift. I have an all stock suspension at the moment. But my coil springs a shocks are trashed as well as my steering damper.

I contacted Dave Otero and he suggested a heavier coil for my 1HD-T diesel engine. He recommend 3.5 tapered front and 3 flexi rears. I'll be running 33'' tires most likely.

My question is which brand and model shocks would you/did you get?

I have used multiple Dobinson Suspension's on my 80s, before I became a Dobinson Distributor and all I can say is that Dobinson has the best line up of coils for the 80 series. There are so many options. I have a full 4" Dobinson suspension with MRR shocks and my 80 handles all the extra weight both on and off road like a champ. Dobinson in AU are well known for their suspensions and @David Otero has brought it stateside!! Excellent product, Excellent company, great people!! Proud to be a Dobinson distributor.

Glad to see others looking outside the box for suspension options @half k cruiser great write up!!

P.S. the color of the coils grow on you!! I didnt find any updated pictures of the reservior mount but the zip ties were temporary.

View attachment 1454480 View attachment 1454481 View attachment 1454482 View attachment 1454483
What brakes are those?

Hey Half K,

Did you ever finish your shock research?

I am looking at following your lead and getting the C59-612v/613v coils for my HDJ81. This will be my first lift. I have an all stock suspension at the moment. But my coil springs a shocks are trashed as well as my steering damper.

I contacted Dave Otero and he suggested a heavier coil for my 1HD-T diesel engine. He recommend 3.5 tapered front and 3 flexi rears. I'll be running 33'' tires most likely.

My question is which brand and model shocks would you/did you get?

Yes and no. I have been holding off on shocks for a few reasons.

1. Dobinsons should have an MRR with CDC adjuster coming out at some point (and I would really like to have adjustables)
2. I bought an old Bantam trailer to use with the family when I go camping. This is currently occupying my shop space and project time. I will turn my focus back on the 80 here in a few months when the weather warms up.

I wouldn't mind trying the standard MRR as I have a feeling that it would be an excellent shock. The other one on my radar is RadFlo 2.5's with CDC adjusters.

@half k cruiser , Have you ever owned/driven a setup with any sort of on-the-fly valving adjustment?

@half k cruiser , Have you ever owned/driven a setup with any sort of on-the-fly valving adjustment?

I have not. I have also not had the chance to try out a 2.5 shock. I can say that after running several different brands of 2.0's I definitely know what I don't like about them.

I have not. I have also not had the chance to try out a 2.5 shock. I can say that after running several different brands of 2.0's I definitely know what I don't like about them.

Have you tried out the dobinsons or a non-charged foam cell shock? @reevesci sent me this link a few months ago when we were planning out my lift/shock combination. Pretty interesting read when you get to the temps and how different technology makes remote resis less of a neccessity. I wont quote J here since it was from a PM but i encourage you to open dialogue with him on shocks as he is very knowledgeable. http://www.euro4x4parts.com/images/4wd_action_165_tough_dog.pdf

@LC4LIFE has mentioned he really likes his Dobinsons over his previous OMEs.

MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

I've had two (Icon and Fox) different sets of 2.5s that were adjustable and while cool at first and kinda fun to mess with, I NEVER adjusted the valving or changed them after i found what i liked. I used to tell myself i'd stiffen them up for more weight or better handling but truth be told, I always ended up setting them for a comfortable/controlled ride and leaving them there for all conditions.

Yes, I do, very much so. The compression is a bit softer as many have mentioned and they tamed my old OME springs for sure. It was an instant and marked difference in the ride. I do plan to go to the Dobinson 3" spring as soon as prudent and I have confidence it will be a great setup. FYI - I often run pretty heavily loaded and/or pull a smallish teardrop trailer. I haven't yet felt like I needed an adjustable reservior shock, but I also haven't baja'd down a road at 60mph and really don't plan to, so the non-reservior 4" lift shock I run seems totally fine for me.

Last edited:
Have you tried out the dobinsons or a non-charged foam cell shock? @reevesci sent me this link a few months ago when we were planning out my lift/shock combination. Pretty interesting read when you get to the temps and how different technology makes remote resis less of a neccessity. I wont quote J here since it was from a PM but i encourage you to open dialogue with him on shocks as he is very knowledgeable. http://www.euro4x4parts.com/images/4wd_action_165_tough_dog.pdf

MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

I've had two (Icon and Fox) different sets of 2.5s that were adjustable and while cool at first and kinda fun to mess with, I NEVER adjusted the valving or changed them after i found what i liked. I used to tell myself i'd stiffen them up for more weight or better handling but truth be told, I always ended up setting them for a comfortable/controlled ride and leaving them there for all conditions.

I have never tried a foam cell shock before. I will give that article you linked a good look over. As for @reevesci , I always keep an eye on his vendor section to see what new products he's bringing out. As such, I've read most of his posts on the suspension brands he is offering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom