Trying to max out Dobinsons MRR/VT coil setup - leaving flex on the table? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all - I have had this kit for a few years, and generally speaking, it has been great. One issue is caster bushings are insufficient, and need plates (have to install still) but I have been very happy with performance. Seems to flex nicely.

This week I added sway bar disconnect and LSPV brackets and did a bunch of inspecting and maintenance for the coming trips I have planned. What I noticed is I have about 1.5-2" of shock shaft that is not getting used. I do have rear Delta bump stop drops, which seems like I did not really need.. so I can probably remove them with my 33.5" pizza cutter Yoko MTs. However.. the top part of the rear coils are still tight up against the pocket, and not drooping/flexing out at all. top 3 coils are still touching/together. So.. it seems I need longer shocks? Assuming I leave the bump stops in, I could go almost to a 1.5-2" longer shock body, which in theory should net me another 3" or so of droop from where I am at now.. am I wrong?

The front shocks also have about 1.5" of shock shaft not being utilized at full bump, but I have never tested with sway bar disconnected yet. The VT 2.5" springs still are a little compressed at full droop, but not as bad as the rears.

What shocks are yall running with VT 2.5" coils to max out droop? Seems like the kit I bought isn't really fully matched correctly.

( Please don't shame me for my filthy rig.. just got done playing around at Cleghorn to stress test everything and it was muddy..)

IMG_1983-EDIT.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1992-EDIT.jpg

I previously ran 2" dobinsons spring lift with 4-5" lift shocks.
I modified the top shock mounts in the front and rear to raise the top of the shocks by 2.5" so I didn't need bumpstops, and so I had full range of travel on the shocks.

I think lifting a rig, then limiting up travel with bump stops to prevent shocks bottoming out is kinda pointless.
You've lifted the truck, but restricted travel to something similar to standard, just at a higher starting point.

I found keeping rear sway bar in, and removing/disconnecting the from sway bar got the best over all articulation.

I had 2" lift, 35" muddies and lockers. The rig flexed really well, was super stable and predictable.
It went a lot of places rigs with more lift or more rubber struggled with. Partly because the suspension just worked, and partly driver input.

Pics are of my hzj105. Same suspension and chassis as 80 series. Solid front axle, not IFS.

IMAG0276.jpg

Rear, top shock mount. I used a hole saw to cut the centre out of the mount, welded in a 65mm long section of 80mm tube from memory.
I will eventually do similar with my current 80series. Depending on shock body diameter, this might need to be done a little differently.
did similar on the front shock mounts too to raise the top of the shock the same amount.

IMG_4604.jpg

Winch type or, cruiser at its limit, rear control arm brackets snagged on the ledge.
My buddy winched his highly modified cruiser with 6" lift, long arm suspension, and 37"s at the same spot

IMAG0284.jpg

Crossed up over a ditch. Loaded tires where at full stuff.
Front meat side spring was just shy of fully extension.
Far side rear tyre had zero weight on it, you can almost see day light under it in the pic.
Rear sway bar was binding and stopping rear spring from fully extending, but not by much.

I agree on the stupidity of unnecessarily limiting up travel. I am not running big tires (yet, I plan to go to a 35-ish soon) so its a waste for the rear for me right now, and am going to try to run without bump extensions there and see if I get rubbing. If all good, then the up travel sizing is perfect. but still limiting my droop.

I agree on the stupidity of unnecessarily limiting up travel. I am not running big tires (yet, I plan to go to a 35-ish soon) so its a waste for the rear for me right now, and am going to try to run without bump extensions there and see if I get rubbing. If all good, then the up travel sizing is perfect. but still limiting my droop.
I run 35s with no bump extensions and dont have any rubbing YMMV

Can also look into removing the LSPV as well as ABS. Most of us have found improved brake performance with larger tires but you can decide that later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom