Dobinson 3.5" VT springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.george4wd.taskled.com
So, I installed the C97-144VT 3.5" front coils mid 2021 and kept the rear OME863 coils. Been driving that way up to about 2 weeks ago. The front has King remote shocks with adjusters, the rear has Radflo remotes. Radflo's have been on for quite a few years. The King's went on when the Dobinson front coils went on, since my older son works there and got me a 'deal' :)

Anyhow, the point of this thread...

Having the C97-145VT 3.5" rear coils on for a couple of weeks now and what a difference! Just day-day driving and I have noticed two key improvements (well three).

1) the rear is much better controlled when driving across dips - the rear doesn't wallow and transfer nearly as much side-side rocking motion.
2) dropping a rear tyre off a curb is much smoother - the coils just swallow the bump versus the OME863 that would 'thud'. Same shocks all the way around, so the improvement is due to the dual rate coil.
3) Yes, it sits higher, more inches is better :hillbilly:

Should have installed the rears when I did the fronts. I'm very happy with the improved ride.

And a picture (or this thread would be useless) of how it sat minutes after I installed them. Need to be planning my next camping trip now :cool:

IMG-20231209-WA0001.jpeg

cheers,
george.

It’s time to put some 37’s on that rig.. Thanks for this info. I’m embarking on a new build after killing my 93 off road and I’ve been contemplating these 3.5 VT coils and despite the large number of positive reports I’ve remained hesitant. For the past 7 years or so I’ve been running the original 3.5” tapered front coils and Slee 4” heavy progressives rear and do like the combo but have an interest in changing for the sake of trying something different. I did try the rear matching 3” tapered coils in the rear with a 30mm spacer on top a couple years ago but after experiencing the stability under all conditions and all loads that the Slee heavies produce, I felt like the 3” tapered coils felt wallowy by comparison so I sold them and put the Slee’s back in.

I think this thread is the one that has convinced me to give these newer VT coils a shot.

It’s time to put some 37’s on that rig.. Thanks for this info. I’m embarking on a new build after killing my 93 off road and I’ve been contemplating these 3.5 VT coils and despite the large number of positive reports I’ve remained hesitant. For the past 7 years or so I’ve been running the original 3.5” tapered front coils and Slee 4” heavy progressives rear and do like the combo but have an interest in changing for the sake of trying something different. I did try the rear matching 3” tapered coils in the rear with a 30mm spacer on top a couple years ago but after experiencing the stability under all conditions and all loads that the Slee heavies produce, I felt like the 3” tapered coils felt wallowy by comparison so I sold them and put the Slee’s back in.

I think this thread is the one that has convinced me to give these newer VT coils a shot.

yea this thread gives me hope, I picked up the 2.5" version that should be here this weekend with IMS shocks. Hoping it will be a big upgrade from the old slee lift i have now with ome shocks, and hoping i dont run into alot of the issues ive read about with the original tapered version. I would note that even the new VT's are supposedly triple rate not a dual rate according to the Suspension compilation thread:
1703224261997.png

yea this thread gives me hope, I picked up the 2.5" version that should be here this weekend with IMS shocks. Hoping it will be a big upgrade from the old slee lift i have now with ome shocks, and hoping i dont run into alot of the issues ive read about with the original tapered version. I would note that even the new VT's are supposedly triple rate not a dual rate according to the Suspension compilation thread:
View attachment 3514239
Slee springs are top grade springs and I’m still skeptical the VT’s will stay under my rig.

As for the front tapered springs I’ve been running since 2017, I have zero complaints. Don’t know w what all the issues other were having.

Be sure to post up your result when you get those 2.5’s in there.

So, I installed the C97-144VT 3.5" front coils mid 2021 and kept the rear OME863 coils. Been driving that way up to about 2 weeks ago. The front has King remote shocks with adjusters, the rear has Radflo remotes. Radflo's have been on for quite a few years. The King's went on when the Dobinson front coils went on, since my older son works there and got me a 'deal' :)

Anyhow, the point of this thread...

Having the C97-145VT 3.5" rear coils on for a couple of weeks now and what a difference! Just day-day driving and I have noticed two key improvements (well three).

1) the rear is much better controlled when driving across dips - the rear doesn't wallow and transfer nearly as much side-side rocking motion.
2) dropping a rear tyre off a curb is much smoother - the coils just swallow the bump versus the OME863 that would 'thud'. Same shocks all the way around, so the improvement is due to the dual rate coil.
3) Yes, it sits higher, more inches is better :hillbilly:

Should have installed the rears when I did the fronts. I'm very happy with the improved ride.

And a picture (or this thread would be useless) of how it sat minutes after I installed them. Need to be planning my next camping trip now :cool:

View attachment 3514103

cheers,
george.
What size tires are these? Lift looks good, guess 37" would fill the wheel wells better if these are in fact 35" tires.

@george_tlc are your front coils the Gen 1 coils and the rear Gen 2? I'm kinda like you but with the 2.5" 146-VT (Gen 1) up front but still have an iron man 2" in the rear with a 30mm spacer, IMS shocks on all 4 corners, been thinking hard about getting the 147-VT's in the rear.

@george_tlc are your front coils the Gen 1 coils and the rear Gen 2? I'm kinda like you but with the 2.5" 146-VT (Gen 1) up front but still have an iron man 2" in the rear with a 30mm spacer, IMS shocks on all 4 corners, been thinking hard about getting the 147-VT's in the rear.
They are Gen2, so NOT the variable rate on the front, and of course now gen2 on the rear.

It's actually 'fun' now to zoom over side-on dips (i.e. driving over them not straight on). The springs just articulate the axles rather than coupling the motion into the vehicle structure. It's a very pleasant improvement to the vehicle dynamics.

Tyres are 295/75-16. I do have 4.88 gears in a box in the garage, but there are good reasons to not move to larger diameter (higher vehicle entry) at this time. Places I go I don't "need" taller tyres and I'm fine with the looks of the vehicle. The suspension performance is the win in this case.

cheers,
george.

Need to be planning my next camping trip now :cool:
Looks like your already loaded a bit with the bumpers so beware with these springs. You will experience quite a bit of sag with weight. You seem to have a bit of stinkbug so may be ok. It's probably a good thing you you didn't do rear shocks at the same time IMO. With the weight I have, I experienced quite a bit of wallow (DOBS MMR) and really wish I would have know and had them revalue the shocks before shipping. Considering your kid can hook you up. I would think about going a bit on the stiff side with your Kings when they come in.

I camp pretty light - kitchen sink remains at home. Basically all that gets tossed in is a sleeping platform of plywood that I can carry/install myself - but remove the rear passenger seat that weighs more than the platform :) Add a toolbox, food,water,cooking gear and a bit of recovery gear. I doubt I add more than 200-300lbs of 'stuff'. I've sat my fat 200+ lb arse on the tailgate and the rear end (of the vehicle) goes down just a little.

I think I'm good to go :)

Yep, the radflo shocks on the rear appear to be matched up nicely. I'll go with a set of King's at some point - just to keep my kid happy that I'm drinking the coolaid :) The front is all King right now, shocks, bump stops and even the steering damper - lot's of blue stuff :lol:

Thanks for your input.

cheers,
george.

Slee springs are top grade springs and I’m still skeptical the VT’s will stay under my rig.

As for the front tapered springs I’ve been running since 2017, I have zero complaints. Don’t know w what all the issues other were having.

Be sure to post up your result when you get those 2.5’s in there.
No doubt they were and still are decent springs but they are old single rates and the ome shock definitely don't help! Hoping to drop a little height and gain some travel and comfort from the new set up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom