Weber Carb Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me, when installing the weber carb, I'm assuming the spacer under the heat-shield (fiber material) and heat-shield are retained? Additionally, is the PCV valve connected to the EGR block off plate? I looked at numerous threads and most say to the fitting on the back of the intake. Not sure. Thanks

Here are pics of mine. I'm desmogged, but still coming out of the valve cover. There is another fiber gasket under the plates.

2017-11-04 11.50.20.jpg

2017-11-04 15.38.26.jpg

the two piece adapters are crap.
having been a weber fanboy for too long, i can say the webers in general are crap.
non usa aisin is the way to go.

how did your Weber install work out. Mine just got desmogged and my mechanic is putting a weber on this week. I am not much of a mechanic myself and need it to be something my guy can work easily on and he was very confident that this was the way to go....fingers crossed. Seems a lot have good luck going the weber route and then there are the purist who hate the idea.

Every Webered 'Cruiser I have been around smelled like raw gas all the time. The air cleaners are a joke. I do like to see the Weber side drafts on vintage sports cars. I've been told they are finicky as hell, but man do they look nice. This example is on a TR6.

3xDCOE_TR6.JPG

I ran a Weber for a few years, it always ran pretty good but like silver star said it ran rich, I changed to a trollhole which was a mistake, then went to a city racer Asian carb. This is the by far best non oem carb in my opinion. He also sells new oem

Every Webered 'Cruiser I have been around smelled like raw gas all the time. The air cleaners are a joke. I do like to see the Weber side drafts on vintage sports cars. I've been told they are finicky as hell, but man do they look nice. This example is on a TR6.
3xDCOE_TR6.JPG

I can vouch, finicky but bada$$!! I've only ever had (2) on one engine, that was tough enough keeping them sync'd!

If your mechanic only knows how to work on webers then time to find a new mechanic. Best bet for these engines is going to be a true OEM Aisin carb (couple up on ebay right now) or to go with a Taiwanese/Japanese made aftermarket like the CityRacer. For the most part if you follow the FSM on tuning the engine with your OEM carb you will be just fine and it will be pretty much set and forget, every thread I have come across here where users have installed a weber carb have always ended up having issues and changing it back to OEM after a couple years (max).

Always hate for webers here. I have had a weber on my 60 for 15 plus years . Also one on my 40. Both 38/38's. Had a 32/36 and didn't like it. Weber will work fine if that is how you want to go.

I also believe factory carb rebuilt by several members on here will give excellent results. At least in my area it is getting harder to find people with carb experience. The old mechanics are dying off and the younger ones don't have any experience with carbs.

I also believe factory carb rebuilt by several members on here will give excellent results. At least in my area it is getting harder to find people with carb experience. The old mechanics are dying off and the younger ones don't have any experience with carbs.

This.....
Honestly, rebuilding the carb is not overly complicated and takes a bit of time. Especially with the help of @Pin_Head 's videos of disassembly and reassembly you get first hand help. Really there is just some small parts that need to be kept a close eye on.

Always hate for webers here. I have had a weber on my 60 for 15 plus years . Also one on my 40. Both 38/38's. Had a 32/36 and didn't like it. Weber will work fine if that is how you want to go.

yeah....I have been reading this forum for a while, even before I bought my FJ60 and have come to realize it is like a religion to some people, which is cool, but I am not married to having something stock. If the weber doesn't work out, I will get the OEM carb rebuilt. I am open to whatever works and will report my experience back to the group. I certainly am an expert on how my truck ran before I put it in the shop to get the desmog and the new carb so time will tell.

the weber can be ok at best if you play with jets....after a few years you'll think it's actually pretty good.
i'm in the for 15-20 years thought webers were pretty good camp. having replaced both recently with oe non usas, i can say whole hardheartedly the webers are crap.

getting close to finding out if I am going to be happy with a Weber Carb. Working on linkage and will go ahead and address Galley Plug....Probably wont really know until the end of next week as I have to run to Colorado next week for meetings, but I am close...
FJSpagsdesmog.jpeg

I’ve got a Weber 38. Came on a running truck I picked up. I did not like the cable so I modified the aisen carb throttle plate so it now mounts up to the Weber. With this you can use your original linkage to run the Weber. I’ll never need it so would be glad to let it go. One day I’ll post it up in the classifieds.

Doing something similar. Hope to have her out on the trails by next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom