Alcan Springs - Do FJ55's have a lean like 40's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shackle too long and caster angle with shims alone is not an option as is all the other issues with long front shackles.

I was following you until this. Why would shims not work?

I was following you until this. Why would shims not work?

If the factory set the caster angle somewhere around 1° +/- .5 and you add longer front shackles that remove another 3-4° of caster then you would need shims of at least 6° and more likely 8° to get you a decent amount of caster for drivability. Technically 8° and 6° shims are available but I wouldn’t consider them a viable option for the front of something I would ride in.

Again I’m not trying to be argumentative but I followed similar advice that’s being given when lifting my 55 and it cost me a lot of time and money to try to make it work both on and off road, ultimately I started over with custom springs and shackles then cut and turn a front housing to get adequate caster angle.

When the shackles are in front of the springs like on the 55’s they are influenced by the focuses of the steering box, as the shackles get longer the steering box gains leverage over the shackles something that needs to be taken into consideration if things like death wobble want to be avoided.

I don't know that I actually got a full 3" of lift so they (OME SHOCKS) may work. I'm sure you could just use your stock shackles if you'd like.

@residualboulders I didn't know half an inch would make that big of a difference with the shocks, but Im curious as to what the total lift actually is with these springs. Was there any reason you chose to go 3in over 2.5in or is that just what they offered? I'm wondering if asking for 2.5 would be best, but if you lose lift due to the 1in extension then that may not be an option.

The shackle length starts messing with the caster of the axle. If you can use the stock shackles then you won’t need shims and it should steer the same. Little bits of change can make them herky jerky steering. Usually only when you get real long ones and only on the front.

I was going to go OME on shackles, pins, shocks, etc.. on this build, I thought they were spec'd stock. I have read conflicting information on this thread about whether caster shims are needed or not in this configuration. Of course I could be misinterpreting this, but it sounds like keeping the shackles closer to stock height means less modification.

I did not experience any death wobble with my Alcan 1” over stock shackles.

33x10.50 tires.

Don’t go freaking out the OP......

I follow. I wasn't planning on over stock shackles anyways. I guess I just want all of my bases covered before chasing parts down. I like the setup @residualboulders has because it is literally what I planned to do but with more OME parts. I haven't messed with caster shims before but figured if it is a must, I will get it figured out one way or another!

Don’t go freaking out the OP......

Just to be clear I did not use Alcan Springs so I have no opinion on if or how they will work as a bolt on lift for a 55.

I didn’t mean to imply that long shackles automatically equal death wobble, like I said above everything becomes a compromise once you decide to add a lift and you need to do your homework to determine what’s going to work best for you and your particular setup. Proper geometry and a guy on the internet saying it worked for me are two totally different things.

I wasn't planning on over stock shackles anyways

I guess I just want all of my bases covered before chasing parts down

The front shackle and rear spring eye mounting locations are fixed on the frame and not easily changed. If you add a lift over stock spring height the new main leaf will need to be physically longer. If you plan to drive with this new spring and have the same or more suspension travel the shackle must be longer to stay in its acceptable range of motion.

You might want to spend some time researching leaf spring length vs shackle length.

@J Mack Agreed completely, this is the reason I'm on this thread. I have gained a lot of insight from other peoples experiences. However speaking with dealers and experts elsewhere is also taking place. Ultimately I want to keep things as simple as possible, but that wouldn't limit me to pushing further in any one direction.

This is a good discussion on all the stuff I'm about to cut off my frame, any comments on setting the axle fw while redoing the spring hangers for a 60 axle?

This is a good discussion on all the stuff I'm about to cut off my frame, any comments on setting the axle fw while redoing the spring hangers for a 60 axle?

You will have to outboard your perches so everything gets cut off.

You will have to outboard your perches so everything gets cut off.

Right on, yes been doing a fair bit of looking through build threads and have a few of my own ideas too on the new mounts and how they will weld to frame, more specifically- I am wondering if there is a sweet spot to aim for with the front axle.

(I guess I should start a build thread soon so I'm not cluttering up other threads)

Old pics of mine with Alcan. Looking back at old threads on Pirate seems I had to adjust mine by removing leafs out of the rear to level it out.

7CFE694A-3AB2-452A-ADCE-61FBA6B0A572.jpeg

2AC1B127-D004-4DA7-9455-02A19C4B10A8.jpeg

That’s not what i want to hear @wngrog, i just barely put in one of the rear springs and it was a pain in the but due to exhaust routing and whatnot in the way. I hope i’m not going to have to pull that back out to remove a leaf or two.

@wngrog That is a beautiful pig!! I like the rear tire set up. I don't want to keep the spare under the truck, but at the same time I love having the Toyota written across the gate visible. I'm still on the fence... What size tires and lift?

@wngrog That is a beautiful pig!! I like the rear tire set up. I don't want to keep the spare under the truck, but at the same time I love having the Toyota written across the gate visible. I'm still on the fence... What size tires and lift?

That's one thing I don't like about my 79, no Toyota stamped on the back. That is a good looking pig @wngrog. I can't wait to take mine back to the original blue and white.

This thread needs more pics.

fj55.jpg

fj5540.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom