Who still makes a 2" receiver hitch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few days ago I looked under my FJ60 and FJ62 parked side by side in the driveway to look into that same question. I have a DrawTite 2" receiver hitch that I held up to check. The FJ60 and FJ62 frames are identical in the rear of the vehicle. As stated above, one hole needs to be drilled in the bottom of the frame member on each side - the other two holes per side are already there.

A few days ago I looked under my FJ60 and FJ62 parked side by side in the driveway to look into that same question. I have a DrawTite 2" receiver hitch that I held up to check. The FJ60 and FJ62 frames are identical in the rear of the vehicle. As stated above, one hole needs to be drilled in the bottom of the frame member on each side - the other two holes per side are already there.

Correct, I just sent my last one out. One hole needs to be drilled towards the front on both sides.

J

ordering from Uhaul with free shipping today! $229 including the 2" ball and ball mount.

Looks so much better than anything else out there.

ordering from Uhaul with free shipping today! $229 including the 2" ball and ball mount.

Looks so much better than anything else out there.

Rusto,

Are you ordering part number 78300 from Uhaul? Did you look around for similar parts on etrailer - Hidden Hitch 87614? I found the one on Uhaul but no luck finding anything on etrailer.

Thanks!
Mark

I put a Hidden Hitch 87614 on my '84 60. Fits great once you drill the hole. Assuming you have the stock 60 series bumper, you will want to put some washers between the bumper and the top of the hitch so you can secure everything level and tight. I bought mine on Amazon and got free shipping with Prime but it looks like it's no longer available.

I put a Hidden Hitch 87614 on my '84 60. Fits great once you drill the hole. Assuming you have the stock 60 series bumper, you will want to put some washers between the bumper and the top of the hitch so you can secure everything level and tight. I bought mine on Amazon and got free shipping with Prime but it looks like it's no longer available.

I also have a stock 60 series bumper, I read your post about the Hidden Hitch 87614, and don't see it on Amazon. In looking at the instructions for the Draw Tite 75725... I think this may be the same hitch?

Trailer Hitch Instructions For DrawTite, Reese, Hidden Hitch & More - etrailer.com

Amazon.com: Draw-Tite 75725 Max-Frame Receiver: Automotive

@yarrie303. I couldn't find the one on etrailer either. I ordered from uhaul. It's not a perfect fit, but it's a close. The width is right, and like others said, I had to drill two holes (one on each side) in the frame to have it secured with all four bolts on the frame. Drilling the holes was actually easier than I thought. That part's great, but where the hitch should fit snug with the bumper, in the middle, it's about an inch low. I had to get two longer bolts and put in a spacer to get it to work. The holes on the hitch are in the right place, but again, it's just lower. I'll post a picture when I get a chance. Right now, my spacer is made of 1"x3" wood until I can get a piece of metal made to fit. But it works just fine.

I also added a 4pin and 7-way trailer connection to run the brake lights and such, as well as an electric brake controller as I'm pulling a 3,000 lb. pop up camper. In Colorado, it's the law that any trailer over 2,000 lbs has to have trailer brakes, plus with the weight being close to the towing capacity of the 60, I wanted to make sure I could stop up coming down the passes.

The Beast (as my two year old son named my cruiser) pulls the trailer pretty good and the traier brake controller works great. Going up some of the steep hills and passes around here is slow going (about 25-30 mph in some instances, shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear), but it makes it up okay. I'll run the thing at about 3,500 rpms consistently to get up the hills.

I've ordered OME shocks and springs to help fight the sag and squishiness of the ride when towing, plus I'm working on getting a rear sway bar from a MUD member off a 62 to improve the stability when towing. All in all, it's been a pretty big investment in the Beast to get it ship shape and ready to haul the pop-up camper all over SW CO and Utah, but I plan on having this rig for the rest of my life and camping as much as humanly possible for most of that time as well. We'll use it for camping in the spring and summer, hunting in the fall.

Someday, i may end up doing an engine swap, but my next improvements will be to desmog it and get as much out of the stock engine as possible.

I do like the thumbs up I get when hauling the family and pop up camper around in the my 60, even if the thumbs up are given to me while passing me going about 20 MPH faster than I am. At least I think it's the thumb that's up and not a finger :)

Good find at uhaul with the 78300! I just got rear-endedby some punk on a cell phone a couple days ago. My hitch took a beating. So now i need to find a hitch from what i have found out looking for uhaul part 78300 is that reese 44668 , hidden hitch 87614 (maybe no longer available) and draw-tite 75725 appear to be all the exact same hitch. I just ordered the draw tite 75725 from amazon for $119/free shipping. I know i should have just gone with the uhaul model that has been tried already, but the swamp yankee in me took over when he saw the $119 price tag. I will report back with pictures when it shows up and hopefully i dont have to ship that heavy bastard back...thanks again for finding the uhaul hitch that fits too.

Sweet! Thank you for the intel and research .Now i can sleep better knowing the hitch will fit. And nowing i will have a difference of $1800 from the insurance check to put in the bank...or into an OME lift....

no problem, you will have to drill some holes in the frame, unless the old hitch holes line up to the new one. I had to drill two new holes to make this one fit.

go with the OME! :)

Not the greatest pictures to show details, but gives you an idea.

IMG_0848.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

Ok, trying to mount the 75725 draw tite hitch but the two bolts (have new longer bolts) that thread up into the bumper dont line up... by the look of the pics you guys posted it looks like i have used the correct pre existing hole on each side (the hole closest to the front of the vehicle)... yarrie303 do u have a pic of the hitch looking up at where it mounted into the frame/ remember which of the old holes you used?... here is what ive got

20170827_114736.jpg

Ok, trying to mount the 75725 draw tite hitch but the two bolts (have new longer bolts) that thread up into the bumper dont line up... by the look of the pics you guys posted it looks like i have used the correct pre existing hole on each side (the hole closest to the front of the vehicle)... yarrie303 do u have a pic of the hitch looking up at where it mounted into the frame/ remember which of the old holes you used?... here is what ive got

View attachment 1525298

I just put this on my 87 yesterday

There was only I hole on the frame on each side that lined up. I had to drill 2 on each side. The 2 bumper holes lined up, but I needed a 1/2 inch space.

So bolt the 2 bumper ones up with a half inch spacer and see where the frame holes line up. I bet only 1 lines up on each side.

I used a floor jack and drill to drill the holes in the frame just like the previous post

I bolted the two into the bumper first and none of the other holes on the frame lined up....wondering if the piece ontop of the receiver was welded a half inch too far forward... i got hit in the rear but the frame didnt bend and besides the crossmember behind the bumper would want to be pushed a half inch in not out.....well i couldnt take anymore head scratching and i cut the piece on top of the reciever off (that the two bolts thread through, up into the bumper) and welded it on a half inch further back. The only thing that remotely makes sense to me is that it was welded on in the wrong spot because the difference between any of the three holes on the frame rails is greater than a half inch, if that makes sense, but its also hard to believe the hitch was made incorrectly....either way , thanks chevy, beats the hell outa fabricating the entire thing from scratch.

Here's mine

IMG_3357.JPG

IMG_3360.JPG

Only the hole closest to the bumper actually lined up on the frame. I had to drill the other two on each side

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom