R134a receiver dryer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
eurasiaoverland.com
I'm adding AC to a BJ60 that never had it and am looking for a good accumulator-dryer unit.

I have Denso 478-0101, however I have read very credible information on this site stating that the AH5 desiccant used in this unit is for R12 (only) and will not work for R134a.

I don't believe that Denso make an R134a receiver-dryer for the 60 Series' style of hose fittings. There is a genuine Toyota version but it only seems to be available in the US (Amayama list it as being out of production) and for a pretty outrageous price (almost USD 100) at that.

So does anyone have a link to a good unit which is R134a compatible?

Thanks

I'm adding AC to a BJ60 that never had it and am looking for a good accumulator-dryer unit.

I have Denso 478-0101, however I have read very credible information on this site stating that the AH5 desiccant used in this unit is for R12 (only) and will not work for R134a.

I don't believe that Denso make an R134a receiver-dryer for the 60 Series' style of hose fittings. There is a genuine Toyota version but it only seems to be available in the US (Amayama list it as being out of production) and for a pretty outrageous price (almost USD 100) at that.

So does anyone have a link to a good unit which is R134a compatible?

Thanks
I had a denso with the same part (478-0101) installed in my 60 a few months back which was bone stock and had r12 prior to me switching over to R134a. No problems whatsoever and it was installed by a tech with may 30+ years of experience. Not sure about the ah5 desiccant. First time hearing if this.

Last edited:
A couple years ago, I exchanged a bunch of emails with Denso USA tech. They assured me the stock Drier would work with R134a refrigerant, but could not provide any documentation or tell me the type of desiccant. I frankly did not believe them. I ended up buying one of the Receiver/Driers listed in the A/C conversion TSB, but have yet to install it.

However, this aftermarket unit (below) will work for both, but it is a smaller diameter than the stock unit so you will have to fashion a 'shim' to secure it in the stock bracket, should you use the stock bracket.

Generally (here in the US), if the R/D DOES NOT HAVE a site-glass, and it's painted black, it's for R134a, or other than R12 refrigerant.

Hi, I contacted Toyota years ago about this same issue, there was no logical response . I’ve used the Denso one for r-12. To me the amount of r-134 and the amount of oil in the system after proper vacuuming are the most critical points. Mike

I have no insights into the technical aspect of this, but receiver driers are so inexpensive relative to the rest of the system that it seems logical to replace it. I put this one in when I converted, and used a piece of cardboard as a "shim" in the bracket for years (as @Spike Strip noted). Recently upgraded everything and put these slick little guys in instead of the cardboard.

the four seasons one works fine. Its for r134a. IT doesnt fit in the stock drier bracket but with @ChaserFJ60 brackets it fits like a glove. ive used it on like 5 vehicles now and never had any issues and its mad cheap.

For those really interested in desiccant specs, I found the FAQs on this site very informative.

I had a denso with the same part (478-0101) installed in my 60 a few months back which was bone stock and had r12 prior to me switching over to R134a. No problems whatsoever and it was installed by a tech with may 30+ years of experience. Not sure about the ah5 desiccant. First time hearing if this.

According to the above, if the R-12 receiver dryer is filled with XH5, then it is not compatible (quoted data below).

...XH7 was specially developed for 134a as XH5 was found to be:
a) Chemically incompatible with 134a
b) Did not have adequate moisture absorption capacity
c) Did not have adequate bead crush strength
d) Inadequate resistance to attrition caused due to refrigerant flow.

I've no idea how serious these implications are in practice, but point c) and d) would suggest that desiccant particles could break loose and clog any filter in the receiver dryer (if it has one) and/or be circulated in the AC system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom