Help the new kid thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all. I've been reading on the forum for a while and still know very little, so I wanted to ask for some advice.

I stumbled upon a 1991 Land Cruiser Prado with a 4L engine, 130k miles, and turbo diesel (of course).
I've heard about how underpowered these cars can be, and how these engines have some troubles (which is why it was replaced) but this being my first time shopping for a car, and looking to replace my car as a daily driver, I was wondering if this would be a smart purchase or a bad one.

Pros
-Good looks
-Diesel, will last a long time
-Great for camping
-Lots of room (7 seats!)
-Looks good for the girls

Cons
-Has a bad name due to engine failures
-Hard to find replacement parts
-Resale value is questionable
-Slow even with turbo (is this true???)

Should I switch focus and look for a Bj/Hj 60/80 or is this a good car? I mean this would be my first shot at a land cruiser.
I think the looks of a 60 series are better, but I don't know about mpg or where to find one.

(Link: Toyota Land Cruiser Diesel)

I am sure others here are better at recommending a cruiser for you but I can tell you that they are not really "chick magnets". Get a jeep for that if it is your main purpose. I see a lot of girls driving Jeeps in Texas which I am sure is the same where you live.

I want to add this is not meant to be any kind of negative remark about jeeps or girls in particular. Just sharing my observation. I really have not had a girl take a second look at my cruiser but then maybe I am not paying enough attention.

Last edited:
I mean this would be my first shot at a land cruiser.

We know nothing about your mechanical ability, but because the 70s were never sold in the US in the first place, they're sort of like jumping in the deep end WRT Cruisers. 60s are rising in value, as are clean 80s, but parts availability is still much better for those than for a 70 Prado. If this is indeed your first LC, I would point you to an 80 or 100- 100 for better drivability and better reliability since they would be that much newer than an 80.

If you really want a reliable daily driver, I wouldn't go with a 20 year old truck- but if you have the skills to keep it on the road (doing maintenance and whatnot) then go for it.

I feel like the 80 series is boring, though loaded with great features.
FJ40 not on your list? Tons of parts.

It's true my BJ74 is not well-liked by women. A convertible top might be the key to that.
Muddy sliders can soil clothing so maybe that is part of the problem.

I mentioned "looks good for the girls" more as a joke, but I guess my humor doesn't translate well over text

I mentioned "looks good for the girls" more as a joke, but I guess my humor doesn't translate well over text

All 60, 70, 80 series landcruisers are going to be projects. Either you have to have good mechanical abilities to repair and maintain them yourself, or you have to have money and know a good shop.

Don't go and buy one as a daily driver. Buy a cheap reliable efficient car as a daily, and buy the cruiser as a project vehicle slash recreational vehicle.

Prado 70 series can be setup ok for power and reliability, but it is quite a bit of work and money (I've done it, so I know...).

I'd highly recommend you look at a Lexus GX470, LX470 or Landcruiser 100 series with low km and good maintenance records if you want a reliable but capable daily rig. Personally I think the GX470's are great trucks with a lot of potential.

Good luck with your search. You didn't mention mechanical capabilities, budget or personal history. I have several questions/observations and a suggestion.
  1. Have you ever driven a RHD vehicle as a daily driver, in traffic, etc.?
  2. Who will repair/maintain the truck?
  3. How much are you willing to spend to buy, build and maintain the rig?
  4. Can you afford to take public transit or another vehicle to get to work and grocery store if waiting for parts from overseas or during long-term repair efforts?
  5. What chicks are you looking to find?
Here's the good news -
  • The Prado has coils and is supposed to be a nice ride with offroad capabilities (within reason)
  • Parts are available if you have good social skills and are patient. @beno is one such source, also @Akella and www.amayama.com
  • Seems well priced, dependent upon condition/inspection/backstory
  • As it is being sold by a shop/dealer, perhaps you can get some documentation and commitments as to condition and status (Tbelt, etc.)
  • If the motor blows up you can always "do the right thing" and bang in a !HZ or !HD-T, which are strong, reliable and durable with good parts support
Finally, don't buy a jeep. You will get girls but you will live to regret it. If you want to drive a durable Land Cruiser, call @SteveJackson at Land Cruisers Direct and buy something like this softop below. @beno (real name Onur) drives one and seems to do OK in the girl department.

Good luck, have fun, be safe :)

Land Cruisers Direct - 1988 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ70 #9055

upload_2017-3-23_9-4-59.png

Don't beat yourself up. Most of us are without a sense of humor. We are dour, literal and dull folk for the most part (that was an example of sarcastic, sardonic and ironic Mud-style social content).

Seriously, welcome to the Toyota community and the MUD swarm. Glad you are here :cheers:

I took you seriously because my MGB GT did a lot for me in that area (ages ago).

1. I have never driven one honestly.

2. I would be the one paying for and doing tuneups. I Don't know anything but I'm more than willing to learn

3. I'm honestly a little hesitant about the paying part. I'm a little tight fisted about money seeing as I'm a college student (red flag I'm sure)

4. That's questionable. I go to college out of state, and I work wherevers hiring when I'm home. So that could be an issue.

5. Haha, this one I can answer. Down to earth girls who aren't afraid of being their hands dirty doing outdoor stuff. But I'm fine with putting girls aside for a while for a car.

Maybe I should be asking what y'all would recommend to someone like me with little experience. Id love to officially be apart of this community, but it doesnt seem like this car is the right direction.

College student and LC are not a good mix unless you are independently wealthy or your parents are footing the bills.

Buy a Camry or a Corolla.
What Onur said.... or a well-loved Tacoma or 4Runner. Here's a crazy thought - 2WD Tacoma Pre Runner. You can go many places, including class, without bankrupting yourself. Lifted a bit with strong suspension - you can find them with rear elockers or add one if you need to.

Chicks love them and you can load them up for expedition/overland travel and camping. Check out the online listings - for less than the cost of the Prado, you could have a fully equipped expedition rig and have funds left over for flowers, candy and other girl-related chum

upload_2017-3-23_10-40-33.png

Yes, unless you have the garage space and money/time, i would definitely keep it in the family but buy a little newer than a 25+ year old truck. The ease of repair on these things was a huge win for me. But i learned very early in my working years that a reliable vehicle is a must to keep the green flowing to afford life. I have always had a commuter car. in 2014 i upgraded my older commuter (2005 corolla) to a used 2011 corolla. Once they hit about 170 +k miles i thing about trading them in. Right now im waiting on an alternator, and before that i was waiting on a heater valve. There is always going to be a period of waiting until you buy all the spares you think you need. I agree with the above. get something cheap and reliable that has parts from napa or whatever. Then take the jump into the deep end. Its fun and rewarding, if not a little like a child, sometimes she gets sick and need to let her sit for a bit until you have time money to repair

I daily drove my Prado for 6 months, and the only time I was out of transportation was when I had to wait for a new turbo to arrive. IMO a Prado, or any 70-series, can be a perfectly adequate form of transportation provided that you are mechanically inclined and are proactive about maintenance. Lets face it, they were built to take on the harshest conditions, something that is rarely, if ever, seen in normal North American driving.

Is an old Cruiser feasible for a college student? Speaking from current experience I think they are, but like @AndrewHadji said it is best to have a commuter also, if nothing else than for the potential week+ waits for parts. I took that route this spring and bought a cheap car that costs pennies per mile to operate, saving my Cruiser and G-Wagen for the fun times.

I stumbled upon a 1991 Land Cruiser Prado with a 4L engine, 130k miles, and turbo diesel (of course).

It would be a 2.4 litre. If someone doesn't like the looks of a 7* series they are obviously unaware of its capabilities. In Australia you see women young and old driving 7* series, towing horse floats,offroading or just as general transport.
I spoke to a 78 year old grandmother a few years back, she had a HJ75 cab chassis and was using it to do grocery deliveries to farms. "Never lets me down" she said.
A lot of females would change their mind if they were sitting in their boyfriends broken down jeep that needed a 20 klm offroad tow back to civilisation.

This girl has her head screwed on.
Girl Solo in Arabia

Last edited:
I agree on the recommendation of a pre runner tacoma or something like that for the time being. I drove a 2006 tacoma ext cab auto v6 prerunner when I was in college and it was perfect for commuting to school, driving on the beach to surf, loading it up with photo gear when I was an assistant full time and anything else I threw at it. I never even got stuck once on the beach because realistic you only need 4 wheel drive if you are on a mission to use it. The Boring reality is you can get 95-99% of the places you want to go with only ground clearance and 2wd. The biggest bill I had to fork out was $600 roughly one time (wheel bearings I think it was? too long ago with much less knowledge at the time) and other than that it was just typical upkeep. I got it with 28k miles and sold it with 120k.

All that being said... I just started my journey owning a 1HZ Powered RHD troopy as my only vehicle. As many on here will say, you either pay for reliability up front on purchase price or after purchase on parts and labor. I paid for it up front since mine is super low milage and ex-government maintained (aka...they can afford to maintain it and do scheduled maintenance whether it is needed or not). Even then, I have still done a decent amount to make sure it really is in tip top shape and I still want to do a lot more. I also have the time though since I am self employed and rarely NEED to go somewhere everyday. Most of the drives I take are by choice not necessity.

Now I have made my self think I should get another pre runner for a back up truck :hmm:

Hopefully this was helpful insight to you! Good luck!

edit to add: also chicks love tacomas! or maybe those were just my golden years and the truck was a coincidence. :lol:

Last edited:
My son bought his first cruiser it's almost 10 years older than him. He just graduated university. He's got more time off road than on but has limited mechanical skills. His luck is having an enthusiast at home and lots of support. A point to think about is the chick thing. Be the guy who shows up regardless of the weather and rescues her mom. Show her pictures of isolated lakes n canyons then take her for a ride. If she don't like it... As far as daily driver get the most current vehicle you can afford. Land cruisers deserve the reputation they have. Very dependable day in and out. I've been driving crushers for 28 years,my bj80 has been to the moon and 1/2 way back. If you have the TLC bug you won't have time for chicks anyway lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have a bj73 and it is my daily driver. I've had it for almost five years and it has yet to let me down. That being said I'm pretty sure Onur, as well as others on the forum, have wanted to dig a deep grave for me when I've searched for parts and would become shell-shocked by prices. I grew up with a bj42 in Canada and ever since then I always wanted a cruiser again. I have a lot of "emotional" history and very limited mechanical knowledge. Over the years I have gained more mechanical knowledge and less shell-shocked when I hear the price of parts that I need. Certain....many....things are above my knowledge and a lot of local mechanics won't tackle the job. Fortunately I have a very good mechanic who does excellent work.......if he isn't too busy.......which he always is. I've had a few "chicks" compliment my truck...usually saying, "cool jeep!" I sheepishly smile and don't correct them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom