Trunion Repack/Replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dissent

Questioning my life choices...
Threads
I've got 60K on a full axle/birf overhaul with all new OEM bearings and races. I'm about to repack the birf and wheel bearings while adding part time hubs. Regarding the trunions, do I have to repack or replace these as well based on the mileage? I'd like to avoid dealing with the trunions and ball housing if I don't have to.

I'd say with 60K miles on the clock, and since your going to be that far into your knuckles anyway, you'd be crazy not to take the extra time, and do it right. YMMV

Since your in Phoenix, PM me, and I'll let you barrow a special tool i made to press the trunion caps out of the knuckle housings. That tool sure beats the hell out of beating on them with a hammer, or trying to stick a screw driver underneath them and prying them up.

Last edited:
Agree, and I'd replace them since they turn back and forth and sit in one spot whenever you are going straight - so it would seem they can get divots from that vs a bearing used in a full rotation application.

I knew the answer, I just hoped that I didn't have to tackle them. Thanks for the heads up.

Inspect and repack then or always replace?

I knew the answer, I just hoped that I didn't have to tackle them. Thanks for the heads up.

Inspect and repack then or always replace?
With 60K on those bearings, to me there's no question about it, replace them all, then you start over from zero again.
If i remember our trucks maintenance schedule correctly (per the FSM) it says to service or replace all the knuckle bearing every 15 to 30 thousand miles depending on use.

i agree,
easy enough to change them while you're redoing birfs.
I had a set that had failed and with steering links disconnected, i could barely rotate the knuckle. I've changed them on both my cruisers, and definitely noticed the difference in steering feel

Definitely replace while you're in there. I have yet to take one apart that didn't need them. It seems like the soccer moms that put the first 100k on most of these trucks don't care about proper maintenance:frown:

OK, I'll replace them. I didn't realize how much I wasn't looking forward to Birfs 2.0 until now.o_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom