Do I need to replace the crank pulley? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pulled my crank pulley and noticed some issues on the back of the pulley and on the block where the pulley was maybe rubbing? What do you mechanically minded guys think?

tempImageR427BZ.jpg
tempImageVbhkEv.jpg
tempImage3wj7mT.jpg

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Pulled my crank pulley and noticed some issues on the back of the pulley and on the block where the pulley was maybe rubbing? What do you mechanically minded guys think?

View attachment 3550401View attachment 3550404View attachment 3550405

Interesting. Before to change anything, I’d investigate why it is rubbing and find the source of the problem. Either the shaft is off (which is unlikely) or the harmonic balancer is.

View attachment 3550401View attachment 3550404View attachment 3550405
OK so looks like there was a piece of hard dirt or a small rock that had embedded into the rubber on the back of the pulley causing the "rubbing". Any issues with that rubber piece looking cracked on the back?

I replaced mine because I don’t need to know exactly how long a harmonic balancer will last until one day catastrophe comes to town. I think of that rubber section as I do the suspension bushings. Is rock hard rubber really serving its intended purpose? How worn is the belt contact surface at this point? I bought mine through PartsOuq.

I'd replace it while you have it off, just because for any vulcanised rubber part to look like that, it's rock hard and breaking down.
They are a mission critical failure item with limited life span, yours is near is end.
A few 100$$ now, vs 7-10k engine rebuild when it lets go

I highly doubt it was rubbing metal unless it’s delaminated. Probable just oil grim and dirt. Partsouq has them for around $200. I would not trust a cheep oreilys brand. Dorman sells them and they are very close to OEM some have argued that they are made in the same plant but the dorman is more expensive than the OEM when you buy from overseas. Local Toyota dealer will want 3-500.

image.jpg

Also, while the pulley is off, open up the oil pump and check that rub mark hasn't caused the pump cover to deflect and rub on the inside.
I had similar damage ( different spot) on the timing case and it caused the oil pressure relief valve to jam open which equalled broken crank & dead engine

Good time to replace the oil pump housing oring seal too

Also, while the pulley is off, open up the oil pump and check that rub mark hasn't caused the pump cover to deflect and rub on the inside.
I had similar damage ( different spot) on the timing case and it caused the oil pressure relief valve to jam open which equalled broken crank & dead engine

Good time to replace the oil pump housing oring seal too
Everything has been said, good advise.

(Double post fixed)

Edit: Agree with above, at 25+ years we probably should consider it a preventive maintenance item

The Dorman Harmonic Balancer price from O'Reilly's has quadrupled since I bought one a few years ago ($70 to $330).

Rockauto has a few choices, there's a Race HB looks like it might be a good deal:

Agree, the OEM HB from a couple of overseas sources appears to be the better deal (new superseded part number), see photo from Partsouq below:

FZJ80 Harmonic Balancer Partsouq.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all, now ANOTHER partsouq order coming my way. Will replace crankshaft pulley while replacing front main seal. I was planning on replacing the oil pump gasket so I will check in there to see if anything is awry. Thanks for all your help today, and here I was thinking I was going to finish a project, LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom