Braking System Components - Replace / Refresh (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
95 LC here. I want to replace everything I can, refresh what I can't. Caliper assemblies and the brake lines that attach to them were replaced a few years ago with Centric rebuilds and new Centric lines. Rotors replaced as well. I now have a new booster and master cylinder sitting on a shelf. What other bits do I need to properly install these items (no gasket came with the booster), and what else should I be looking at in the braking system? TIA!

Do you want to replace everything because lots of things are rusty, or do you just want to replace long-term maintenance items while you have the system open?

Many of my brackets and bolt-heads were rusty, so I replaced everything that I could. I was able to get all but 2 of the hard lines. The one that goes around the firewall to the passenger side was NLA as was the tiny (~6") hard line by the front passenger tire. I cleaned up the longer firewall line and made a new small one.

I was able to get (as of the last 12 months, YMMV):
  • All of the "Ways", which are the brackets bolted to the frame and axle housings where the brake lines make their connections (I get part numbers from here and plug the into the stateside discount dealership)
  • Metal brackets and their plastic inserts that secure the lines to the frame rail
  • Spring clips that attach the soft lines to their brackets
  • New bolts for all of the above
  • Everything associated with the LSPV including its bracket, long spring lever, and all the hardware bits that attach it to the rear axle (I gave my new LSPV bracket extra coats of paint/clear because of how rusty the old one was)
I didn't replace the ABS unit, probably because I either didn't find a new one and/or it was too expensive and mine worked fine. I just re-painted its bracket and cleaned it up.

Other than the gaskets that go between the booster/firewall and master cylinder/booster and crush washers at the calipers, there are no other gaskets/doodads that I can remember.

Agree on the above statement to re-pack the wheel bearings.

In what condition is your 3rd brake light?

Looking it over now, it is admittedly a lengthy walk through the process of full refresh. But it's worth the effort in the end to never have to worry about it again. 👍

In what condition is your 3rd brake light?

Looking it over now, it is admittedly a lengthy walk through the process of full refresh. But it's worth the effort in the end to never have to worry about it again. 👍
Put it this way: took me about two years to realize I had one...
:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom