Found '75 FJ40 for $800....Steal of bad deal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, thought I would finally kick off my first post here by asking for some much needed advice.

I've been looking to buy an FJ40 for about 2 yrs now and I think I finally found something that would suit me, but I wanted to hear from the experts what I should be wary of. Check out this link that shows the ad I'm looking at: Vendo Jeep Toyota Verde 1977, 75.000 Negociable - República Dominicana.

I got to see it just a couple of hours ago and was given the price of RD$35,000 OBO (which is about US$950). It says on the ad that it's a '77, as well as on the title of the vehicle, but it doesn't have disk brakes and I think the engine is the newer 2F that I was hoping for. I assume that it is somewhere between '70-'74. It was a hard top but a branch busted that wide open and it has since been replaced with a removable soft top. The owner says it's still a beast and just fixed a small radiator leak and water pump issue. It started up just fine and all the electrical lights work fine, too. He took out the front 2 driveshafts because one of the pins busted and it was making too much noise - but according to him by replacing those again it will be 4x4 ready.

I'm no expert on these but I've been reading everyone's posts lately and learning quite a bit from all of you. The upgrades I foresee if I get this would be:

-Replace front driveshafts
-Replace front fenders (rusted out)
-Look for a hard top to have if needed

I really just need this rig to stay on the road for 1 hr drives and in the city as a daily short commuter.

So let's hear it! What do you guys think? I mean the engine still roars on it and the chassis looks in great condition. With time I will continue to make upgrades if I get it, but I am more of a fan of keeping these stock...

PS - I live in the Dom. Rep.

I don't know what they go in your area. That seems like a very good price. But, it's not a 77. It looks like a pre 71 hood, and tub. Hardtops fit from a wide range of years.

It looks to be missing a dash pad.
Check the frame for rust, especially the back 1/2, with a pointy tool. Try your best to poke some holes through it.
Check the body for filler/rust also.

why would you need a hardtop :confused: I use a softtop or bikini top in Arizona - temperatures are not all that different

a thousand bucks sounds good in the US, but you would really need to compare it to the local market

yeah, looks like a mutt - plus, it has no wipers :confused:

if its running dont wait too much, i have friends in Puerto Rico that maybe its more easy for you to get parts..Tambien hablo espa~ol por si te hace falta mas ayuda....

I really just need this rig to stay on the road for 1 hr drives and in the city as a daily short commuter.

Hmmm. . .an FJ-40 for on-road commuting is kind of like using dynamite to sculpt marble.

Everybody on this forum understand Cruiser lust, but I think we'd all agree that they tend to be serious money pits if used as daily drivers.

My advice would be to find yourself a Corolla or a 4x2 HiLux.

I don't know if it's a mutt or all pre 1971 (Other than the front turn signals).

Does it also have two round lights on the rear?

Everybody on this forum understand Cruiser lust, but I think we'd all agree that they tend to be serious money pits if used as daily drivers.

:confused: I would have no hesitation to daily drive mine if I lived where it lives

I don't see what would cost that much more (except for gas :doh:) than it does now as a weekend wheeler

My 76 fj40 its my only DD and play toy,i use it everyday...no rest..in 16 months i just put gas,2 tires for the front and the normal oil and fluids...work from house its just 3 miles..but playgrounds trails and the beach easy 80 miles one way plus the abuse inside the mud and i return on my 4 wheels...not like my friends Jeeps or LR always something broke...

Hmmm. . .an FJ-40 for on-road commuting is kind of like using dynamite to sculpt marble.

Given where he lives... It could be an excellent DD. Decent roads are something we often take for granted.:cheers:

I don't know what they go in your area. That seems like a very good price. But, it's not a 77. It looks like a pre 71 hood, and tub. Hardtops fit from a wide range of years.

It looks to be missing a dash pad.
Check the frame for rust, especially the back 1/2, with a pointy tool. Try your best to poke some holes through it.
Check the body for filler/rust also.

The chassis is rock solid all the way through, front to back. There is significant rust on the body though - but it's mostly the exterior. The tub looks good but the hood, front side panels, and front tire covers are all pretty janky. Not to mention they have been replaced with some custom parts.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from with that advice, but I will be offroading on it to get to and from the farm which is all dirt roads. Also, will need it for some day trips into the mountains. Is there any way to tell for sure what year it is from up close and no access to internet. I knew it was pre '76 because of the brakes but that's all I can tell with my 'expertise'.

why would you need a hardtop :confused: I use a softtop or bikini top in Arizona - temperatures are not all that different

a thousand bucks sounds good in the US, but you would really need to compare it to the local market

yeah, looks like a mutt - plus, it has no wipers :confused:

I am planning on getting it - gonna offer him about RD$25,000 for it (US$730). The soft top is custom make though - the owner's brother/mechanic made it after the hard top was damaged. I didn't like that they drilled holes in the tub to bolt on the rear supports for it, but I guess it's really, really removable....as opposed to being welded on.

if its running dont wait too much, i have friends in Puerto Rico that maybe its more easy for you to get parts..Tambien hablo espa~ol por si te hace falta mas ayuda....

Gracias amigo, te tendre presente con eso y te digo como va todo.

@everyone:
The market for these is pretty non-existent so the price seems great. I just wonder about finding out what year it is next time I see it. If you guys could give me some pointers that would be great - I know the history but picking things out on the fly is much harder. I also noticed the doors are a little different (they have window cranks but no glass).

Thanks

Year.
Hood 58-9/71
Tub ?-9/71
Doors 63-74 modified into 1/2 doors.
Windshield securing by dash 68-9/72 (big hand screw)
No radio hole in dash 68-9/72
Front bench 63-9/72
Steering column 63-9/72

The parts are consistently indicating 68-9/71

The most certain may to know the age of the frame is the Frame serial number chart Specter Off-Road, Inc.-Land Cruiser Parts & Accessories - FJ40 Frame Numbers
The serial number is usually stamped into the outside of the right frame rail (in front of the front tire and behind the bumper).

Engine serial number (on block near distributor)
F chart Specter Off-Road, Inc.-Land Cruiser Parts & Accessories -Engine Serial Numbers
2F chart Specter Off-Road, Inc.-Land Cruiser Parts & Accessories -Engine Serial Numbers

If you can, print off the charts and bring them with you. If you find serial numbers you'll know more.

One more thought, do you remember where the oil filter was? F engines have them on the air intake. The 1974 F or the 1.5 F have them beside the distributor. 2F engines also have them beside the distributor.

Last edited:
Year.

If you can, print off the charts and bring them with you. If you find serial numbers you'll know more.

Wow, thanks for all the help. I'm guessing it's a '71 and someone misread or wrote over the title to show '77. Sometimes it gets sneaky around here like that. I will print those out and find out for sure what I'm dealing with.

Nonetheless, I'm most likely going to get it - will post better pics of it once I do.

Great eye on each part.

One other way... It may have a label on the drivers door post, or under the hood.

If you're lucky that is. :D

well im picking this one up for about US$670. It runs, has a ****load of rust and a ridiculous amount of mods done throughout its lifetime to keep it running but it's what I need for right now. Gonna start by working the brakes and then move towards wiring and maybe an engine rebuild. Looking for a new chassis too. Luckily this country is a FJ graveyard at the junker. Will upload better pics once I get it. thanks for all the help guys

Heck yeah, I'd pay double for what your really getting...it has issues but its mostly there, Good luck!

Hey guys,

Found out that the chassis is BJ40007963 and the engine is a B0128824. Any resources on BJ years and types? Would like to determine if this is really a 77 or something else.

Thanks,
J

sound like a diesel engine..if still there...nothing more clear than a picture or two....did you know if its gas engine or diesel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom