75 fj40 steering column removal. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20231114_145715.jpg

how is the yoke held on to the shaft coming out of the firewall?
is there a set screw?

the yoke would need to come off, loosen or remove set screw from the bearing mounted on the firewall, clean shaft with emery cloth and remove whatever inside to remove the column/shaft

The upper shaft to yoke appears welded. Bad P.O.. The lower yoke has a pin which I assume holds it to the hex shaft. I'll try removing the pin.
20231114_145736.jpg

The upper shaft to yoke appears welded. Bad P.O.. The lower yoke has a pin which I assume holds it to the hex shaft. I'll try removing the pin.View attachment 3481576

you will need to cut the shaft. above the universal, below the bearing.

if you are good you can cut the socket, just the socket not the shaft, below the weld, remove the lower section, grind the weld of the upper section, slip the bearing off and then pull the column out of the firewall.

you will need to cut the shaft. above the universal, below the bearing.

if you are good you can cut the socket, just the socket not the shaft, below the weld, remove the lower section, grind the weld of the upper section, slip the bearing off and then pull the column out of the firewall.

You can disconnect the shaft from the box and either remove the steering wheel, remove the snap ring and slide the shaft inside the column out thru thr bottom of the column. Or pull the column and shaft out thru the cabin.

Last edited:
It's no different than if the rag joint end was still attached to the bottom of the column.

You can disconnect the shaft from the box and either remove the steering wheel, remove the snap ring and slide the shaft inside the column out thru thr bottom of the column. Or pull the column and shaft out thru the cabin.
yeah for some reason i thought that bearing was on the firewall not the bucket for the column

Well I ended up leaving the column in place and dropping just the center shaft out. It was pretty simple. Steering wheel came if easy, Pull the blinker switch, take the snap ring retainer plate off, one snap ring off, bearing slides off the shaft. After that, my shaft slid right out into the engine bay. Thanks Mace for the pointer.

I was thinking the bearing was attached directly to the firewall also.
is the 4 bolt bearing attached to the firewall or to a bucket that is bolted to the firewall?
there might be enough room to go out the bottom, the bearing will swivel in the mount

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom