Intro - “New” ‘75 FJ40, 2F, 4 Speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_2129.jpeg
Greetings—I found this forum while considering a restoration project to be very useful. I abandoned the restoration project and found another FJ40 in pretty good shape—the journey has just started!

I was told everything is original (except for the paint). I was also told everything was in tip top shape… “no leaks” “original spare” “brand new clutch”… well she’s leaking in several places, and the spare wheel has a completely different offset that won’t work, and the clutch failed on me today…

Still, at almost 50 years old I think I have a good machine.

I have no background knowledge on automotive repair or general mechanical insight for that matter, but eager to learn about these.

IMG_2153.jpeg

IMG_2154.jpeg

View attachment 3571924Greetings—I found this forum while considering a restoration project to be very useful. I abandoned the restoration project and found another FJ40 in pretty good shape—the journey has just started!

I was told everything is original (except for the paint). I was also told everything was in tip top shape… “no leaks” “original spare” “brand new clutch”… well she’s leaking in several places, and the spare wheel has a completely different offset that won’t work, and the clutch failed on me today…

Still, at almost 50 years old I think I have a good machine.

I have no background knowledge on automotive repair or general mechanical insight for that matter, but eager to learn about these.

View attachment 3571925

View attachment 3571926
Lots of non-OE stuff but lots to love as well.
Where abouts in Texas are you?

Let’s see some more pics.

Looks nice! Buy the rig not the story, people often don't actually know or down right lie.
Pick your vendor's carefully, some are wonderful some not so much.

Clutch failed how? Could be a bad master or slave cylinder. Cheap and easy fix. You can get new parts or try putting a kit in them. Actual clutch failed. I pull the engine, tranny and transfer in one piece, takes me about 3 hours start to finish by myself with a good A frame. Good time to fix the rear main engine seal.

Looks nice! Buy the rig not the story, people often don't actually know or down right lie.

Clutch failed how? Could be a bad master or slave cylinder. Cheap and easy fix. You can get new parts or try putting a kit in them. Actual clutch failed. I pull the engine, tranny and transfer in one piece, takes me about 3 hours start to finish by myself with a good A frame. Good time to fix the rear main engine seal.
“Buy the rig not the story”
So good

And front input on the trans.

1709476410155.png

Looking at this I thought you had some voodoo shackle thing happening then realized the shackles are almost the exact tone/shade as the pavement.

I kind of wished you had voodoo shackles…

It appears to be a pretty nice 40. Congrats. I'd be interested in a pic of the steering box location. The lines appear to be pretty far back into the crossmember.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom