Found '75 FJ40 for $800....Steal of bad deal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well...

Turns out this thing is older than I thought. Serial number on the engine block is F 271003. Which is earlier than anything I've found on this site. 3 speed tranny and the brakes are all drum with no booster. The last guy put a Datsun carb on it so the mileage is actually pretty good on the highway.

Currently have the engine pulled out and am in the process of doin a complete cleanup. Oil filter had been cut off and removed so that is going back on as well as the 4x4.

Which brings me to the next question: can the locking hubcaps be adapted to fit these vehicles. Mine has the caps that keep the front wheels engaged all the time and I would rather be able to switch on and off....

Thanks, will post pics soon.

J

Sound like you've got "drive flanges". They are easily replaced with "Warn" manual hubs for that age of truck. They are readily available... Although I don't know about where you are.

Many prefer "Asian" hubs but I don't believe they'll work with the older coarse spline axles that are on the drum axles.

Last edited:
Hi all, thought I would finally kick off my first post here by asking for some much needed advice.

I've been looking to buy an FJ40 for about 2 yrs now and I think I finally found something that would suit me, but I wanted to hear from the experts what I should be wary of. Check out this link that shows the ad I'm looking at: Vendo Jeep Toyota Verde 1977, 75.000 Negociable - República Dominicana.

I got to see it just a couple of hours ago and was given the price of RD$35,000 OBO (which is about US$950). It says on the ad that it's a '77, as well as on the title of the vehicle, but it doesn't have disk brakes and I think the engine is the newer 2F that I was hoping for. I assume that it is somewhere between '70-'74. It was a hard top but a branch busted that wide open and it has since been replaced with a removable soft top. The owner says it's still a beast and just fixed a small radiator leak and water pump issue. It started up just fine and all the electrical lights work fine, too. He took out the front 2 driveshafts because one of the pins busted and it was making too much noise - but according to him by replacing those again it will be 4x4 ready.

I'm no expert on these but I've been reading everyone's posts lately and learning quite a bit from all of you. The upgrades I foresee if I get this would be:

-Replace front driveshafts
-Replace front fenders (rusted out)
-Look for a hard top to have if needed

I really just need this rig to stay on the road for 1 hr drives and in the city as a daily short commuter.

So let's hear it! What do you guys think? I mean the engine still roars on it and the chassis looks in great condition. With time I will continue to make upgrades if I get it, but I am more of a fan of keeping these stock...

PS - I live in the Dom. Rep.

I use mine as a daily driver in and out of the city with no problems at all and traffic here in the Philippines sucks big time lol. Go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom